3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Info on Turbo kit from millennium autosports

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Info on Turbo kit from millennium autosports

Well I spoke to MaXtUneD and got his feedback and he said there service was A+ and he was very happy as far as the driveability and the overall worksmanship. (not his exact words but what I gathered from his answers)

So I called up Millennium today and spoke to Brian (pretty sure he runs the shop) he was a real cool guy, really helpfull and willing to answer my questions and deal with my concerns. He gave me a ballpark price but wanted to talk it over with the guy who designs the turbo systems (he wont be back till tuesday) so he wont have a solid price till tuesday night (ill post it after I speak to him)
from our conversation it sounds like they really know what there doing and from their website it looks that way too. we went over a few different options and this is basically the "kit" we came up with

t3/t4 turbo (forgot to ask but Im assuming turbonetics)
Spearco intercooler about 8"X20"x2" or 2.5"
All mandrel bent piping
3" mandrel bent exhaust with muffler
FMU
AFC
HKS bov (can be swapped with another brand)
turbonetics evo wastegate
he also said hes going to figure in larger injectors and the heat wrapping and all the other little stuff.

he gave me ball park of 4-5k installed tuned etc... but it could be alittle lower or higher. I didnt ask about gauges but I will speak to him about that on tuesday. He's also gonna let me know which size turbo the guy who designs the system wants to go with but he said a larger size t3/t4. As far as group pricing I doubt we could get more than two people but if anyone thinks they want to Ill probably be doing this early to late spring so if you think you could do it around the same time mabey he can give us a small price break.

anyway if you guys have any other questions that you want me to ask him let me know and I will.

this is there site www.millenniumautosports.com
Old 01-18-2004, 12:28 AM

man..this is getting too fast to comprehend with. turbo ves? that's a real shuddering thought. However, I'd like to say at this point that maxd (and 4signs) should observe their cars for a couple of months and document any problems, etc that might come up. Also, with the major breakthrough that Aaron has pioneered and with more to come from his very hard work, I say you hold on for a while till it is confirmed that maximum benefit can be got from both the zemulator work as well as the possible millenium kit together.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If your talking late spring, I'd be in for sure. But I like lophix's thoughts. Aaron has done some really cool things, and I want to stay tuned for his end results.

I also need to have my 5 spd swap done...
Old 01-18-2004, 05:14 AM

you're so indecisive
Old 01-18-2004, 07:12 AM

Late spring huh, i'll be working and should have that amount of money to get it done. Now its the matter of me wanting to do this to my car But I am interested in seeing the price for this kit keep me updated Jason
Old 01-18-2004, 07:23 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

That's some awesome pricing, even with it being preliminary. Especially considering it'd be a sort of minimally duplicated "one-off". I'd probably only be able to get half that together in that short of time. Good luck on it, and I'm interested in seeing the TOTAL end result of everyone's work on this one!!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

well what 4signs does really doesnt he doesnt have this kit, and talkin to these guys I got the impression that there not talking **** they really know there stuff. he told me that there not just gonna bend some pipes and slap in a turbo but there going to design and build a driveable and long lasting system. Im not really up to speed with what Aaron is doing but mabey I could bring it up to bryan if someone would fill me in.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:44 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I know I saw SOME of what Aaron was doing posted not too long ago, Jay. I could do one of my patented MaximaGoogle "I'm-not-a-donating-member-so-I-do-it-the-hard-way" searches. See what I come up with.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:49 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
I know I saw SOME of what Aaron was doing posted not too long ago, Jay. I could do one of my patented MaximaGoogle "I'm-not-a-donating-member-so-I-do-it-the-hard-way" searches. See what I come up with.

yeah Im kinda busy today, let me know what you come up with.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Ford Only.

hmmm...that seems like a bit more than what MaxTuned payed. I think maybe it is because now they think that a bunch of guys want it, so they are going to charge more. You can go to a local shop and have them do all the piping for $1-2k less than that, and Millenium already knows what bends need to be where. I would prefer getting my own piping anways, cause I would want to make sure I piece together quality parts.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:02 AM

basically, aaron together with ash, have developed a method of tuning a z32 ecu + z32 mafs combo and having TOTAL control of all the parameters. Something you have probably seen on domestics that plugs into their ecu's and modifies air / fuel ratio, determining optimum vtc release point, and so on. This means that he will most likely be breaking his record for an NA VE....without going over the top. Now couple that max NA VE hp together with a forced induction input and what do you have? can we say possible boosted vq killer?
Old 01-18-2004, 10:04 AM

btw don, OF COURSE it will be considerably more than what Maxd paid.....increase in demand doesn't always drop prices along the board...they will most likely try and cash in on this. I would rather wait for a certain someone to get his done and then pay him a visit and go from there
Old 01-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

well I dont know if this is the price, he said ball park. this kit may be different then what Maxtuned got, were really only talking about $400 dollars diffrence if we take the lower price and this is with them providing everything, Maxtuned just had them do the piping and install, we dont know what size turbo he has or if it was new or not. and remember were also talking about tuning it too.

I was going to wait till I got the final price to post but figured Maxtuned was probably getting flooded with emails and stupid questions so I posted lets wait til we get a final price before we make assumptions.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by lophix
I would rather wait for a certain someone to get his done and then pay him a visit and go from there

I would like that to but dont really feel like waiting.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by N34JZ
I would like that to but dont really feel like waiting.
yep, don't know how long thats going to take... need to keep plans moving forward.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Banned

Sup My Peeps

ok Jayson ..u know i`m definitly in so when ever you`r ready
Old 01-18-2004, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Skyliner
ok Jayson ..u know i`m definitly in so when ever you`r ready
Old 01-18-2004, 02:33 PM

Well I spoke to MaXtUneD and got his feedback and he said there service was A+ and he was very happy as far as the driveability and the overall worksmanship. (not his exact words but what I gathered from his answers)

So I called up Millennium today and spoke to Brian (pretty sure he runs the shop) he was a real cool guy, really helpfull and willing to answer my questions and deal with my concerns. He gave me a ballpark price but wanted to talk it over with the guy who designs the turbo systems (he wont be back till tuesday) so he wont have a solid price till tuesday night (ill post it after I speak to him)
from our conversation it sounds like they really know what there doing and from their website it looks that way too. we went over a few different options and this is basically the "kit" we came up with

a larger size t3/t4 turbo (forgot to ask but Im assuming turbonetics)
sparaco intercooler about 8"X20"x2" or 2.5"
All mandrel bent piping for the IC piping and turbo manifold.
3" mandrel bent exhaust with muffler
FMU and AFC included
HKS bov (can be swapped with another brand)
and a turbonetics evo wastegate
he also said hes going to figure in larger injectors and the heat wrapping and all the other little stuff.

he gave me ball park of 4-5k installed tuned etc... but it could be alittle lower or higher. I didnt ask about gauges but Iw ill speak to him about that on tuesday. as far as group pricing I doubt we could get more than two people but if anyone thinks they want to Ill probably be doing this early to late spring so if you think you could do it around the same time mabey he can give us a small price break.

anyway if you guys have any other questions that you want me to ask him let me know and I will.

this is there site www.millenniumautosports.com
Still misssing a few numbers....

Target boost, safe boost range and target HP/Torque figures.

How are they handling boost creap?
Old 01-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by shoult
Still misssing a few numbers....

Target boost, safe boost range and target HP/Torque figures.

How are they handling boost creap?

250Hp 280Tq tuned at the wheels according to maxtuned @ 8psi stock injectors pretty sure stock clutch and flywheel too, just a udp. and by turbo creap do you mean lag?

this is what his setup is comprised of

t3/t4 air research turbo .60 compressor/.63 exhaust
front mount intercooler
adjustable tial wastegate
hks SSQ bov
manual boost controller holding 8 lbs/boost
stainless braided lines for oil...
3 inch exhaust to turbo Megan GT muffler
cartech fmu
walbro high flow fuel pump
copper 1 step older ngk plugs

Gauges:
egt
boost/vaccum
air/fuel
SAFC (apexi)
fuel pressure gauge (in engine bay)

keep in mind Im pretty sure he pieced together everything but the piping so some of these parts will be different in the kit im talking about, because they will be using what they feel is best.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:06 PM

i found this quote on another website "Boost creap is basicly a situation where you nail the gas say in 4th or 5th gear and as ur boost peeks levels out you can watch your boost begin to increase from that point beyond the limit (level at which it settled) A boost spike is a momentary increase of boost that drops off directly after the increase. Boost spikes and boost creap are two different things. Spikes are usualy found between shifts or hard WOT punchs on the gas at the correct rpm. Boost creap is typically noticed in the larger gears such as 4th and 5th. Lower gears are too short to notice."

boost creep and spikes are ussualy only a problem with manual boost controllers. its basicly when boost creeps past the set boost level in this case 8psi it would maybe go to 9psi and that would cause a lean condition which could cause detonation and posibly a blown motor you can fix this problem by using an electronic boost controller which is $$ about 400 to 500

you could just live with the manual controller and tune the car rich like a 10 or 11:1 A/F and then if it did spike or creep youd be covered with the extra fuel but you wouldnt yeild quite the HP that youd get at 12.5:1
Old 01-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by subs1000w
i found this quote on another website "Boost creap is basicly a situation where you nail the gas say in 4th or 5th gear and as ur boost peeks levels out you can watch your boost begin to increase from that point beyond the limit (level at which it settled) A boost spike is a momentary increase of boost that drops off directly after the increase. Boost spikes and boost creap are two different things. Spikes are usualy found between shifts or hard WOT punchs on the gas at the correct rpm. Boost creap is typically noticed in the larger gears such as 4th and 5th. Lower gears are too short to notice."

boost creep and spikes are ussualy only a problem with manual boost controllers. its basicly when boost creeps past the set boost level in this case 8psi it would maybe go to 9psi and that would cause a lean condition which could cause detonation and posibly a blown motor you can fix this problem by using an electronic boost controller which is $$ about 400 to 500

you could just live with the manual controller and tune the car rich like a 10 or 11:1 A/F and then if it did spike or creep youd be covered with the extra fuel but you wouldnt yeild quite the HP that youd get at 12.5:1

Ok ill ask him about that he said theve done alot of street cars and race cars so Im sure they are aware of this stuff.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:43 PM

if it only crept up to 9 psi from 8 you shouldn't see a very lean condition. on my untuned setup i can take it to 10 psi from about 7 and not be very lean. depends if anything is maxed out though, like the injectors and such. if they are nearly maxed around 8 psi you might start having problems if it creeps or spikes.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:49 PM

Ok ill ask him about that he said theve done alot of street cars and race cars so Im sure they are aware of this stuff.
They probably do and they may have a plan for it, but you should ask these questions BEFORE you plunk down 5 large. Do they have ANY kind of warranty?

Also to subs1000w: For 5 large you shouldn't have to richen the entire band to compensate for a possible lean condition. This should be taken care of as part of a well though ot system.

A good electronic boost controller is about $200-250 these days. At that price they should be able to include it into the system.

The point is these things are SO much easier and cheaper to deal with at the FRONT end of the project. Don't just think someone whois in the business will tell you whats best. They'll tell you what they need to get you to buy.

Not trying to tell anybody this is crap, just trying to get you to think about the right questions to ask before you plunk down your money.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Not trying to tell anybody this is crap, just trying to get you to think about the right questions to ask before you plunk down your money.

trust me Ill make sure I do plenty of research before I spend a dime,
and Ill ask him about all of this, I already told him that I wanted to have a reliable (or as much as possible) system, I told him that Im willing to spend extra to make sure that everythign is taken care of from the get go.

If you ask people who know me they will tell you that Im not one to cheap out on things, when I did my engine swap I pretty much replaced everything that needed to and even some stuff that probably didnt just to make sure I wouldnt need to do extra labor down the road. Thats partly the reason I posted this because I want to make sure that everything is covered.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:14 PM
mod or sell?

I dunno guys, to spend $3-5 k to only get 250hp is a joke to me personally.
If the kit was around $2k I could see it.
But being admittedly from an SBC background I can make 400+ hp for that kinda money without having to go through boost headaches.
Just my .02
Old 01-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Maxima Withdrawl is real

yeah, will this be avalible for VGs?
Old 01-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I dunno guys, to spend $3-5 k to only get 250hp is a joke to me personally.
If the kit was around $2k I could see it.
But being admittedly from an SBC background I can make 400+ hp for that kinda money without having to go through boost headaches.
Just my .02

why do anything to your car then?, I want it because I enjoy doing stuff to my car and the 250hp was at 8psi on a pretty much stock car other than that.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:46 PM

trust me Ill make sure I do plenty of research before I spend a dime,
and Ill ask him about all of this, I already told him that I wanted to have a reliable (or as much as possible) system, I told him that Im willing to spend extra to make sure that everythign is taken care of from the get go.

If you ask people who know me they will tell you that Im not one to cheap out on things, when I did my engine swap I pretty much replaced everything that needed to and even some stuff that probably didnt just to make sure I wouldnt need to do extra labor down the road. Thats partly the reason I posted this because I want to make sure that everything is covered.
if you want reliability skip the FMU with stock injectors and go with 370cc injectors, a high flow fuel pump and a JWT ecu along with the AFC maybe even a z32 MAF if you plan on pushing 350whp mark

everything ive been reading about FMUs has been negative latly even some people on this board are blaming them for blown motors and such and for alittle extra you could have the larger injectors
Old 01-18-2004, 10:55 PM

Also to subs1000w: For 5 large you shouldn't have to richen the entire band to compensate for a possible lean condition. This should be taken care of as part of a well though ot system.

A good electronic boost controller is about $200-250 these days. At that price they should be able to include it into the system.
1. tell that to the 4th gen guys that pay 4 to 5 Gs and are blowing motors although they are running higher boost levels than what the kits come configuered for which i bieleve is 6psi they are pushing 10

2. the majority on this board with turbos have either the greddy profec E01 or the APEXI AVCR which are both 4 to 500$ and there is a diferece between this type of controller and cheaper vertions but your right the cheaper versions should beable to fight against creep and spike but they dont have near the features that the high end controllers have so for some people that are just going to stick with the stock boost level the 250$ one should be fine but for the people that are going to push there car to the limit i would spend the extra and get the high end one i mean its only about another 200$
Old 01-19-2004, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
1. tell that to the 4th gen guys that pay 4 to 5 Gs and are blowing motors although they are running higher boost levels than what the kits come configuered for which i bieleve is 6psi they are pushing 10

Most of those guys are running Hal kits, (well Dixit hasn't blown a motor, but he also basically built his own kit now).
I think his point was, if your spending $5000, then anything and everything fuel related should be included in the kit. Basically for that kind of money, you should be getting everything to have a safe, reliable turbo setup.

i dunno, it's late and i'm not thinking.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:44 AM

About boost creap that can be fixed by using an external wastegate or possibly porting the wastegate but for sure an external wastegate would with the right spring will correct the problem of boost creap.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:17 AM

that must be why i've never noticed any boost creep on my setup. i have a turbonetics delta gate mark III and i've never seen it creep at all.

on the fmu's, if you're referring to the 4th gen guys blowing motors its probably because they're running insane amount of pressure through the injectors with the fmu's which would cause injector failure and a very lean situation which equals detonation and a blown motor.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Will there be some way this kit can be available for VG's too? I know I know, get a VE but I'm just happy I got a Maxima !! lol
Old 01-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Well for the boost controll Id go with the Greddy which from what Ive heard is pretty good. I would go with a jwt ecu but quite frankly I dont have time to waste dealing with them and there crapy customer service. Im gonna try to get in touch with Aaron and see if that route will be a possibility by then

for a VG kit, they will need a VG there to make one.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by BML94GXE
yeah, will this be avalible for VGs?
10chars.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by MaximaBalla
10chars.

you musta missed my last post.

this kit will be for the VE, Im some stuff will have to be different for the VG and Im sure there gonna need a VG down there to test it out on and measure for the piping.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:46 AM
mod or sell?

why do anything to your car then?, I want it because I enjoy doing stuff to my car and the 250hp was at 8psi on a pretty much stock car other than that.
Because I still wanna go faster.
But the $ per hp isn't worth it to me for a turbo unit that someone else builds.
If it were down in the $2k range then it would be a better $ per hp value
Old 01-19-2004, 08:52 AM

Well for the boost controll Id go with the Greddy which from what Ive heard is pretty good. I would go with a jwt ecu but quite frankly I dont have time to waste dealing with them and there crapy customer service. Im gonna try to get in touch with Aaron and see if that route will be a possibility by then

for a VG kit, they will need a VG there to make one.
as far as aaron's setup goes, its a definate possiblity, but you'll have to talk to him about his encounters with sensors that dont work, lean conditions on the front cylinders..there are alot of small things that prevent his car from running perfect, but once he gets the bugs figured out, ash (developer of zemulator) can replicate everything aaron has done when you ship the ECU to him to get it socketed..this is the route i plan to take when i finally have enough money before i boost.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:57 AM

should i start a new thread about ECU's and stuff like that? I've got some questions/ideas.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by MaDMaX024
as far as aaron's setup goes, its a definate possiblity, but you'll have to talk to him about his encounters with sensors that dont work, lean conditions on the front cylinders..there are alot of small things that prevent his car from running perfect, but once he gets the bugs figured out, ash (developer of zemulator) can replicate everything aaron has done when you ship the ECU to him to get it socketed..this is the route i plan to take when i finally have enough money before i boost.

edit* I checked z1's page and got a better idea of what it can and will do. and I saw some of the problems Aaron is having, now my question is are we all going to have those same problems or is there a way to program them out or something like that?

Quick Reply: Info on Turbo kit from millennium autosports