3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

***major Electrical Problem, Please Help***

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:55 PM

***major Electrical Problem, Please Help***

Ok, so today we installed a new system in my brothers max, and after we get everything hooked up, turn the car on... system works fine BUT

The power windows will not roll up. they show no activity at all. We checked all the fuses. The only thing I can fathom happened is that all 4 motors burned out somehow? We disconnected the system and still nothing. The power door locks, the lights, the sunroof... everything else works flawless. We checked the relays, the circuit breaker. We've been trying to figure this out for the past 3 hours and we are just dumbfounded as we hadn't even gone near any window wiring.

Side help. New system in the car, windows rolled down. What is the best way to go about trying to... make it... secure? Right now we're drawing straws to pick hours to stay up watching it.. sigh..
Old 03-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if the motors are still working (I'd guess they are), you can roll the windows up by putting power and ground across the 2 leads to the motor. Like most 2-way DC motors, you can put + on one wire and ground the other to go one way, reverse it to go the other
Check out my page on window regulator replacement for info on how to get the door panel off if you need it. There should be two big blue wires right by the regulator.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:24 PM

I think you would be okay leaving the windows down with the system in there. I wouldn't stay up and watch it or anything. What is your EXACT address again by the way?
Old 03-30-2004, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
if the motors are still working (I'd guess they are), you can roll the windows up by putting power and ground across the 2 leads to the motor. Like most 2-way DC motors, you can put + on one wire and ground the other to go one way, reverse it to go the other
Check out my page on window regulator replacement for info on how to get the door panel off if you need it. There should be two big blue wires right by the regulator.
Awesome, that worked... I'm gonna secure all windows this way tonight but what needs to be done next to fix the system for the future? What else should we check/replace? We can't seem to find anything in the Haynes manual on what else to troubleshoot besides "the fuses and circuit breaker." What would be our next step to run this little bug down. I've tested the 5 pin plug at the drivers side switch and it is hot & grounded that's what I'm using to roll all the windows up right now. Is there a relay somewhere in the car that might have burned out or the circuit break that is mentioned in the haynes book? Do you think it may have been the switch that burned out or could it be something else in between the switch and the motors?

Btw, thank you so much for you help, it's much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had similar problem. Power windows didint work. I had to replace all swich panel on the drivers side, becouse of the operating block under swich panel was burnt out.
Besides that was not only one malfunction of my car eletrical system (many apliances didnt work). And as I was told, it happened because of electrical shock.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok, test these wires at the large 5 wire connector going to the main switch
black - ground
white/red - constant power
solid white - power only when car is ON

if those are all good, then I think you'll need to replace the main switch
You can test the other 3 switches by putting a jumper across the main switch on the white/red wire and the solid white wire of the other harness (with 10 spots and smaller wires). This will give them power and you should be able to roll the windows up/down at the individual door switches now (pass and both rears). This simulates the window lock switch being 'off'. Without 12V on this line, the other switches will not operate so if the main switch isn't working, it may not give 12V to those switches and then they cant work either.

You may want to open up the switch and take a quick look at it. I was messing around with mine a long time ago and there was a very obvious trace that had been burned and I was able to fix it with some scrap wire.