3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

and onother one bites, and another one bites, and anotherone bites the dust!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:23 PM

and onother one bites, and another one bites, and anotherone bites the dust!

Well.....I smashed my max. May be fixable, but I don't know if I'm up for it so maybe they'll be yet another being parted out soon.
Please don't start calling dibs on parts yet though.....gotta keep some hope. So heres the story. I took a left exit just after the
nastiest snow storm we've had yet this year. Talking on a cell phone, though it was speaker phone. After the initial exit the ramp
splits left and right. It seems my car didn't like either direction so it kept going straight. i hopped a curb and hit the barreled end of
a guard rail at about 45mph. (I'll see if I can get pictures of the guard rail tomorrow) I seriously hit the rail DEAD ON. The license
plate took the shape of the rail perfectly. The car still drives like I had no accident so I picked up my license plate and took off.
All this after spending 12 freaking hours putting in a new sound system just 2 days ago. F*CK!

I can't seem to post pictures so i made a cardomain page. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/508603

Oh, and yes my seat was that ripped up before, I was planning on doing all
black leather so..........
Old 01-26-2004, 10:27 PM

Eeek makes me want to cry. I feel for ya. Glad snow isn't too big here in so.cal.

Edit: so how about that tranny...?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:27 PM

NOOOO! That sucks man! Glad you were able to drive away but still. How are you feeling?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:28 PM

Ouch! that suxs bro.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:31 PM

My back and neck are a bit sore, but I think it just aggravated injuries from my previous accident. I really am in pretty good shape all things considered. So what do you guys think, try to fix it up, part it out or sell it whole. The radiaters' toast, it obviously needs a new hood and bumper, but everything else seems ok. I'm going to get it into my buddy's shop tomorrow (hopefully), but I don't know what to do. I'm afraid the front frame might be beyond repair.....
Old 01-26-2004, 10:33 PM

If the frame is not tweaked I would say go ahead and fix it. I love my max and it was smashed also but it was more than worth it to fix IMO
Old 01-26-2004, 10:34 PM

...ouch that hurts...2nd max in 2 days!!! what's going on??? i had to drive with my headlights OFF last night, doing 35mph. Driving into a snow storm sucks and it helps when your headlights are off (but hazards and parking lights are on) because the snow makes the light glare back at you....it took me 3hrs to make a trip that normally takes me an hour.

take it easy man and g-luck w/ whatever you decide to do. on a side note, if you need parts from a black 3rd gen, you know where to find me
Old 01-26-2004, 10:36 PM

I was looking at a 1990 eclipse gsx with a really poorly running engine for about $500, but I really liked this max and I love nissans. I want to fix it, but it would be a while before it's driveable. I'd hold out for a car I really like, but I have little cash and I need something to drive right now. Too bad I just sold my other car.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Way out West

That's too bad. I always hate to see a Max like that. The first pic is pretty nasty, with the green slime all over in the snow.

I think you need to figure out the extent of the damage before you decide what to do. If it is beyond repair, I think most of the time you will get more money from the parts than selling the car whole. However, you need time (to take things apart) and space (to store a non-driving car) plus, a good line on a place to have the remains taken once you've cleared out the usuable parts.

BTW -- what's the Press Pass for? Just curious. In a previous life I was a reporter for a newspaper...
Old 01-26-2004, 11:08 PM

no kidding about the time to pull parts and the space. 14hrs every weekend and I am nowhere near done.

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
However, you need time (to take things apart) and space (to store a non-driving car) plus, a good line on a place to have the remains taken once you've cleared out the usuable parts.

BTW -- what's the Press Pass for? Just curious. In a previous life I was a reporter for a newspaper...
Old 01-26-2004, 11:15 PM

I have the space, but it's 45 minutes away....and I have no radiator. I suppose I could use my buddies shop.The time.......I could quit my job.....
This was really the wrong time for me to smash up my car. But, then again, when is the right time.

The press pass is for indymedia (indymedia.org). I volunteer for them for editorial and photography work. I also string for local papers every now and again. Just a hobby. ; )
Old 01-26-2004, 11:16 PM
STFU n00b!

ouch... glad you're okay.

have your buddy look at the frame- if it's tweaked much, don't bother fixing it.. part it out or just get rid of it.
if it's just the bumper, radiator, AC, core support, hood, etc.. it may not be too bad- but if it's intot he fenders and such, then it's goign to be easily a $3000 dent.. not worth fixing unless you're really attached to the car.

sorry man.. that sucks *****.
if it makes you feel better, I totalled my GXE by creaming a Toyota at 40mph... just two days after having the whole thing repainted and doing the E36 conversion!
http://www.mattblehm.com/pics/old_max/car/wreck/4_2_01/

I feel you pain man, I feel your pain!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:32 PM

damn glad you got out ok, sorry about your max
Old 01-26-2004, 11:55 PM

Nasty pics matt. You definetly got it worse than me.

The fenders,headlights, etc...are absolutely untouched. Not even pushed back. I really hit it straight on and center. I'm just worried the front piece of the frame may be busted, but I don't think the rest is tweaked. it's hard to tell this late at night.

Man, speaking of creamed. i gotthe guard rail pretty good. It's ripped off atleast the first 5 or 6 posts and crumpled in the middle. I was definetly able to take a moment out of grieving for my max to laugh at the disaster scene. It's amazing what 3200 pounds of steel can do!

I, luckily, had my new E36s' angel eyes sitting safely in the trunk. If I do decide to part it, those and my new Y-pipe and high flow cat should be worth something.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:36 AM

ouch...I just totalled my max....really sux. good thing you didn't get hurt
Old 01-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you decide to fix it, I got a well working radiator off of a 91se for $50 plus shipping.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:08 AM

if you fix it yourself you could get used allready painted part cheap i did somthing simalare to my max about a 1.5 years ago hitting a gaurdrail dead on at maybe 10 to 15 mph and was able to fix it for about 200$ but all i needed was a bumper and new lights but you could proboly get all the parts for 500 to 700 dollars but if a shops doing it its ganna be $$$$
Old 01-27-2004, 10:38 AM

Ok, I need expert opinions here. I put up some new pictures on my cardomain site. Do you guys think the frame is screwed or is this fixable. If it is, how big of a pain will it be. Less than parting it out? Also, do you guys know if a VG radiator will fit a VE? I seem to have 2 available at the moment.

Until it's fixed I think I'm going to buy an 89 240sx 5spd. I know, lower power, but it's relatively local, in decent shape and asking $1000.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:42 AM

Until it's fixed I think I'm going to buy an 89 240sx 5spd. I know, lower power, but it's relatively local, in decent shape and asking $1000.
You taking my idea man?
Old 01-27-2004, 10:54 AM

Jacked! I was actually looking at 240s' before I vought this max. I just got really lucky and found a local one that I can afford. Plus I've got to break my habbit of owning cars from 92.....3 in a row now. So 89 it is!
Old 01-27-2004, 12:18 PM

lol...I've been wanting a 240 for so long now but I loved my max. I couldn't sell it and I couldn't afford another car. So now that my max is gone, thats what I'm looking for. I want a 91-93 tho.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:48 PM
pauls_93_max

man

I just sold my car- same car as yours-http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/445227

Old 01-27-2004, 06:02 PM

One of my boys here at work, took me for a ride in his stock 95 240. And I haven't quit talking about upgrading my suspension yet. That thing handled great for a stock car and I love the amount of possiblities with it.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:38 PM

Hey Sean, my name's Shawn too, lol.
Was it a 5spd or auto?
I really feel for ya, I used to have a 1993 SE Auto, Black with Black leather, I loved(still do) that car.
I wasnt going to mention anything about parts, but since you mentioned it, I'd be interested in that y-pipe, but let me know, I dont want to hound ya, It's a real pain in the *** right now for you I've been there, here are the pics from my car,
http://www.digitalbeta.net/images/crashed93/index.html

I gotta hand it to nissan, from yours pulling up those 5-6posts to mine only taking that much damage from a 100+ mph hit with a 1ton chevy van (all 4 of us got out and walked away), these cars are damn safe.

To add to it, I had just installed a JL300/4 in my car 30mins before the accident, I had washed it really well 2 hours prior. It really sucks

Best of luck
-Shawn
Old 01-27-2004, 09:40 PM

Well, if I part it out you've got dibs.
Any thoughts on the pictures. I'm trying to figure out if the frames' busted on the front. i can't get it on the lift for a while. Is that front metal piece in the front that's bent in a part of the frame? I haven't had the hood off yet, but the engine revs up and down (a lot when cold and a little when running) and when it revs up I hear a slight squeel like a belt is rubbing. more bad news I guess.
On the bright side I think the radiator's ok. it spews, but I think it just popped a hose on the top.

I was thinking if the frame is not damaged I could pick up a stillen (or other) front bumper. Maybe I'm just trying to see the bright side, but it seems like a good excuse to get one.

Seriously, if anybody has any thoughts on the frame I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure what to look for. It seems to drive straight on the highway....
Old 01-27-2004, 09:49 PM

I'm really not sure, could you grab more pics with the hood open and stuff?

in this picture it looks like the radiator support is bent upward and maybe alittle inward, i'm not sure.

That radiator looks like its toast, it looks like its bent.

Belt could be the A/C, thats what I would bet on. since the AC is right there in front and could have been knocked out of allignment or something.

If you dont have to total it then dont, they are great cars. I guess its just hard to tell with the pictures.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:07 PM

Damn man that sucks, Sorry to hear that another max is wrecked... I feel your pain.. I loved that car it was sooo much better than the P.O.S. maxima im driving now... pics of my wrecked max are at http://www.angelfire.com/linux/roll_over/ ...
My front end is still in tact (minus the power steering pump) so maybe if we break out the welder combine the the two halves well have one fully functional maxima...
Old 01-27-2004, 11:52 PM

Man, everybody's got a crashed max. I guess I'm in good company.

I'll get some pics with the hood up as soon as I have time to get out the tools. Check back for those, I'll post them to the cardomain site.

The radiator is definetly bent inward a little. The ac is most definetly dead. I'm just not sure about the metal and what not under the bumper. I don't know if it's frame or not. I'm kind of afraid to really look closely. I don't want even more bad news.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:23 PM

Ok, the car is officially dead. I got it on a lift and looked at the frame. It's just not worth trying to fix. There are motor mounts on the bent pieces and just too much bent metal.

So the car is for sale. My preference would be for someone to buy it whole, because I don't have access to a heated garage.....or really a garage at all, but I'll part it if I have too. Check the post in 3rd gen for sale.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:28 PM

sad day
gonna try to get another one?
Old 01-28-2004, 11:45 PM

We'll see. If I find a good one maybe. I kind of want RWD, but the maxima has everything else I want. Economics is driving my search right now and I may have a free or really cheap 88 mr2 w/60,000 lined up. (gotta fly to get it) I may get a job w/my uncles company which would mean a $250-$450 monthly car allowance. In that case a nice maxima seems possible. I prefer 3rd gen SE's more than any newer style. So if I could find one w/really low miles......
I still would love a 240.......or an old z car project.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:52 PM

after all of this..I'm almost paranoid to drive my max..I'm more worried about things beyond my control, such as other peoples stupidity on slick roads..I wish my truck was driveable..its a tank compared to the max..I hit a tree with it at 35 mph and it left a little dent in the front bumper..a friend of mine hit a tree with his '94 chevy truck with a bunch of custom features, at 25 mph and the engine is sitting where the tranny hump in the cab should be..its amazing how "safe" newer cars and trucks are supposed to be compared to holder ones, yet my '84 Sierra has hit a tree in forward motion (mine), a telephone pole in reverse (grandfathers), and the center pillar of a garage on a house in reverse (my uncle who also sold me the max, who owned the truck first), and it hasn't sustained any severe damage..just some dents and dings, and no one has sustained an injury in it..kind of reminds me of cars with breakaway motormounts and how "safe" they are..ok, you hit a pothole and your engine falls out..you get in a minor fender bender and your engine falls out..you hit a deer and your engine falls out and the deer still goes over the hood and through your windshield....blah, I'm just glad the max is really a safe car, although not a sherman tank..
Old 01-29-2004, 09:57 PM

Yeah. This accident was definetly out of my contro. Just hit a patch of ice and slid.

Newer cars are "safer" in serious accidents, because of all the new safety features. That definetly means they will sustain more damage though. The materials are made to absord shock and thus crush under any severe pressure. Gone are the days of steel bumpers that could withstand a bomb attack and welcome to safe, fragile car world.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:28 AM

Ouch man. glad everyone's ok.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:55 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by xveganxcowboyx
or an old z car project.
MMM....

Datsun conversion