3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 10:39 AM

Leak!!

Ok, well my antifreeze was leaking b4 I replaced my tranny. After I got it done, it somehow stopped on its own. Well I left my car parked all night last night, no leaks at all. I moved my car so my mom could get out, went back out probably 45 min later and now there is a puddle underneath my car. Its dripping off the back off the crank pulley which makes me think its the water pump. Could it jsut be the gasket or most likely the water pump that needs replaced? I really dont want to replace the water pump I just dont see why it wouldn't leak all night then when I start it up to move it and park it again it starts leaking.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:57 AM

I had the same problem. It turned out to be my water pump. I have a VE so it may vary a little. However, I think the principle is still the same. When your car heats up the water/antifreeze mixture circulates to cool your motor. That's when it gets to the pump and leaks out one of the holes (I forget what they're called). The leaking would usually tapper off as the car sits. This is what happened to me, chances are its happening to you. If your lucky, it may just be a hose.

Good Luck
Old 03-06-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by fugi43
I had the same problem. It turned out to be my water pump. I have a VE so it may vary a little. However, I think the principle is still the same. When your car heats up the water/antifreeze mixture circulates to cool your motor. That's when it gets to the pump and leaks out one of the holes (I forget what they're called). The leaking would usually tapper off as the car sits. This is what happened to me, chances are its happening to you. If your lucky, it may just be a hose.

Good Luck
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the leak is on my VE. Well I just put some radiator stop leak in and drove it around for a bit. I'm gonna go back out and check it in a few. I hope it stopped leaking for now. I dont wanna replace my water pump today lol But anyways, how would you rate changing the water pump of a VE from 1 to 5, 5 being the hardest. Thanks

Cole
Old 03-06-2004, 11:23 AM

I would say if you do it by the book (FSM) its a 4. That's just for shear aggrevation for all the stuff you have to remove. My buddy and I just jacked up the engine by the front motor mount and that made it a 2. It gave us just enough clearance to get it out and we did it in 1.5 hrs. However, this method could be the reason I'm replacing the rear motor mount 2 yrs later? Its hard to say.

BTW, I would recommend against the stop leak. Your better off letting it leak, refilling it occasionally, and fixin' it right when you get the chance. From what I hear your just throwing a whole bunch of copper flakes in that probably won't stop your leak. However, they can effect the cooling effeciency of your radiator and stop up portions of your cooling rows. Does anyone else know of this? This is what I've heard.

P.S. Check the hose clamps on the upper radiator hose. If the one on the engine side is leaking it might run down and out by the crank shaft pulley.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:38 AM

I would say if you do it by the book (FSM) its a 4. That's just for shear aggrevation for all the stuff you have to remove. My buddy and I just jacked up the engine by the front motor mount and that made it a 2. It gave us just enough clearance to get it out and we did it in 1.5 hrs. However, this method could be the reason I'm replacing the rear motor mount 2 yrs later? Its hard to say.

BTW, I would recommend against the stop leak. Your better off letting it leak, refilling it occasionally, and fixin' it right when you get the chance. From what I hear your just throwing a whole bunch of copper flakes in that probably won't stop your leak. However, they can even effect the cooling effeciency of your radiator and stop up portions of your cooling rows. Does anyone else know of this? This is what I've heard.

P.S. Check the hose clamps on the upper radiator hose. If the one on the engine side is leaking it might run down and out by the crank shaft pulley.

when you say you jacked up the engine by the front motor mount, what did you do? did you disconnect the front mount then jack up the motor. And I did check the radiator hose, no leaks. Do you have any idea why it woudl just start leaking out of no where after sitting all night last night. I mean it leaked b4, and stopped on its own then just started again. I just wanna get this car ready to sell. And wanna be able to drive it w/o any problems until then. I wish I could get some more opnions on this. But I appreciate the info you've given me. Thanks a lot man

Cole
Old 03-06-2004, 12:06 PM

Well, It's been 2yrs since I did the job but here goes. I put the car on jackstands, then used a heavy jack to support the engine. Once I knew it was supported I unbolted the mount and lifted it up just enough to slide out the pump (all belts were removed prior). I think it had 4 bolts but I can't remember for sure.

The reason it stopped and started again could be because the stop leak. It is usually only a temporary fix. Also, as I noted in my 1st post, coolant doesn't circulate to your pump while the car is off. Whatever is in it leaks out slowly till it almost stops completely. So, if your car was sitting for a few days it would stop leaking. Then, when you start it up the coolant will start to circulate again. It will get to the bad pump and start leaking . As you said, it may also be your the seal around the pump. Try lookin' down at it from above with a flashlight and see if you notice anything (after driven).

I'm by no means an expert. I just did the job before and thought I could help ya out (no prob. at all). If anyone else has an opinion feel free to chime in. I'm goin' to change my tranny fluid now. If you have any q's I'll be back in an hr. or so.

Lata
Old 03-06-2004, 01:56 PM

Well, It's been 2yrs since I did the job but here goes. I put the car on jackstands, then used a heavy jack to support the engine. Once I knew it was supported I unbolted the mount and lifted it up just enough to slide out the pump (all belts were removed prior). I think it had 4 bolts but I can't remember for sure.

The reason it stopped and started again could be because the stop leak. It is usually only a temporary fix. Also, as I noted in my 1st post, coolant doesn't circulate to your pump while the car is off. Whatever is in it leaks out slowly till it almost stops completely. So, if your car was sitting for a few days it would stop leaking. Then, when you start it up the coolant will start to circulate again. It will get to the bad pump and start leaking . As you said, it may also be your the seal around the pump. Try lookin' down at it from above with a flashlight and see if you notice anything (after driven).

I'm by no means an expert. I just did the job before and thought I could help ya out (no prob. at all). If anyone else has an opinion feel free to chime in. I'm goin' to change my tranny fluid now. If you have any q's I'll be back in an hr. or so.

Lata
Well it stopped leaking on it own. About 2 weeks ago i was working on getting the old tranny out and putting in another one. it was leaking then. after i got the tranny in and done, i was gonna put some antifreeze in but it was full and it didn't leak anymore (I didn't put any stop leak in it untill today). It hasn't leaked all this time until this morning when I moved my car. I parked it last night and went to bed (no leaks this morning). I went out and moved it around noon, came back in then went back out after about an hour to move it again and it was leaking. So I put some stop leak in it and it stopped again.