3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help! Weird 94 GXE ECU

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001 | 06:08 AM

Can anybody help? I cannot get the error code .

1. The screw hole on the ECU on my 94 max is also used to adjust idle speed.??

2. when I turn it fully clockwise, it reapeats the following code:

long,_long,long,_,short,short,short,_short,short,s hort,short,_,short,short,short,short,short.

When I turn it back fully CCW, it erases all the error code stored.

WHat's the problem? broken ECU?

3. Now the check engine light comes on when I hit the gas padel, and comes off when I release it, What the hell is that?

...I'll go mad...
Old 03-16-2001 | 08:34 AM

ecu diagnostics

first do you have 1 or 2 led lights on your ecu(should have one)second if you get 5 long flashes and then a pause that is a 5, if you get to long flashes thats 2. next when it follows with the short flashes that is the second #. so five long flashes then 5 short flashes means 55 or (system has no error at this time {code 55}. also your idle is set by a sensor that is non adjustable, crank angle sensor(but you can adjust the idle in another way. also the **** on the ecu is a potentiometer and must be returned to its origional possition for proper ecu opperation. to get a code which i think you did, simplyturn on the ignition but dont start,turn the **** on ecu to the right and count to 4, then turn it all the way to the left and get ready to write( it helps to count the flashes outloud, also it will keep sending the codes so if you niss it just wait and it will repeat, also if you find it hard to read the led, just use your check engine light they are linked. and finally the flashing with the gas pedal on excelleration sounds like it could be an egr valve problem and most likely will not give you a code except maybe 34 which is detonation, but there is a lengthy procedure for checking the valve but i recomend you let nissan do it because of the consult that they have but if your familiar with [mechanics give it a try its called koer (key on engine running)this ushually will detect bad egr opperation and oxygen sensor
Old 03-16-2001 | 09:03 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: ecu diagnostics

Originally posted by bigjay
also your idle is set by a sensor that is non adjustable, crank angle sensor
I thought this only applied to VE's (92 to 94 SEs) and not VG's (89 to 94 GXEs), since I have adjusted mine before....
Old 03-16-2001 | 09:57 AM

idle is adjustable on all models, what i ment to say was MY idle is non adjustable(except if i remove the cas and adjust it) but you can adjust yours in another way on your car but i would have to go about it diffrently sorry for the confusion
Old 03-16-2001 | 10:21 AM

GOt it! Thank you all!

Found out! there are 2 LEDs( 1red, 1green) but I saw only the green one on the right side because I can not take ECU out.
The 2 LEDs stand for the 2 digits of error code. And the check engine light is only sychronized with the green one.
Weird ...

The problem is clear. Error code=33, front O2 sensor.
Any body has experience replacing it? Where is this damned sensor in the engine bay?
Old 03-16-2001 | 10:55 AM

dont jump the gun

the sensor is in probally in your y pipe, but it could be a problem with that system and not nessesarely with the sensor. check the power going to the sensor,ground,imput signal. if everything checks out then do a koer test this will test the sensor
Old 03-16-2001 | 11:15 AM

Re: dont jump the gun

Where is the Y-pipe? we're having a trip to West Point tomorrow, can not wait for the manual...
Old 03-16-2001 | 11:44 AM

follow the exhaust under the car where it comes out of the header. under the car you will see your y pipe which is the exhaust where it comes from the engine and heads to the back of your car. along this pipe you will see something sort of stuck into the pipe with 2 or 3 wires comeing out of it. that is your culprate. you might have to put your own wire fittings to reconnect new one if there is not a clip. i had to do this on my se. its not hard but you will most likely encounter some difficulty removeing it from the exhaust it is in there goodn tight