3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The VE is back in action as of 5pm est !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 06:50 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

The VE is back in action as of 5pm est !!

man i picked her back up tonight ! what a thrill to get the ve 5spd back on the road ! let me tell you the port and polish and the udp make this car feel strong as heck !! i havent really streched her legs yet im gonna let it break in for a bit, but im telling you now just by the pull of this car its quick. im just happy to have her back !!! man now i need a radio
Old 03-02-2004, 06:53 PM

Its always nice to get your car back, especially after having work done to it. Let us know how if feels when you strech her legs out a bit.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

great to here
Old 03-02-2004, 07:15 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

def glad to see another max back in action.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:39 PM

I was going to ask if you got it back yet. Got the mail today

So in the end, the pistons were fine and you just put those new heads on right?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:44 PM

Great, glad to hear you got it fixed. I remember your original post when the heads got trashed. Anyways, congrats!
Old 03-02-2004, 07:45 PM

what exactly happened to your engine?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:47 PM
mod or sell?

Freakin took you long enough!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:40 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Freakin took you long enough!
hey alls well that ends well i guess....

the pistons were fine the heads however were trashed, broken roller rockers, bent valves, gashed cams, ect.... but shes ok now and will be for a loooong time !!!! and ill let ya know when i strech her legs out im gonna let a few hundred miles rack up maybe like 2-3 hundred, then ill open her up and see what she can do !! man im excited !!! still need a radio though !! lol....
Old 03-02-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

Sweet! Specs? Dyno!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:17 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

after i break her back in im going to see if i can find a dyno place around here and have it dyno'd im dyin to see what she can do !!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

thats great...I was saddened when I read what happened especially since I have to replace mine.

I am glad it is back and running.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by gowirelessnj
hey alls well that ends well i guess....

the pistons were fine the heads however were trashed, broken roller rockers, bent valves, gashed cams, ect.... but shes ok now and will be for a loooong time !!!! and ill let ya know when i strech her legs out im gonna let a few hundred miles rack up maybe like 2-3 hundred, then ill open her up and see what she can do !! man im excited !!! still need a radio though !! lol....
i will be heading down the same road in a few months, heres why
Old 03-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Banned

lets see some results!!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 06:35 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by HotAzzMax
lets see some results!!!!
best i can do for now is plug in my gtech and let her rip, ill do that on saturday and post the gtech results for now. however i did open her up today my mechanic said it was ok and a formal break in period was not really required 2 things i noticed was that the idle was a bit off heres what i found the idle air control plug was not plugged in i plugged it in and the connection was loose (i jiggled it and it came on then off then on ect..) so i think i need to fix that. however does that only control the cold idle ? would that affect the complete idle ? second thing i noticed was that when she hit 6300 rpm it lost power and when i let of the clutch it was struggling to stay on and sound like it was "chugging" then after a minute it went away and drove fine....any ideas guys ? other than that this things FAST !!
Old 03-04-2004, 07:00 PM

You probably need to let the ECU learn your upgrades. When I grounded my VTC's I noticed my gas milage went down but now its normal again so I'm assuming the ecu had to relearn for that mod. If you want a stock bose radio I'll give you mine tape deck doesn't work though but it's something for now. I live close by your work so I can drop it off for ya.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:11 PM

I would think the ECU was already reset from it being in the shop. hmmm, I know when I ground my VTC's my idle goes down the ****ter. Maybe there is a small leak in a vacuum line?
Old 03-05-2004, 01:00 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

asked my mechanic and he said the timing just may need to be tweeked a bit cause the cars fine until after 6000rpms so he is gonn look at it tommorrow 4 me.

magowin - i dont work at tmobile anymore but i can meet u down there however does the cd and radio work ? i dont use the tape at all... and does it look like this ??? this is the stock BOSE headunit in my car...

Old 03-05-2004, 03:47 PM

asked my mechanic and he said the timing just may need to be tweeked a bit cause the cars fine until after 6000rpms so he is gonn look at it tommorrow 4 me.

magowin - i dont work at tmobile anymore but i can meet u down there however does the cd and radio work ? i dont use the tape at all... and does it look like this ??? this is the stock BOSE headunit in my car...

Looks just like the one i have
Old 03-05-2004, 03:50 PM

Damn sorry man I only have the single din model so in other words I just have am/fm cassete so I'm assuming you'll have to put the Cup Holder thingy in if you wanna use mine. The Radio works fine just the display is a little dim and like I said the cassete deck doesn't work thats why I swapped it out went nuts just listening to the radio. The unit I have is Bose though so it should be compatible with your amps.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:02 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

darn, hey thanks for trying to help i appreciate it alot however i need that exact model !
Old 03-05-2004, 04:02 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by emeraldmax
Looks just like the one i have
wanna sell ?
Old 03-05-2004, 05:05 PM

wanna sell ?
sure, PM me with an offer.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:41 AM

there's a guy named David Cross who fixes Bose if it's fixable for $125. do a google search. he fixed my double din no problem, and the turnaround was fast. unfortunately the tape couldn't be fixed since he said the capacitor leaked all over it. i bought my unit from eBay and got ripped off since it was non-functional. he also sells new amps too. and no, i am not david cross

www.davescoolstuff.com Click Nissan on the left.

and congrats on getting the car back.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Ford Only.

so you ported and polished the heads? what else?
Old 03-06-2004, 11:17 AM

underdrive pulley
new heads
some of MrGone's parts on the engine now
new VTC's
ummmmm?
Old 03-06-2004, 06:10 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by dmontzmax
so you ported and polished the heads? what else?
heads ported and polished, lower intake was port matched to heads upper intake was port matched to lower, throttle body was ported a bit however the stock butterfly remains, i havent found a bigger throttle body yet so i had done what i could to it.....got the WSP y-pipe, short throw, ASP underdrive, piggie CAI (soon) for now pop charger, and fully functional new VTC'S !! yeah for me ! no more diesel maxima, LOL and yes mr.gone (shawn) has contributed to this awesome VE project, THANKS !! hey we gotta have a meet too bad im so far
Old 03-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Ford Only.

heads ported and polished, lower intake was port matched to heads upper intake was port matched to lower, throttle body was ported a bit however the stock butterfly remains, i havent found a bigger throttle body yet so i had done what i could to it.....got the WSP y-pipe, short throw, ASP underdrive, piggie CAI (soon) for now pop charger, and fully functional new VTC'S !! yeah for me ! no more diesel maxima, LOL and yes mr.gone (shawn) has contributed to this awesome VE project, THANKS !! hey we gotta have a meet too bad im so far

Niiiice, makes for a GOOD running VE.

VE POWER!
Old 03-06-2004, 06:31 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Did you ever get a chance to just test before and after results on the headwork and lower intake porting? B/c in order to match the lower intake to the heads, you have to remove rediculous amounts of metal. I slightly ported the bottom of the lower intake. I lost a noticable amount of low end but gained back the top end. I didn't get any faster in the 1/4 mile with my testing, but I'm glad I did it for traction reasons and since I have any rev limit I chose to have.

http://www.littlebabywebs.com/maxima/maximalbw.html

I have pics of my porting projects on my webpage. Did you do port work like that? Or did you port a lot more? What I did was gasket match the bottom of the upper intake and match the top of the lower intake. But I wouldn't dare come close to matching the bottom of the lower intake to the heads or even gasket match it. It would be way to drastic I think. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:20 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

well i had a macine shop do all the work, if i tried that myself id probably mess it up dosent feel like i lost anything, i definitly gained some nice power from the work. i explained to the machine shop guy what i wanted and how i wanted the car to react throught the powerband thats just what the guy told me, now maybe he diddnt get THAT drastic with it but thats how he explained it to me and i know it was done i saw the before and after i could tell it was ported however im not machine guy so i cant tell by eyeballin it. like i said thats how the guy explained it to me. Now after driving it again i feel a great difference and the machine shop guy did a great job !!
Old 03-06-2004, 07:31 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Very nice. Good job. I mean, I know some gains can be gotten from porting the intake ports in the heads. But I don't see how you could port that much. Now I never got a chance to check out the exhaust ports. Did he ports those too? Those might prove to be beneficial gains.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:34 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

yes they were, now how much i have no idea. the guy told me ill see a better gain if i do BOTH and cost wise it wouldnt be much different so he did both
Old 03-06-2004, 07:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

yes they were, now how much i have no idea. the guy told me ill see a better gain if i do BOTH and cost wise it wouldnt be much different so he did both
Very nice! If I ever get a chance to have my heads off, then I will definitely do port work to both intake and exhaust ports on the heads. I also plan to do cams one day. If you beat me to it, make sure you get before and after dynos of the cams.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:50 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

definitly !
Old 03-06-2004, 08:10 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Dude, you really need to hit the track. Did you know the fastest NA VE is only 14.3s? Put some slicks on that thing and you can beat that. I'm trying to beat it myself with my automagic.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Dude, you really need to hit the track. Did you know the fastest NA VE is only 14.3s? Put some slicks on that thing and you can beat that. I'm trying to beat it myself with my automagic.
im eager to see what mine can do after the rebuilt engine this spring + all bolt ons
Old 03-06-2004, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
+1 on beating the record, i think i'll have a good shot at it if i can learn to launch (aka if i keep my stupid suspension together long enough to drive it hard) and keep traction through first/second

gowireless: VIDEOS!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:30 PM

Aaron, I smoothed it out abit after that, there was also quite abit of shavings in those pics. I should have taken some before I put it back on the car but I was getting tired of it and just wanted it done with, lol. I still need to do the throttle body area

I think I'll try to get some videos tommarrow if I dont drop my gas tank.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:14 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MrGone
Aaron, I smoothed it out abit after that, there was also quite abit of shavings in those pics. I should have taken some before I put it back on the car but I was getting tired of it and just wanted it done with, lol. I still need to do the throttle body area

I think I'll try to get some videos tommarrow if I dont drop my gas tank.
Yeah. I was only going off a few pictures I saw a month or two ago. It looked pretty rough. But in those pics you recently posted, it's hard to tell since it wasn't a close up. But I'm sure you did fine. Just make sure to keep feeling with your finger to smooth out all dips in the airflow. Waves are bad! You know that.

The TB porting actually helped me a lot more than intake runner porting. But since I am able to have any redline I want, I can take advantage of my optimal 6900 rpm shift point. The optimal shift point for a stock VE would be around 6500-6600. My port work, according to my dynos, stretched the peak power level much higher in the revs. So that can be a good thing if you are able to rev higher. But then again, I still didn't see the improvements in the 1/4 mile like I saw with my TB porting.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:25 AM

yeah, I cant really feel a difference. Well I did at first, but that was because my first time driving it ported it was like 27* out and all of first gear would spin, I was sad when a few days later first gear had (some) traction I should port my TB/TB opening on the manifold, but I'm just tired of dealing with metal shavings lol. I figured I'll just do it when I have the engine apart again.

Quick Reply: The VE is back in action as of 5pm est !!