3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Another Newbie!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another Newbie!!

WZUP PEOPLES! I recently bought a 1992 GXE, it needs a tranny. But I only paid $400 for the car. I decided I would make it a project and slowly but surely get it tight. The stock radio wasnt working so I decided to put another deck in the other day and this one doesnt work either. Can anyone give me any ideas why, and any input into helping me make this Maxima tight would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Im izz sexay

Number one is the tranny. Best mod you can get for the moment.
Number two are clear corners.
Number three New speakers. Your HU probably works but the speakers in these car blows after a few years
Number Four- Cold air intake
Number Six - Warpspeed Y-pipe. Try and get into the group deal that might end up being started (GD section)
Number Seven - Stillen Body Kit
Number eight - Lightweight UDP
Number Nine - JWT ECU upgrade
Number Ten - Better Rims/tires.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:57 PM

Let's start a little more basic to help you with your problem. Good troubleshooting never hurts you. Do you have at least a test light to verify there is voltage to the head unit? If the head unit is known good, then there is a power problem. Blown speakers make some sound, just not good sound. A little more information would be needed. Obviously, if you have no power, you would need to start first by checking fuses and go from there. I will also assume you wired the unit correctly.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Im izz sexay

Do you have Bose. If so you have to bypass the speakers amps. All four.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by turdlett
Do you have Bose. If so you have to bypass the speakers amps. All four.
I do have the Bose system. How would I go about bypassing the amps?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bigdesel
I do have the Bose system. How would I go about bypassing the amps?
all you need is to get new wiring. forget all the amps cuz theyre no use. i just bought new speakers and replaced the bose speakers but left the amps there. the rear deck i wired through the rear seat's arm rest and in between the seat and its back down to the flooring. the front speakers i put into the stock box that has amplifier and drilled a new hole to put new wire thorugh it. i dint get a chance to redo the power source from battery so my reciever is hooked up to the backlight power wire on the bose reciever, so now i have to turn on small beam to get the power to the reciever.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:18 PM

Bigdesel, with all due respect, it sounds like you're in a little over your head with the stereo. However, there are other options. There is a bose box that can allow you to run a line level input to the bose system--for some, it's alright. You can bypass completely as mentioned above.

You can also buy a remanufactured bose head unit with cd from a number of repair shops. The guru for Bose is this guy:

www.carstereohelp.com

I'm always been pretty happy with the Bose system, as I have had no amp/speaker problems, and I'm not into volume like I used to be.

If you're in doubt, take it to an audio shop and let them do it before you attempt a hack job on the harness. . .
Old 03-25-2004, 11:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi

$400, nice, esp. if its rust free.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MrGone
Hi

$400, nice, esp. if its rust free.
Yup, No rust. Engine has 114,000. When I got it I had it taken straight to the shop. They said it was in real good shape. It passed the VA state inspection. I drove it home fine, and now it wont move in drive, it will in reverse. But I cant complain for $400. I will have it looking good within the next 6 months or so.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:48 AM

this is sad.

Originally Posted by turdlett
Number one is the tranny. Best mod you can get for the moment.
Number two are clear corners.
Number three New speakers. Your HU probably works but the speakers in these car blows after a few years
Number Four- Cold air intake
Number Six - Warpspeed Y-pipe. Try and get into the group deal that might end up being started (GD section)
Number Seven - Stillen Body Kit
Number eight - Lightweight UDP
Number Nine - JWT ECU upgrade
Number Ten - Better Rims/tires.
.. tranny isnt a mod, more of a repair
its sad that u say clear corners, and speakers before any real mods.
ef all mod.. just get the car running perfectly.. then (let the modding begin) start thinkin about adding stuff.. like a cai, suspention..exhaust..