3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone pull a VE with the tranny in place?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 08:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

Anyone pull a VE with the tranny in place?

I've done many engine pulls but always pulled the tranny first. I wonder if anyone left the tranny in? I know a few guys pulled the tranny with the engine though.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:39 AM

Well when we pulled N34JZ's engine we were thinking of leaving the tranny in place, but my mechanic said that on the way up the pressure plate might hit the bell housing so instead of taking a chance, we just dropped the tranny first.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I've done many engine pulls but always pulled the tranny first. I wonder if anyone left the tranny in? I know a few guys pulled the tranny with the engine though.
i dont think its smart to pull the motor like that...its marginally more work to just unbolt the tranny from its mounts and pull it with the motor. problem would be separating the tranny w/o moving it, the way i pulled my tranny off was by wiggling it away from the motor, it'd be tough to do that with the motor instead of the tranny wouldnt it?
Old 03-09-2004, 09:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

So you pulled the engine out from the top with the tranny in place? I think that might be the way to go this time. Would save time. Did the tranny/engine bang around on anything? Once the tranny and engine are out, it's really no problem to pull the tranny off the engine. Just wiggle it off. The engine will be on a block and tackle pulley anyway so it's no problem

Originally Posted by MaDMaX024
i dont think its smart to pull the motor like that...its marginally more work to just unbolt the tranny from its mounts and pull it with the motor. problem would be separating the tranny w/o moving it, the way i pulled my tranny off was by wiggling it away from the motor, it'd be tough to do that with the motor instead of the tranny wouldnt it?
Old 03-09-2004, 09:36 AM

So you pulled the engine out from the top with the tranny in place? I think that might be the way to go this time. Would save time. Did the tranny/engine bang around on anything? Once the tranny and engine are out, it's really no problem to pull the tranny off the engine. Just wiggle it off. The engine will be on a block and tackle pulley anyway so it's no problem
it wasnt hard at all..just make sure you unbolt your shifter linkage (i forgot), it comes out pretty slow, you need to make sure the front of the motor is angeled WAY higher than the tranny..it also helps to have 2 jacks to raise and lower each side of the car independently when the motor/tranny is coming out..you'll also need someone to work the cherry picker.
one thing that you might wanna do before you take too much apart is take the crank pulley off, it'll give you another 1.5" or so to wiggle the motor/tranny out.
also when you have the tranny lifted, pull the mounts off of it, that'll give you a bit more clearance. you'll also need to move the clutch line around..take the battery out of the enginebay and take the hood off. sounds like alot but just look for things that'll get in the way and move them.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

Hmmm, I'll have to think about it. Thanks. Last time I pulled the motor, it came right out with the pulley/mounts but the tranny was off. BTW. The hood doesn't have to come off. When you take the hood struts off, the hood bends all the way back to the windshield! You just have to pad the windshield or put a box inbetween. heh
Old 03-09-2004, 10:13 AM

Hmmm, I'll have to think about it. Thanks. Last time I pulled the motor, it came right out with the pulley/mounts but the tranny was off. BTW. The hood doesn't have to come off. When you take the hood struts off, the hood bends all the way back to the windshield! You just have to pad the windshield or put a box inbetween. heh
i didnt mean the motor mounts, i meant the tranny mounts, IIRC, the rear one gets in the way.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:16 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ok thanks. I guess I would remove the udp anyway as it's an aftermarket part to swap anyway.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With the old auto we did it, but we went from the bottom. Didn't even bother removing the axles since the passanger side one was ripped in two and the new car already had good axles.

At first I couldnt figure out why you had to do this, but now I get it.

Have you been thinking about buying a new drivers axle or is it not really that big of a deal?
Old 03-09-2004, 02:59 PM

After pulling a motor and tranny together and installing compared to doing MadMax024's, I would say together would be much easier if I did it again. I am sure that installing the motor without the tranny attached to the motor would be as difficult as visa versa if not more difficult. Even though the third time installing the tranny while the engine was in place on MadMax024's car only took a good part of the day with 3 dudes, sometimes 2, I would say that if we did it again...we woud be better off pulling the whole motor and reattaching the tranny/motor, then installing as a whole.

As for the hood, there are 2 additional screw holes in the hood closer to the windsheild that allow for "Super Swap Mode" when you take off the mounts on the hood. I forget, but "Super Swap Mode" is somewhere in the the FSM funny enough, but I cant remember where I read it. Its not in the index though.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julio
After pulling a motor and tranny together and installing compared to doing MadMax024's, I would say together would be much easier if I did it again. I am sure that installing the motor without the tranny attached to the motor would be as difficult as visa versa if not more difficult. Even though the third time installing the tranny while the engine was in place on MadMax024's car only took a good part of the day with 3 dudes, sometimes 2, I would say that if we did it again...we woud be better off pulling the whole motor and reattaching the tranny/motor, then installing as a whole.

As for the hood, there are 2 additional screw holes in the hood closer to the windsheild that allow for "Super Swap Mode" when you take off the mounts on the hood. I forget, but "Super Swap Mode" is somewhere in the the FSM funny enough, but I cant remember where I read it. Its not in the index though.
hahaha, super swap mode! i completely forgot about that!
yeh, we'll pull my motor again soon...need a tapped oil pan and new transmission/clutch, then again you already know my plans so its pointless to tell you again