3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Getting windows fixed..where to find part

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Getting windows fixed..where to find part

Hi Everyone,
I found this site a few years back and Thank God, I found my papers to find it again . I decided to refi by home and took out alittle extra to finally get my 91 Maxima GXE back in shape. I have a few issues that I wanted to ask your opinions on. I do know that anytime a female takes a car into anywhere to have anything done to it, it best to be equipped with as much knowledge as possible .
My first concern is the windows...as you all know, 91 Maxima windows were the worst windows systems ever made in the history of cars I think. 1 (Driver Window) out of 4 windows works at the moment. I remember when I posted before that there was talk of new or refurbished motors and mechanism. I need to find someone in So. CA that can either sell the parts to me or I can take my car and have them installed. I do not want to take my car someplace that will order the same ole parts from Nissian and this will continue to happen. I would like for this to be a one time only fix!
My next concern is the outside Roof. A small portion about the size of a golf ball, has lost the material that covers it (which was probably bondo!) and is showing the metal roof. I have covered it with some tape in the hopes that it won't rust thru with our weather and rain. Is this something that would I should be looking at as expensive work? This car was the best until I was broadsided back in 98 and the place we took it did the worst job possible! Anyway, getting the roof repaired, I would like to get the entire car painted...which leads me to my next concern.
Painting the car. Can they paint the car the same Nissian Maxima color? Its a gray one. Is it expensive to have a entire car painted these days? Are there better quality paints that I should be looking for? It does set outside and I don't have a cover, so I would appreciate any suggestions you might be willing to offer.
Everyone tells me that I should just buy a new car....but I can't afford to do this and if I buy another used car, then I wouldn't know what kinda trouble I was getting into. This car, in my opinion, is still a very good car and its paid for (well, except for doing all this stuff to it!) It also needs a new air compressor because it makes a loud noise when the air is on. Its been doing that for years, but still puts out cold air. I've decided that even tho that is atleast $800, i have to get it fix while the money is there (owe, owe, its off to work we go!), but this car HAS to last as long as possible!
My last concern, and its not as important as the other concerns, but my stereo went out right after the accident. I went to have another put in back then, but they wanted $1000's of dollars. The places that have checked it say that the whole system has gone out. I don't need (nor can I afford) another of the same quality systems ..although I'm wondering about the actual quality to begin with of the one that's in there.... can a more reasonable system be put into these cars and still work well? Nothing fancy, just something to listen to radio and cassettes on....gosh, do they still make cassette players or have they all gone to cds??
Well, I think that pretty much covers it! Just hope the little extra cash I took out covers it too. Again, I don't want to go expensive, just cleaned up alittle and repaired to make it last.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have,
Lalla
Old 02-20-2004, 11:12 AM

The motors for the windows should not be too expensive depending where you get them from. Depending on the shop that you take your car to, you will get different rates for installation. The roof shouldn't be too much of an expense either since from the way you describe it, compound should close the hole perfectly. The paintjob price will vary considerably between different shops. You can get Nissan OEM paint which will probably cost you a pretty penny and it's an ok quality. However because of the popularity of aftermarket paintjobs there are a massive amount of paints that can be bought cheaper. I am not sure of what the prices will be like in So. Cal but I'm sure some of the local .orgers (just made that word up) will be able to guide you to some good shops.
Oh, about the stereo, cheap systems are in the 100's and installation should be pretty cheap if it's nothing fancy.
Good Luck with your Maxima!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:51 AM
mod or sell?

I sell the window regulators and motors
Old 02-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info. I was really hoping to find someone local that had the parts, but if I don't hear from another in SO. CA, you'll be hearing from me :-) I am assuming that your's are the ones that don't break anymore??
Thanks again,
Lalla
Old 02-22-2004, 02:40 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Lallla
Thanks for the info. I was really hoping to find someone local that had the parts, but if I don't hear from another in SO. CA, you'll be hearing from me :-) I am assuming that your's are the ones that don't break anymore??
Thanks again,
Lalla
Heck, my originals lasted 11 years, And I know this particular company trys to improve the OE designs. so I wouldn't worry about em too much
Old 02-22-2004, 08:08 PM

Lalla, I sent you a PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Lallla
Thanks again,
Lalla
Not to sound sexist, but someone once told me that clear nail polish is a great way to cover exposed body parts so that they don't rust. I tried it on an old beater and it worked, for awhile. It's probably better than using tape.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Ford Only.

The trick to making the regulator last longer is by rolling down all your windows, taking WD40 with the straw attatched and spray it along the window guides ie: cracks where the window slides up, it will trickle down and keep the regulator oiled. Our windows really dont have problems, the regulators just get old and crack and break. I have seen some domestics break after 5 years. Internetautomart has the best prices I have seen in a long time, you are best off to get parts online than locally...most SoCal shops like to rob you. When I first got my car I didnt know better and went to Buena Park Nissan and paid $540 for the replacement of ONE regulator. I HIGHLY recommend getting your parts from internetautomart and buying yourself a $20 tool kit to keep in your car for anything in the future. I KNOW girls arent too good at wrenching, but believe me it is so easy that an elementary school kid could do it. Get the parts and check this out:

http://www.4dsc.com/articles/interio...lator_cb.shtml
http://www.4dsc.com/articles/interio...egulator.shtml

You will be VERY happy with yourself once you complete this.

With the roof I would recommend taking the tape off and getting any if all rust off, go get some touch up paint at the autoparts that will match your car and just goop it on there, it is the best you can do. With paint you can get a quick quality paint job for around $1k, talk to Derrick another SoCal member, he has the paint hook ups and lives in Buena Park. With the stereo, basically you can build a KICK **** stereo for $1,000 I am talking 6 inner speakers and a sub, with MP3 player head unit and all.

I hope this helps you a bit, if you have any other questions, just PM me. Once again, dont give up on the old car you will be SURPRISED and what it can still do for you AND how much you would miss it if it were gone.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I didn't disappear!!

Hi Everyone,
I really appreciate all of the info that you guys have sent by email, private message and posted here. Besides working day and night to get a site up and running, I ran into some major computer problems after upgrading. I am just now able to get back online and get back to work.
Unfortunately, I will not have as much money available to me as I had hoped to fix up the car, so I will have to go with the best deals for my money. I guess the most important things are the Windows, Roof and the Air Compressor for the air conditioner (That's the most expensive cost!). The radio will have to take a backseat to everything else that is important to keeping the car in running order and overall safety. I have a local shop that will give me suggestions to other places to do the body work (roof) and the electrical (windows), but I still have to make sure the latter will do the work AFTER I order the parts from where you guys suggested. I do NOT want them to put in old parts again that will break in a year.
I'm still open to suggestions and welcome any info you can give. It will be a slow process since I still have to get my site up and running so that I can then go back to my eBay auctions which I do fulltime and get my income coming back in. My brain is alittle overwhelmed at the moment! but it doesn't take much for that to happen :-)
Thanks again to all of you and I hope to be able to pop in and discuss this with some of you soon.
Lalla
Orange County, CA
MrsWWonka@cs.com