3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

HELP....please..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 02:34 PM
1994 se lover

HELP....please..

I am in desperate need of any info or links someone can give me that used to be on-line for "REPLACING TIMING BELT".
if i dont fix this soon, very soon, i am gonna have to cut out the floors and 'fred flinstone' it everywhere..
so please, anyone, help...
fyi-the chilton site is down.

thanks
concerned max-driver, Mark

Old 02-05-2004, 02:36 PM

How come? You have a timing chain that should last the life of the car!
Old 02-05-2004, 04:54 PM

try www.autozone.com

enter the make and year of your car and look up its repair guide. i also heard that it was a chain.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

like djmorgan1 said you have a timing chain.

The 92-94 SE has the VE30DE which has timing chains that do not require you to replace like the belts.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:19 PM
mod or sell?

Gotta love the VE, no worrys about some $10 belt snapping and doing $1000 worth of damage
Old 02-06-2004, 05:06 AM
1994 se lover

yes, sorry, i knew it was a chain, i wasjust in a rush to write that...
In short, i basically needed the chilton to get inside there,
Because i believe my chain tensioner is faulty thus leaving the chain to flop around and hit something...i can hear the metal on metal while i drive...
but the autozone link is good enough...thanks again

Mark.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:43 PM

If your chain tensioners broke or a timing belt snapped, all you'd hear is one loud bang and the engine would be dead. The metal to metal clanking sound you hear is most likely your VTCs. Read the FAQ, find out what they are, and go from there. Don't ask what they are, because we wont tell you. It's a common problem to the VE and has been discussed in depth.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:53 PM

Rosenken, your Max looks tight. Have you had any problems out of your VTC's since they were fixed? Did you get new VTC's or rebuild the old ones??
Old 02-11-2004, 04:55 AM

Thanks, havent had a peep since I replaced them with new (supposedly redesigned) ones. That was about 38K ago I think.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:44 AM
1994 se lover

HEY ROSENKEN, how bout you think before you speak.
FYI my post was about and only about 'the chilton manual'...
i know what would happen if the chain broke, and if you had any car smarts, you would know that is very very unlikely it would break....and i DO know what the VTC's do. And the tensioner CAN loosen, and not just break... so dont be so quick to assume im looking for everyone else to do my research and get yo'head out from your a$$...
thanks , but no thanks for the reply.

sincerely Mark.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:41 PM

OK, everyone take a deep breath, and CALM down. 1994 selover, it wasn't clear from your original post that you knew much about your engine, so I think that's what most folks were going off of. I'm sure no one intended to be insulting.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:58 PM

Ok, I'll help you take your head out of your A$$ here. Let's read your original post here:

Originally Posted by 1994 se lover
I am in desperate need of any info or links someone can give me that used to be on-line for "REPLACING TIMING BELT".
if i dont fix this soon, very soon, i am gonna have to cut out the floors and 'fred flinstone' it everywhere..
so please, anyone, help...
From what I gathered here, you were "in desperate need of any info". Since you say you have a 94 SE and need to replace the timing BELT, right there I figured you to be a nincompoop. And THEN you said:

Because i believe my chain tensioner is faulty thus leaving the chain to flop around and hit something...i can hear the metal on metal while i drive...
Okay, so you admit you knew it was a chain. I'll forgive ya. But since you were "in desperate need of any info" and then said you can "hear the metal on metal sound", I figured you were a pigheaded poseur of a mechanic who foolishly misdiagnosed a problem common to all VE's.

AHA! But then you said "THE" chain tensioner is broken. Well if YOU my dear sir "had any car smarts", you would know that most OHC V6 engines with a timing chain have more than one chain tensioner. The VE has three chains and three tensioners. And what they do is push against the chain as it stretches over the RUBBER guide of the tensioner. IF the tensioner slackens, the chain wont be hitting any metal, just rubber. Your car will however run like crap since your mechanical timing will be jumping all around. But you didnt mention that. I have also not heard of ANY problems with VE chain tensioners and I've been around Maximas for a while. Since the tensioners would only loosen if they lost oil pressure, it sounds, by your diagnosis, that you can't even change the oil regularly and your engine is about to crap out anyway.

HEY ROSENKEN, how bout you think before you speak.
FYI my post was about and only about 'the chilton manual'...
i know what would happen if the chain broke, and if you had any car smarts, you would know that is very very unlikely it would break....and i DO know what the VTC's do. And the tensioner CAN loosen, and not just break... so dont be so quick to assume im looking for everyone else to do my research and get yo'head out from your a$$...
thanks , but no thanks for the reply.

sincerely Mark.
Thanks for the laugh though. And yes I DO know what I'm talking about. I've had my cylinder heads off my VE so I actually know how the timing chains work and how to work on them. I've replaced my VTC's already due to "metal on metal" noise while I'm driving. I checked my top tensioners when I did this and they were within spec after 120K. I have 155K now and no problems.

So riddle me this, since you obviously have sooooooo much "car smarts", please tell me in detail what the VTCs actually do since you say you know? And since you were "in desperate need of any info", how come you so quickly changed your tone and now say you dont want "anybody doing your research for you"? If you had car smarts you come you can't take the front covers off an engine without any help from Chiltons or online help? It's simple. Anyway, good luck breaking your car. I'll see you back on here when you need help fixing it, ya MORE-RON!!
Old 02-13-2004, 01:20 AM

Oh, my we've just thrown restraint to the wind here, haven't we?
Old 02-13-2004, 07:20 AM
1994 se lover

I just read a good page worth of jabbering.... you have way to much time on your hands
anyway, all this is because i didnt give enough details on my situation, fine...i except that.
BUT for the chilton manual info, i gave enough detail, because all that you need to know is what area of the engine i am working on..
i didnt ask for a diagnostic from you Rosenken, JUST THE CHILTON INFO.... right??? so does this make sense now??
question was:

Mark.

Your reply:
If your chain tensioners broke or a timing belt snapped, all you'd hear is one loud bang and the engine would be dead. The metal to metal clanking sound you hear is most likely your VTCs. Read the FAQ, find out what they are, and go from there. Don't ask what they are, because we wont tell you. It's a common problem to the VE and has been discussed in depth.

so did you answer my question?? nope.. you just had to undermind my ability by ASSUMING i know nothing.
i dont want to argue, i felt that in your first reply, you were throwing the old 'do you research' and 'use the search funtion' (even older comment due to the forum changes) that is seen so many times, and deserved for lots of the times, EXCEPT in my situation.
sorry for offending you Rosenken,