3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

NOOB questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:27 PM

NOOB questions

hey guys i just bought a 92 maxima

but i am having some problems already
first of all my speedometer stays on 20kph when im stoped ..
but it still works ..
and the temp. guage always flickers with the signals and when i do anything electricaly .. ( like high beams and windows.)

anyone ever had this problem ???

and i dont know the code for the keypad on the handles how do i get that or change it ?? and what can it do ??,,...

anyways that just a few problems i am haveing please any help would be appreciated.

Joey
Old 03-27-2004, 08:31 PM

I don't know what a kilometer is.
You might want to check the connection for the temperature gauge on your motor. It should be by a coolant hose and be a single prong connector going into the motor. Check for corrosion, clean with a wire brush, put some dialectric grease on to resist corrosion.
No I have never had that problem.
Sorry, I know as much about the keypad as I do about kilometers, or why your speedo doesn't work well.
Sorry I don't know any more than this.
Enjoy the max.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:33 PM
mod or sell?

Check the grounds on the instrument cluster.
You'll need the master code to change your keypad code. The master code is on a gold(?) box under the passengers side dash.
That should help.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:16 PM

ok so how long is this master code on the gold box under the dash ???what does it start with ?? and how do i change the code after i get this master code??
and what kind of functions can i do using this keypad??

just lock and unlock ????

Thnks again

Joey
Old 03-28-2004, 04:31 PM

Okay if you are able to:

pull your passenger seat all the way back. Put your back where you feet should go and look under the glove box...as you look up look to your left you will see a gold color box with a sticker with a bunch of number lines on it. There will be one number line with a letter in front of 7 numbers. This number is your master code. Write it down or memorize it or something. Next you will need to get out of your car. Lock your doors, then you will go to the keypad and then press the “cl/st” button....it’s the first button on the left from the drivers side. After you press that you will hear a very annoying sound....during this time type in your new code...just as long as it isn’t close to the override and it isn’t all the same number...I used 4 numbers. Now do not press anything after you put your code in until the beeping stops....once the beeping has stopped enter your own code again and be able to unlock your doors open your trunk roll down your windows....if you have any problem message me or pm me on my aol.

if you are unable to get on your back you have to unscrew the glove box....but to save you time and effort just get on your back.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:46 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

so when does he type in the master code ?
Old 03-29-2004, 12:18 PM

ok....
DKRIS thank u so much for the info it works perfectly now but i still have the flickering problem and it feels like there is draining in the electricity .. i dunno what it could be
and do u kno whow i could fix the speedo???

and another problem (sorry) when i start my car sometimes the tranny doesnt really kick in (auto)
it feels like its really slipping or something i have to turn it off and on ( a couple times) to make it work properlly anyone ever had this problem if so how do i fix it .???
Old 03-29-2004, 03:36 PM

The tranny you might be in for a rebulid have it check out at at leat 2 places..

the flicking you might need to re wel the points oe put in a new light.

for the speedometer find the speed sensor Located near the oil filter it's a black cyl with wire coming out of it..

1st clean the connectors like un connect re connect check.

2nd take a rubber hammer and hit the top of the speed sensor (this is what worked for me) the tranny oil pushes up the seal of the sensor to make it not work right. you have to hit it down once you do hit is down nice and make sure it's flush...... and if that doesn't work check to see if your connector on the cluster is pushed in all the way in and if not either tis' something i dont know or...........i hate to say it.......you need a new $60 speed senor
Old 03-29-2004, 03:40 PM

oh and dont apologize for asking for help if you need live help catch me at

dkrissm42 on aim

kris2442@hotmail.com for msn