3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Recalls question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 08:21 PM

Recalls question

I've to the dealership today regarding a "rust" recall (gas filler area).
And to my surprise I was told that this particular recall was already applied to my Maxima 8 years ago (they keep records by VIN). And there is no way they would make "recall" related repairs in the second time (I've got rust from inside ot the trunk and under the rear seat - gas filler area).

Is it really true that recall can be serviced for free only once?
Is there any way to make 'em repair it again (because obviously it is the same problem as described in the "recall")?
Old 03-21-2004, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by rrrfoma
I've to the dealership today regarding a "rust" recall (gas filler area).
And to my surprise I was told that this particular recall was already applied to my Maxima 8 years ago (they keep records by VIN). And there is no way they would make "recall" related repairs in the second time (I've got rust from inside ot the trunk and under the rear seat - gas filler area).

Is it really true that recall can be serviced for free only once?
Is there any way to make 'em repair it again (because obviously it is the same problem as described in the "recall")?
Problem is in same area but not exactly the same.
Is normal for any repaired area to rust out several years later unless absolutely no filler was used in the original repair. No matter how good the application of body filler, eventually it breaks down enough to let air & moisture get trapped between it & metal it sits over. Unfortunately, it's very hard & expensive to get body panels back to original shape without using filler - you've got 8 years which indicates good workmanship the first time around.
If this is an under body problem, it's most likely to do with a lack of underbody sealant (either through being washed off or chipped of by stones over time) which has exposed an area previously repaired. Again, body filler most likely used.
Sorry - you can only fix the original recall once unless the work wasn't done correctly the first time, or inferior parts were used in the first repair. If this was a bad repair, it would have rusted within 1-2 years. You'd need an expert body shop repairer to prove that A) Nissan was negligent in not ensuring repair done properly & B) the body shop used was not competent, operated in a competent manner or did not employ good workmanship to affect the repair, before trying to litigate anyone.
Cheaper & quicker to get the work done again...
Old 03-21-2004, 10:19 AM

it seems to me I'll have to do it myself then ... one more summer project
... but meanwhile I'll stop by a body shop too (they hate to deal with 12y old cars).
again, thanks for the advice!