3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

SE guages work in GXE...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 11:26 AM

I just completed the operation last night. '93 SE guages tranplanted into my '93 GXE cluster easily, and all works good. Now I can see when I go 145 mph!

Below is the original discussion, but I made this post, so all interested could know it can be done, instead of messing with overlays like I did first (sorry ngthing, nothin' personal, I just messed up).

http://216.122.219.59/forums/showthr...threadid=27628
Old 03-16-2001, 12:39 PM

hey, i'm just glad you got what you wanted in the end do the numbers line up with the stock GXE gauges?
Old 03-16-2001, 03:06 PM

how much did you pay. are you sure your speedo is calibrated right and everything?
Old 03-16-2001, 03:59 PM

Block...

Originally posted by block
how much did you pay. are you sure your speedo is calibrated right and everything?
Read the post that is linked at the top and that will answer both of your questions...

I you need to know anything else, I'll be glad to help out!

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2001, 05:17 PM

here you go so you dont have to read the whole post..

It Can Be Done!
Well, I did it. I went to the junkyard after work yesterday and bought a guage cluster from a '93 SE. The guy at the yard said that not all SE's had white guages. Is this true? I always thought differently. Oh well... I put the '93 SE guages into my '93 GXE pod about 1 hour ago. Just exchanged the three individual components. Everything works and looks great. I timed the 145 mph speedometer, since of course the GXE only goes to 125 mph. I set the cruise at 60 mph, and waited for a mile marker. I went 3 miles, to be more accurate, and it took 181 seconds. Only 1/3 mph off!!! So, anyone who wants to put these SE pods in their GXE, it works great!!!

It only cost me $50 for the entire cluster, and since I dug it out myself, and waded through 4' snow banks to get to the car, he gave me the cruise control switch and the fog light switch. What a deal!!

Sorry for rambling on, but I thought you all might like to know.

Thanks for reading...

Thats pretty cool, and it seems like a damn good deal! 50 bucks and all. hmm one of those future mods that ill probably never do for me hehe. BTW hows those cupholders goin?
Old 03-16-2001, 05:27 PM

Hmm....I'm a little confused.

Did you just transfer the face OR did you take the face and needles off of the se and put them in your pod OR did you swap out the whole unit?

Here is another test....If you go to wot in first it should shift EXACTLY at 6k. Does yours do that?
Old 03-19-2001, 05:59 AM

I hope this helps...

Originally posted by Mike S.
Hmm....I'm a little confused.

Did you just transfer the face OR did you take the face and needles off of the se and put them in your pod OR did you swap out the whole unit?

Here is another test....If you go to wot in first it should shift EXACTLY at 6k. Does yours do that?
I don't really know all the technical names and terms for these parts, but if you've every had the guage "cluster" apart, you'll know what I mean. The cluster being the entire assembly that comes out as one piece: the clear plastic shield, info lights, guages. I have the air bag in my GXE, and the SE I took the cluster from didn't, so I used my existing shell, and removed the 3 individual guages: speedometer, tachometer, and fuel/temp, including electronics: They each have between 4 and 8 screws holding them in place. I did not remove the needles or faces seperately, (that's how I got into trouble in the first place). I put the ones from the SE cluster into my GXE cluster, and pluged them in, and works well.

Again, about acuracy, all is perfect. For example...

Speedometer: drove 3 miles at 60mph, it took 181 seconds, which is about 1/3 mph off. My eyes could just be that far off. Had it up to 115 mph last night, and all works well.

Tachometer: warm engine in N, 750-800 rpm, as has always been. 60mph in O/D, almost exactly 2000 prm, same as always.

I am confident everything works as it's intended to. If there are any more questions, I'll be glad to help to the best of my ability!

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-19-2001, 03:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I hope this helps...

What about the light bulbs for the guage cluster? I remember FAST4En had a post about it, but I wanted to know how many bulbs are actually in the cluster. I wanted to get some hyper whites to put in when I finally find the cluster...
Old 03-20-2001, 05:33 AM

Re: Re: I hope this helps...

Originally posted by crsmax
What about the light bulbs for the guage cluster? I remember FAST4En had a post about it, but I wanted to know how many bulbs are actually in the cluster. I wanted to get some hyper whites to put in when I finally find the cluster...
There are 4 bulbs that illuminate the guages. The SE white faces come with blue bulb covers, and the GXE black faces come with green bulb covers. The bulbs are identical, just the covers are different. I don't know the size of bulbs off hand, maybe someone else has posted that in the past.

Thanks.