3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cold Air Intake on ebay, is this a good product?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 12:07 AM

Cold Air Intake on ebay, is this a good product?

I ran into this on ebay, my question is do you think this will fit and does it look like good quality. I have a K&N airfilter would it still work on this, if i got this i wouldn't want to use the cheap air filter it comes with. Also how hard is it to install a CAI, does anyone have a template, because i don't know where or what to cut, i'll just have my mechanic do it. So is this worth 57.90 shipped. Any advice given is much appreciated, thanx. Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2468870993
Old 03-26-2004, 04:09 AM
Loved by MrGone longtime

You need to talk to Mike (awsm66). He bought his off ebay a little while ago. Just start looking back at all the threads for his post.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:59 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by 3rdgenmaxima
I ran into this on ebay, my question is do you think this will fit and does it look like good quality. I have a K&N airfilter would it still work on this, if i got this i wouldn't want to use the cheap air filter it comes with. Also how hard is it to install a CAI, does anyone have a template, because i don't know where or what to cut, i'll just have my mechanic do it. So is this worth 57.90 shipped. Any advice given is much appreciated, thanx. Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2468870993

yes it will fit an VE (92-94) SE, yes its worth it and yes someone has a template. I installed mine by using the WSP template and it was way off so I had to do some more cutting. Thats not a big deal since I can repair the areal I cut (had rust there from the battery anyway). A friend of mine got it after me and I told him how and where to put the hole. He made a template for me and is supposed to scan it this weekend. If for some reason he does not get to I can still explain how to do it if you get it. Just email me (click my name in my sig.) when or if you get it and I will let you know if I have the template or I will tell you where to cut. check my cardomain page (click www below my post or my maxima page link in my sig) and I have pics on page 5. Dont worry you dont have to take the fender off. Mine was already off because of body work. Its not too hard to install but you do have to take the inner fender liner out.

My friend tried to use his K&N but it didnt work. I dont know if he had a pop charger (it has a huge hole for the K&N) or what (forgot to ask). I would think a 3" K&N filter will work though since the piping for the CAI is 3".

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:30 AM

Jeez, another eBay shipping ripoff! $20.95? You could probably ship that for under $10 easy USPS. Grrrrrr....
Old 03-26-2004, 10:25 AM

I ordered this kit as well, but i'm only using the first pipe as i haven't yet trimmed a hole for the cold air part. First thing i noticed with mine was the filter, its got a cheap looking screen door type cover on the cone end of it. Anything can get through it, makes me nervous. On top of that, the first pipe that attaches closest to the throttle body has many small burs on the inside from the ports for the vacuum hoses. The burs catch the air at just the right throttle position and whistle pretty loud. Annoying. Lastly, the blue rubber fittings fit perfectly around each section of pipe and the provided template, but are the wrong size for the actual throttle body. They're too large, and almost need to be folded over or cinched down crazy hard to keep them from leaking.

Other than that, and even with my 1/2 CAI setup, there is a noticeable difference in the top end. Accelerates better on the highway for those dramatic downshift-passes, and theres a new growl thats just on the border of sporty and obnoxious. That's prolly the crappy provided filter : )
Old 03-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

mine didnt have that cheap filter like you are talking about (there is no way I would put a filter with an open end and only mesh on my car). It also didnt have any burs. I am a perfectionist and I checked this thing for anything out of the ordinary...dents scratches...burs whatever...I have very little I find wrong with it. Maybe you got a bad one or something. My filter looks just like a K&N. Metal end with a cotton filliment and wire over that to protect it. For the money you cant beat it.

Its also normal with the rubber coupler deal. They dont make a stepped down coupler for you to use and since the TB is smaller than the rest thats just how it is. I didnt have a problem and it didnt pinch the connector or anything. It was a very clean install for me. Check my page for pics.

Yes shipping is expensive but where else are you going to get a VE CAI for less than $60 shipped? Thats just how some make their money. They sell it really cheap so you buy theirs over someone elses but you wind up paying the same price because their shipping is so high. At least they advertise it and you can choose to get it or not instead of just hitting you with it after you buy the thing.

Oh and I am not making a sales pitch for them or anything I just am stating my opinion. I think its a heck of a deal for under $60. The next closest thing is over $200 from other places and they arent pretty shiny aluminum LOL.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:43 PM

I totally agree with you Mike. I think it is pretty nice for the money or for even twice that amount!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 06:02 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

damn gotta get me one !