3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Where to get nock sensor (quick)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:43 AM

Where to get nock sensor (quick)

I need a new nock sensor for the 92SE VEmotor, anyone know where to get one at a decent price and can ship it out QUICK? Also, what is the regular price at Nissan dealer, I get 25% off, so if Nissan only sells it for like 20% more than someplace else, I go there.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Way out West

Since a knock sensor isn't a terribly expensive part, you will probably be better off taking your 25 percent discount and getting it right away.

Otherwise, you will have to pay someone like Internetautomart or Jerry Rome Nissan to ship it next day, which will probably add about $15 to the price.

You could use a telephone (or a web search) and call around and see what's cheaper.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:57 AM

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Category_Code=

I was just looking at getting the harness myself. I would definitely get the kit because otherwise you may do the whole job and the harness may go out on you, a common problem with these motors, something to do with corrosion. Just make sure they give you the right harness because I did the whole job by using a harness they sent me that didn't fit without modifications, and now I have to do the job over again.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by rosamax
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Category_Code=

I was just looking at getting the harness myself. I would definitely get the kit because otherwise you may do the whole job and the harness may go out on you, a common problem with these motors, something to do with corrosion. Just make sure they give you the right harness because I did the whole job by using a harness they sent me that didn't fit without modifications, and now I have to do the job over again.
First off, yes, the harness is coroded through, no doubt gonna change that. But what do you mean they sent you a harness that didnt fit without modification? It sais genuine parts, I would assume it should be a direct fit or are you saying you purchased the stuff elsewere before?
Old 03-28-2004, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Damonb
First off, yes, the harness is coroded through, no doubt gonna change that. But what do you mean they sent you a harness that didnt fit without modification? It sais genuine parts, I would assume it should be a direct fit or are you saying you purchased the stuff elsewere before?
I ordered the kit directly from courtesy parts and they sent me the knock sensor and the harness, but the harness was a little shorter than the original and the notch on top of the sensor did not line up with the notch in the harness connector. So I called a nissan tech from a dealership and they told me to shave the notch off of the sensor and just put it on anyway. I think that is why it still throws a KS code. Hindsight is 20/20 but I don't think I'll ever do something like that again. I was kind of in a rush to get it done though and didn't want to wait for the correct part, and I put too much trust in a Nissan TECH guy.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by rosamax
I ordered the kit directly from courtesy parts and they sent me the knock sensor and the harness, but the harness was a little shorter than the original and the notch on top of the sensor did not line up with the notch in the harness connector. So I called a nissan tech from a dealership and they told me to shave the notch off of the sensor and just put it on anyway. I think that is why it still throws a KS code. Hindsight is 20/20 but I don't think I'll ever do something like that again. I was kind of in a rush to get it done though and didn't want to wait for the correct part, and I put too much trust in a Nissan TECH guy.
That wouldnt cause the sensor to not work right, you either got the wrong sensor, or the pin in the new harness was hooked up to the wrong side of the sensor. Those connections are "keyed" so you dont do that. Match up your old parts with your new ones, the key on the stock part is centered on the top, and the pin that is used is the one on the left when viewing the sensor from the connector side.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:44 PM

Sorry, I threw away the old parts a few months back when I did the job. All I know is that the computer is still throwing a KS code, but the KS when tested from the harness is .538 M which is within specs to my knowledge. When i use a 470ohm resistor to bypass the harness and KS, the car runs perfectly. I am told that if the computer throws the KS code that it means the KS or harness is bad, is this true? I may even be willing just to buy the parts all together again just to get rid of this headache.