3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

carbon buildup

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 11:03 AM

carbon buildup

Still trying to find out what's wrong with my Maxima. Do these stupid VE motors ever work right? Mine hasn't since I bought it and have replaced $100's in parts. Okay, enough venting for now. My question is, does anyone know what would cause carbon build up on just the front three passages on the lower plenum? When I replaced my KS a few months back I noticed there was NO buildup on the rear three passages going into the motor, but there was a considerable amount of carbon buildup on the front three passages. What could cause this? I wish I would have taken pics, but I didn't have a camera. There was a considerable difference between the two though. My oil cap also leaks oil onto the valve cover sometimes too. I did change the PCV valve a while ago and haven't noticed any difference with that. I'm ready to ditch this stupid car and buy a more reliable car like a Honda or something. I'm just so dissapointed that there are so many of these VE motors with these "Mystery" hesitation problems that don't seem to ever get fixed. What good is a motor with 190 hp and 190 ft/lbs of tq. if the motor never runs like it should? I am open to suggestions or any help anyone is willing to give me.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

How do the front plugs look? Same? Was there any way for you to look down in there to see how the intake valves look? ie.. see if there was alot of oily sludge on the stems? Leaky stem seals on the front bank of intake valves "might"cause this
Old 03-24-2004, 11:57 AM

I also changed the plugs at that time and they were not oily or anything. I am going to pull the plugs tomorrow and check each one to see if there is any sludge or anything. The car doesn't burn any oil at all and stays really clean between oil changes, don't know if this info helps at all or not. I noticed the front VTC plug was corroded today, and I don't know what to do about that. Thinking about finding a file to get rid of the corrosion and then putting dialectric grease in there. How about exhaust problems? I know the studs were replaced by the previous owner. Maybe it was getting too hot because of the leak? I also want to check the gasket to see if they maybe put it on wrong and it is blocking the exhaust flow. I will probably wait until I get my y-pipe and cat from the group deal. Do you think either of these might cause that?
Old 03-24-2004, 07:53 PM

group deal for a cat were ???
Old 03-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my VE runs like a champ

im not sure whats causing your problem but my jdm didnt have any carbon biuld up in the intake maniphold

and i dont think theres any way to put the gasket on wrong to restric flow so i wouldnt worry about that
Old 03-24-2004, 08:35 PM

thanks subs1000w. I wasn't sure, just a hunch, maybe it is fuel flow to the front three cylinders. I am waiting for my fuel pressure gauge to come in so I will know if that is the problem.
Icepik, there is a group deal for warpspeed y-pipes and cats for $245 shipped if you buy them together or $160 for the y-pipe alone shipped and $85 for the cat alone plus like $8 shipping if you just buy the cat.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=295028
I will PM you with this info just to make sure you get it.
BTW-On my way home I stuck the 470 resistor in my max for the last five minutes of my drive and it runs perfectly with it in. These motors kick butt if they are running right, but mine doesn't run right even with a new knock sensor and harness. Bummer!
Old 03-24-2004, 08:56 PM

okay, now another question, since I KNOW I have that buildup, what is the most effective way to get rid of it? I read a post a while back about seafoam and putting water thru a vacuum hose and that kind of stuff, but what would be the best thing for this? BTW-I went to a shop and they put BG cleaner through it which is supposed to clean all of this stuff out really effectively. That might have done it for me but it wouldn't hurt to do a little extra ya know.