3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

DIN Cupholder

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2000, 04:30 PM

Does anybody know if there is a Nissan or aftermarket cupholder that fits where the storage compartment with the broken door (everyone's is broken - right?) under the radio is? I know Toyota makes one but if I put a Toyota part in my car, who knows what it will do to me.
I'm new here. I appreciate any feedback (well, constructive feedback).

Old 09-21-2000, 05:12 PM
Maxima Princess

Well I dont know if I can provide constructive feedback, but if it makes you feel better my compartment door under my stereo is broken too There's all kinds of cupholders you can buy out there, unfortunately I havent found one that works yet. The best place I put my drinks is the little spot between the drivers seat & the door. Holds real well, doesn't fall back or nothing. Just remember it's there when you open the door so it doesn't fall out.....=)
Old 09-22-2000, 07:38 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by dgraves
Does anybody know if there is a Nissan or aftermarket cupholder that fits where the storage compartment with the broken door (everyone's is broken - right?) under the radio is? I know Toyota makes one but if I put a Toyota part in my car, who knows what it will do to me.
nissan does make one for the 92* and up max. it's a slide out draw w/ two poor excuses for a cup holder. it's avail at your local dealer or at courtesy nissan for 50 bucks or so...now the question is HOW BAD do u want cup holders? maybe try the junkyards too.
Dan
Old 09-22-2000, 09:10 AM

Thanks, guys. You're right, Dan, $50 is kind of high for a cupholder but what I'm using now is pretty darn ugly. I have one cupholder that plugs into the cigarette lighter which looks terrible and leaves me no place to plug in the cell phone (which is, of course, only used while parked). I also have one that clips on to the air vent which is also ugly and can only hold a 12 oz can or small bottomed coffee mug.

Old 09-22-2000, 09:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Thanks, guys. You're right, Dan, $50 is kind of high for a cupholder but what I'm using now is pretty darn ugly. I have one cupholder that plugs into the cigarette lighter which looks terrible and leaves me no place to plug in the cell phone (which is, of course, only used while parked). I also have one that clips on to the air vent which is also ugly and can only hold a 12 oz can or small bottomed coffee mug.
well the stock one uses the second DIN (flip down draw) space and it folds back in then not in use. asethics..it looks better...but if u want something that will hold a big gulp..this stock piece won't hold it. it's pretty shallow to really support a drink when making a hard turn...but it's better than having it fly all over the place ya know on your lap or something.
i would definitely check out the junkyards and see what's avail..maybe you'll get lucky.
Dan
Old 09-22-2000, 03:07 PM

mine isn't broken. Sorry just had to feel better than someone else since my car is dying. I can still say my compartment works.
Old 09-23-2000, 11:45 AM

my 2nd DIN door isn't broken. and i use that same technique sarah uses ince in a while. will the DIN cupholders from a 92-94 fit in a 89-91?
Old 09-23-2000, 11:55 AM
Maxima Princess

I also had a friend that had a 92 with DIN cupholders which she says dont hold much but a paper cup. Well her husband took a little saw (not sure what kind) and he just made the holes big enough to fit soda cans and other things.....its an idea.
Old 06-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Compartment door under radio...

Hi all,

Of course mine is broken also. And I too thought everyones was also. I took it apart and the design was pretty bad to begin with(sorry to say)(and yes it really isnt a big deal all things considered)but I love my car. What I found was that there is a little plastic nub with a slot that one end of a spring goes into. This is the area that breaks. Even while the spring is in the normal position it exerts uneven forces to that area and the break occurs. I did try and use some ABS glue but the area is just a little more stressed than the glue will hold. If youre looking to just fix the door to stock then you might try some "plastic welder" names will vary but its comes in a 2 part syringe (like epoxy) but the material is plastic and I like the way it bonds when I fix my motorcycle parts. There is very little waste and it is very quick setting. The only thing is that you would have to drill a hole for the spring end to go into. I will be doing the platic fix and will post any tips or problems when I can. I will also be looking for some better drink holder setup as I have had numerous spills. Which is why many Max's I have seen always have sticky areas unders the e-brake handle(soda most likely). I have even thought of modding the existing (Tiny)arm rest compartment, but the retrac seat belt rollers are there. If they weren't I'm sure Nissan would've had a very deep compartment with drink holders. Anyway I said enough...thanks for reading.

Chipburner90GXE
Old 06-07-2002, 09:23 PM

Look on e-bay, I got a single din size cup holder and change drawer, it came out of a Saab 9000. Fit right in <tightly>

MM
Old 06-07-2002, 09:24 PM

The search function backlash continues
Old 06-08-2002, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Bucktown
my 2nd DIN door isn't broken. and i use that same technique sarah uses ince in a while. will the DIN cupholders from a 92-94 fit in a 89-91?
yes they will, but nothing fits in the cup holders. soda cans are too big for the small hole and too small for the big hole, and other cups are too big for both holes. sometimes if i have a soda can, i'll stick napkins inside the big hole to make the hole a little smaller so it'll stay. but i usually stick drinks between the parking brake and the seat
Old 06-08-2002, 09:29 PM

James92se here ...

Anyways, if you're smart you'll just not allow drinks in your car. Or just get a bottle with a cap on it so it cant be spilled.

I have the crappy little stock DIN cupholder in mine but never use it because a)I dont usually have any drinks in my car, and b)the thing is totally useless anyway!
Old 06-08-2002, 09:29 PM

...and I thought I was the only one w/the broken door, heh
Old 06-08-2002, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by James12345
James92se here ...

Anyways, if you're smart you'll just not allow drinks in your car. Or just get a bottle with a cap on it so it cant be spilled.

I have the crappy little stock DIN cupholder in mine but never use it because a)I dont usually have any drinks in my car, and b)the thing is totally useless anyway!
what happened, changed your name...and you gotta start back at newbie? i thought you could remain at your current status
Old 06-08-2002, 09:53 PM

Didnt change my name......

Had to make this name to be able to post

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=126455

Somebody help me!

I PM'd Jambo, havent heard back...
Old 06-08-2002, 11:49 PM

You guys drink pop in your cars? Oh my god.

If found that w/o cupholders, I end up with a lot less empty pop cans rolling around the back seat. Ive got a cupholder...right next to the boys. I hate using that cupholder though, for obvious reasons. The fact Ive got a 5spd and cell phone doesnt really allow me to drink and drive.

Looks like Im the only one on here with CD player (single DIN) under my factory tape player. I read once it was a dealer installed option in '91...any truth to that?
Old 06-08-2002, 11:52 PM

Blah! I took mine out and got $20 for it on E-bay. I just buy the
20 oz bottles and keep them on the passenger seat.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lol patrick, $20 on ebay, not to bad.

the thing with the passanger seat works for me sometimes, but others they end up on the floor. i have leather and the crack eats anything i put on the seat then it sometimes spits it out the side and ends up in its belly (under the seat).
MrGone
Old 07-06-2002, 03:22 PM

I love my 1989 GXE, but like most of you, also, my one beef with this model of maxima is the lack of a good cupholder. The ones in the glove compartment are such an afterthought it's a joke. Those are "cruise at 70mph on the interstate with no turns for 3+hours cupholders", for tiny little cups. And Dammit (excuse my french) they didnt give the 2002 cupholers either.grr. Even with an automatic, it's a pain to hold the drink, hit the turn signal and turn the wheel.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Jeff91SE
You guys drink pop in your cars? Oh my god.

If found that w/o cupholders, I end up with a lot less empty pop cans rolling around the back seat. Ive got a cupholder...right next to the boys. I hate using that cupholder though, for obvious reasons. The fact Ive got a 5spd and cell phone doesnt really allow me to drink and drive.

Looks like Im the only one on here with CD player (single DIN) under my factory tape player. I read once it was a dealer installed option in '91...any truth to that?
I have the bose CD player in my 2nd DIN slot as well, but it died after 11 years (89 SE), so it's just taking up space right now until I replace it; perhaps with a decent cupholder. Big Taco Bell cups don't fit very well between the e-brake handle and the passenger seat, but I usually recruit cupholders when necessary (friends, little brothers, etc.).
Old 07-07-2002, 11:27 PM
whiteve

get a toyota part and your car will slow right down just like a toyota.

Old 07-08-2002, 04:36 PM

Damn, talk about digging up ancient history.

BTW, I found a Taurus single DIN cupholder and it fit in with a little Dremel work. It only holds 12 oz cans or equivalent. I will post some pictures if anyone is interested.

Oh and since the original post, I have also acquired not one but two Toyotas and one of them is a lot faster than the Maxima.