3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

amplifier board for 92 max

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

amplifier board for 92 max

Does anyone know where you can get a rear amp for a 92 maxima. I tried replacing the capacitors on 3 amplifiers and screwed one up in the process. I looked on e-bay, but haven't seen much of anything.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:24 PM

are u talking about the factory amp? why not just buy a cheap multi channel aftermarket amp?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:10 PM

aparently he wants to keep his factory blose instead of getting somthing that sounds better than a $2 portable radio sitting in a coffee can..

Most bose products that are actually made by bose are decent, but the bose stereo in 3rd gens (probably others too, not sure though) are made by clarion with some bose engineering..better than a standard factory system but not an equal by any means to a low end aftermarket stereo..spend $75 on a 2002 pioneer DEH-1400 (DEH-14 if you get it from wal-mart) and don't use the "loud" feature and keep the volume down and you will have a better system until you blow your factory speakers..or spend another $50-$75 on some inexpensive speakers and have a car audio system better than any standard/"premium" factory stereo..now, I'm not talking about comparing it to the acousticly tuned custom bose system that was installed in some cadillacs..

just a thought..
Old 01-07-2004, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by nismo_s13
are u talking about the factory amp? why not just buy a cheap multi channel aftermarket amp?
I didn't realize that was an option. Being that I know nothing about doing that, where can you get one to match up to the factory Bose speakers? Are connections fairly standard or do you need to pull the connectors off the existing to mount to the wiring harness.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
aparently he wants to keep his factory blose instead of getting somthing that sounds better than a $2 portable radio sitting in a coffee can..

Most bose products that are actually made by bose are decent, but the bose stereo in 3rd gens (probably others too, not sure though) are made by clarion with some bose engineering..better than a standard factory system but not an equal by any means to a low end aftermarket stereo..spend $75 on a 2002 pioneer DEH-1400 (DEH-14 if you get it from wal-mart) and don't use the "loud" feature and keep the volume down and you will have a better system until you blow your factory speakers..or spend another $50-$75 on some inexpensive speakers and have a car audio system better than any standard/"premium" factory stereo..now, I'm not talking about comparing it to the acousticly tuned custom bose system that was installed in some cadillacs..

just a thought..
I was under the impression that I can not mix and match my system. I either have to do a complete system replacement or make the Bose system work. This is my vehicle for the work drive, and I'd rather not drop a complete stereo system into it. That's why I tried the capacitor replacement and got all but one of the speakers working again. I'm fairly sure I ruined the amplifier board on one of the rears though.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by irwinwd
I was under the impression that I can not mix and match my system. I either have to do a complete system replacement or make the Bose system work. This is my vehicle for the work drive, and I'd rather not drop a complete stereo system into it. That's why I tried the capacitor replacement and got all but one of the speakers working again. I'm fairly sure I ruined the amplifier board on one of the rears though.
Bose is difficult to get to work properly, but I understand you not wanting to spend all of the time and money to change over to the aftermarket.

If you do go to aftermarket, you need to replace all four speakers and the HU. If you try to mix and match, I think most people have found that the speakers/amps will blow and burn up. I had a $50 Peripheral Bose adapter in mine (stock amps/speakers, aftermarket HU) and it sounded very good at first. A few years later, everything went kaput. Bose just doesn't seem to work well with anything but Bose.

If I were in your position, I would just keep searching for a rear Bose amp. You might have some difficulty because they are used a lot to put aftermarket 6x9s in the rear deck (they are already the right size to fit around everything under there). You can still listen to three of the speakers, so use that until you find one. Since you seem to know how to fix them, just start hunting the junkyards for the rear amps. I would have to guess that most of the time they are still in there and you might have a chance of finding one that works already.

chris
Old 01-07-2004, 10:38 AM
e_is_chillin

I have two factory style amps that the factory 6x9's sit in if you're interested.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by irwinwd
I didn't realize that was an option. Being that I know nothing about doing that, where can you get one to match up to the factory Bose speakers? Are connections fairly standard or do you need to pull the connectors off the existing to mount to the wiring harness.
It's not an option. The Bose headend has a 1 ohm rating as does the Bose amps and speakers. You'll burn up an aftermarket amp trying to drive those unless it's rated for it. Most I see are only rated at 1 ohm if they're in bridged mode meaning you'd have to buy one for each speaker you want to drive.

A better, cheaper and more expandable fix is just to rip out the Bose crap, drop it in the trash and put in inexpensive aftermarket stuff. A complete 4 speaker, AM/FM/CD can be done for under $250 these days. It's not hard to do and it will sound better then the Bose did when it was new.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:28 PM
mod or sell?

I have the amps if you want em' but don't know if they work.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I have the amps if you want em' but don't know if they work.
I have one working bose amp. Took it out of my 93 maxima when i did a new stereo system. You can get it from me if you want. it is just sitting in my garage taking up space.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:34 PM

you CAN modify aftermarket amps to be stable in 0.5 ohm and 1 ohm settings, but you had better be really good with a soldering iron..I know only a tiny ammount about doing it, but a friend of mine wired one of my old amps that would cut out and get hot at 2 ohms down to 0.5 ohm bridged stable, and was driving a 1500w 15" sub with a 150w amp and it was pretty loud..If you know how to bypass the factory amps and wire the speakers in series, you'll get sound with an aftermarket amp, but it wont have the same stereo effect..you'll probably only use 1 side for the front and 1 side for the back to drive 4 speakers..or if your fronts work fine and its just the back thats bad, you could just run 1 amp for the back and it would work just fine..I'd have to think fairly hard to remember how to wire in series..but with 1 ohm speakers wired in series, you would have a 2 ohm load, which many amps are stable at in stereo or bridged mode..just keep the output level turned down quite a bit..
Old 01-07-2004, 07:08 PM

I too have one working rear amp if you would like it. Just let me know. I don't wan't anything for it, just pay for shipping.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:10 AM

thanks for the help all

All thanks for the help, I think I got what I need.