3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How to remove Lower 1/2 of Air Filter Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 04:59 AM

How to remove Lower 1/2 of Air Filter Box

Yesterday afternoon I was planning on replacing my starter and putting my ebay cold air intake in as a popcharger at the same time. I was able to get the two breather hoses disconnected, MAF sensor unplugged, top of the Air Filter box removed, black intake duct with resonator removed, but I had problems getting the bottom box out. There was a screw near the driver's side fender, but it kept on spinning and I did not see a nut on the bottom of it to grab a hold of. Am I supposed to just yank the thing out of there, or are there some hidden screws I need to take out. It was getting late and cold so I put everything back together for now. Any advice for when I try next? I didn't think this would have been the hardest part

Thanks,

David
Old 03-22-2004, 05:09 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

there are hidden studs underneath it that hold it to the body...they can't be removed so the only advise I can give is to wiggle it and manipulate the box around until its free, pretty much the only way. or of course you can just rip it out
Old 03-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Way out West

Yeah, it didn't seem that hard, you probably just missed a bolt somewhere.

Ask MrGone. He has taken out about 756756845 airboxes (along with the same amount of just about every part in the engine bay) I think he could probably do it blindfolded.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by dc17h21o4n
Yesterday afternoon I was planning on replacing my starter and putting my ebay cold air intake in as a popcharger at the same time. I was able to get the two breather hoses disconnected, MAF sensor unplugged, top of the Air Filter box removed, black intake duct with resonator removed, but I had problems getting the bottom box out. There was a screw near the driver's side fender, but it kept on spinning and I did not see a nut on the bottom of it to grab a hold of. Am I supposed to just yank the thing out of there, or are there some hidden screws I need to take out. It was getting late and cold so I put everything back together for now. Any advice for when I try next? I didn't think this would have been the hardest part

Thanks,

David
Their are no screws to remove when taking out the lower half of the air box. All you have to do is turn and pull. If you can feel the lower half, their are some rubber bumpers that are keyed into some metal pieces that are mounted to the fender. Hard to expain, but when it finally pops out, you'll be like "Oooo okay".
Old 03-24-2004, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by dc17h21o4n

Thanks,

David
Try to turn the b*tch about 45 degrees counter-clockwise. By this you should free the right stud. Then just slide to the left.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:44 PM

Thanks for all your responses,

I was able to get the air box out yesterday utilizing the pull twist and yank approach.
I then replaced my starter, cleaned the throttlebody, and put in my popcharger intake in. After driving around today I do notice smoother throttle response, my cold sticky throttle dissapeared, and it has a nice intake growl. I am happy and this took me about an hour and a half working very slowly.