3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Trim Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 07:56 PM

Trim Swap?

How hard would it be to swap SE trim for the GXE chromed trim? A while back I took out the rear window and took a look. There is a lot of clips but by the back of the door it looks like it is crimped on. Is this a from the factory only install or can I swap it out? I know the front and rear windows would have to be removed for that trim but I'm mainly concerned about the door windows. Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanx for your time,

Matt F.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

its really not too hard. I have all of my window trim off because I am painting my car.

I cant really explain how to do it because I just looked at it and did it. Just be careful...there are a couple of hidden screws and the rest just pops or pushes off. Take your time and do it slowly and you should be fine.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Me and juan just painted over his chrome, well he painted and I cleaned lol but It looks just as good as my stock SE trim. but there are alot of clips and hidden screws but its not impossible just take your time.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by fugi43
How hard would it be to swap SE trim for the GXE chromed trim? A while back I took out the rear window and took a look. There is a lot of clips but by the back of the door it looks like it is crimped on. Is this a from the factory only install or can I swap it out? I know the front and rear windows would have to be removed for that trim but I'm mainly concerned about the door windows. Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanx for your time,

Matt F.
just curious, but why do you want the GXE trim ?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:29 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Shugarhi
just curious, but why do you want the GXE trim ?
2 words:
BLING BLING

what the heck is a bling, and why would I want 2 of em?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:37 AM

when my car got broken into over the summer they cut the rubber seal at the bottom of the passenger front window...i would like to replace this..how hard is that to get off and does anybody have a piece for a gxe that works?
Old 02-18-2004, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
2 words:
BLING BLING

what the heck is a bling, and why would I want 2 of em?
haha, black looks better imo, but wutev, to each his own
Old 02-18-2004, 09:45 AM

My car is that silver/gold color. My windows are tinted to match. I used semi-metalic Formula One tint against the bronze OEM windows. The thing now is the black trim really sticks out. I think the chrome would blend better. I saw a GXE in the same color and it looked tight.

Just my opinion,

Matt F.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:42 AM
mod or sell?

As others have stated why not just sand and paint your current trim?
Then you sould even get the same color as the car.

Just my .02
Old 02-18-2004, 02:18 PM

it would be way too expensive to buy all the trim new if you are trying to put on the chrome trim and genereally speaking a junk yard would only sell you a full door, not just the trim off it, so unless you wanna spend 600 bucks for new trim (may be exagerated, but not by much) just keep your stock trim. i would get rid of the chrome tint(especially if it's the fading type, thats soooooooooo 3 yrs ago.

and like jason said, its not tough, but it will take you about an hour and a half a door to take it all appart and put back together.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:27 PM

Hey shaved max,

FYI

I actually talked to a junk yard in central florida that will give me the trim off all the doors for $75 (as long as I pull it off damaged doors). So you grossly overestimated.

Also, I don't have that colored/dyed tint you are talkin about. I used Formula One which is a new tint out on the market. Its an updated version of LLumar. "Metallic" refers to what its made of, not the reflection. The tint is made by a 100% metal alloy process (that means no dye). So it will never fade. Anyways, its guaranteed for life so what do I care. The material is semi-reflective meaning, basically, in the daytime it is the color of my car and at night it looks black.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:31 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Hey shaved max,

FYI

I actually talked to a junk yard in central florida that will give me the trim off all the doors for $75 (as long as I pull it off damaged doors). So you grossly overestimated.

Also, I don't have that colored/dyed tint you are talkin about. I used Formula One which is a new tint out on the market. Its an updated version of LLumar. "Metallic" refers to what its made of, not the reflection. The tint is made by a 100% metal alloy process (that means no dye). So it will never fade. Anyways, its guaranteed for life so what do I care. The material is semi-reflective meaning, basically, in the daytime it is the color of my car and at night it looks black.

yeah but are you going to be albe to find 4 damaged doors with chrome trim that is all in the same condition?
Old 02-19-2004, 09:31 AM

you can find maximas down here like civics. I find 4 or 5 at every yard I go to... Maybe more. Orlando has 1000's of yards anyways. I'll be alright.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:46 PM

Hey shaved max,

FYI

Next time, know what you're talkin' about before you fire off an insult on someone's car.
whatever floats your boat bud, u drive it not me.

i wrote a big long resonse and decided to delete it, i think im past that phase to have to prove myself. next time take a little more time reading the lines and not between them.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:16 PM

I wrote a long response too, but I'm not the type to easily get p'd off. I even edited off that last line because I thought I might have misunderstood ya (5min. after the post). No hard feelings on my part. Oh, and I thought I read the lines pretty well... " i would get rid of the chrome tint(especially if it's the fading type, thats soooooooooo 3 yrs ago.)". I just figured I'd educate you on my tint since you care so much.

Lata
Old 02-19-2004, 05:35 PM

now kiss and makeup
Old 02-19-2004, 08:18 PM

Post pics when your done!
Old 02-20-2004, 09:43 AM

I will if I ever figure out this hosting thing... lol
Old 02-20-2004, 10:35 AM

I will if I ever figure out this hosting thing... lol
i can host it for you if you'd like
email the pics to shugarhi@earthlink.net
Old 02-24-2004, 12:27 AM

Thanx for the offer shugarhi.... I actually posted some recent pix on my car domain site . I took them because I'm tryin to sell some seats (Seats 4-Sale). I also took some pics of the tint and the SE trim. Do you se what I mean when I say the black sticks out. I haven't done the swap yet because I have no time. I'll post more pics when its done.

Matt
Old 02-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Thanx for the offer shugarhi.... I actually posted some recent pix on my car domain site . I took them because I'm tryin to sell some seats (Seats 4-Sale). I also took some pics of the tint and the SE trim. Do you se what I mean when I say the black sticks out. I haven't done the swap yet because I have no time. I'll post more pics when its done.

Matt
actually I dont see what you mean (I know that wasnt directed at me) but I think the black blends it in very well. It may look different in person but I just dont think the Chrome will look much better. You have to remember the chrome is only on the outer edge of the molding and the inner edge is black so the black will still be there and still stick out (according to you).

IMO the black of the SE looks much cleaner but its not my car and I say do whatever makes you happy regardless.

Like I posted earlier just take your time and look for any hidden screws and such and you will be fine.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:01 PM

thats exactly how my 93 will look once i put a kit on it. mine's a gxe, but since i had the trim off i scuffed it up and painted it black. looks much better. like mike said, its your car, but both my gxe's now have se trim
Old 02-24-2004, 03:58 PM

Thanx guys. I appreciate the input. I'm startin' to think I might be a little overly concerned. It might not be worth the hassle. I"ll probably test a side during spring break and see how it looks. However, its not priority #1 anymore. That ranking was recently filled by the maniflold studs

BTW shavedmax, did you change out the tails + trunk insert to the SE?
Old 02-24-2004, 06:01 PM

Thanx guys. I appreciate the input. I'm startin' to think I might be a little overly concerned. It might not be worth the hassle. I"ll probably test a side during spring break and see how it looks. However, its not priority #1 anymore. That ranking was recently filled by the maniflold studs

BTW shavedmax, did you change out the tails + trunk insert to the SE?
the 93 still has all the gxe stuff on it, i paintd the grille black and door trim black. i still have to paint the rear and front window molding and the chrome on the tails.

the 89 has wrx tails

i was thinking as well, in order to get the trim off you either have to take out the glass or drop the glass out of the track, either which you run a high risk of scratching the tint. just food for thought