3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Timing Chain Tens, A/T, and 2 other issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 07:08 AM

Timing Chain Tens, A/T, and 2 other issues.

Hi i am having a few problems and would like some insight.

1. My VTC's were ticking so I grounded them a while back. That did take care
of the VTC noise, but after the engine warms up 5-10 minutes there is some clacking noise coming from the left side rear of the engine. My guess is the rear bank timing chain tensioner. Also the clacking does increase in frequency when the rpms go up in first gear (AUTO) once it goes into second gear I don't hear it anymore, but that could be caused by road noise covering it up. If the tensioner is bad why wouldn't it make the clacking noise when the engine is cold? Could it be anything else. BTW my exhaust studs are fine so it can't be that. If it is the tensioner does everthing need to be taken apart just like a VTC replacement or is there an access panel like on the 4th gen?

2. This question is regarding my auto transmission. It does not slip, but it does have a hard 1-2 shift. Anyway I have noticed twice in bad stop and go traffic the transmission will not go 1-2-1 consistently. Twice it did not engage I had to rev the engine to get it to engage with a clunck in gear. It went into neutral by itself. It did it once during christmas at a Best Buy parking lot which took a 1/2 hr to leave. It did it again a month later when I was at a badly backed up stop sign. Does this mean the trans is dying or could it be something else.

3. This is a problem that came up yesterday that had not been a problem since last fall. Last time it only did it for 5-10 min. Now it did it for the last 5 min going to work, and the entire ride home. Basically the engine runs really rough going put put put really loud and vibrating the entire car. It only runs rough in D,2,1,R but not in Park or Neutral. I think it is either a coil issue or an injector issue. I'm guessing and hoping coil could anyone back that up?

4. THis is the least of my worries, but every once in a while when I start my car the starter acts if it is not disengaging itself right away after the car starts. It makes a noise for 1-2 sec then goes away. Eventually I plan on relubing the starter to see if that helps, but is that a big thing to worry about?

Thanks

David
Old 02-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1. this problem is proboly NOT your timing chain tansioner its proboly the vtcs getting worse. my old ve ticked 100% of the time even with the vtcs grounded

2. check your tranny fluid if its fine theres somthing wrong with your tranny and it probobly needs to be rebiult

3. probobly the tranny is dying but not 100% sure but it proboly has nothing to do with anything on the engine

4. starter going bad
Old 02-19-2004, 06:50 PM

You might have lost a tensioner. To check it you have to tear down the top of engine.

Take off all wires and hoses, take off all belts, take off intake plenum, take off intake manifold, take off valve covers, take off front covers on head. There it all is.

The rear tensioner is on the very back. It lays almost on the bottom of chain (as far as gravity). If you take off all the covers and the chain is loose on the rear head and tight on front head. You lost a tensioner. When you push on the tensioner it should come back out. If it stays, replace it.

The VTCs are the 2 big gears on the end of the intake cams. This is a good time to fix them. The kits are $30 from Nissan. I rebuilt mine with just a vise. There is no reason to need a press. You will need a bearing puller with a sharp edge.

The lack of room sucks, I dropped my engine out. its not that hard!