3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

engine control fuse blew out twice

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 06:13 PM

engine control fuse blew out twice

Today the engine control fuse (in the dash afuse array) blew out TWICE..

its 10amp...this happened at a muffler shop where i was having the flex section of the y-pipe looked at for that hissing sound i been hearing.

when the shop guy started the car it didnt start..on instinct i checked the fuses and this fuse was blown...so we changed it and i started it...it ran fine and i shut it off...the shop guy got in the car to get the car on the lift and the fuse blew again..lol ...now after we changed the fuse AGAIN...i didnt let the mechanic start it...since then i drove around all evening and shut off/started the car many times and the fuse is fine...

has anybody else had a problem with this fuse before????
Old 01-23-2004, 09:57 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by drstillpatient
Today the engine control fuse (in the dash afuse array) blew out TWICE..

its 10amp...this happened at a muffler shop where i was having the flex section of the y-pipe looked at for that hissing sound i been hearing.

when the shop guy started the car it didnt start..on instinct i checked the fuses and this fuse was blown...so we changed it and i started it...it ran fine and i shut it off...the shop guy got in the car to get the car on the lift and the fuse blew again..lol ...now after we changed the fuse AGAIN...i didnt let the mechanic start it...since then i drove around all evening and shut off/started the car many times and the fuse is fine...

has anybody else had a problem with this fuse before????
I've had a problem with this fuse when i installed my Ypipe. When the motor twisted, the o2 sensor wires would get pinched up against a metal lip causing it to short out. My ENG CONT fuse blew and my ECU went into fail safe mode (stuck in 3rd gear). I replace the fuse, it blew again as soon as the o2 sensor wires shorted out again.

Anyway, check to make sure your o2 sensor is in perfect condition. Other than that, I have no clue what your problem could be.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:06 PM

Might be cause you left the Hawkeye state???

Muhahahhahaha...
Old 01-23-2004, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by vwink182
Might be cause you left the Hawkeye state???

Muhahahhahaha...

hehehehh i suppose that could be it

Arron92se, the guy at the shop said the exact same thing!! that the o2 sensor wires were getting spliced up ...but we twise\ted the O2 wires a few times to test that theory, and the car kept running and fuse didnt blow...i'm keeping an eye on this fuse now.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:35 PM
mod or sell?

Carry spares, remember you should have reved the engine a bit to see if the o2s wires contacted anything abnormal while being brake torqued
Old 01-24-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Carry spares, remember you should have reved the engine a bit to see if the o2s wires contacted anything abnormal while being brake torqued
yeah i am keeping spares...but first thing i gotta change is my right rear engine mount. its obliterated. i can feel the engine moving back and forth by looking at the stick shifter move around as engine torque changes.

we moved the O2 wires around and wiggled them good to see if the fuse blows again..but it didnt.