3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

possibly fixed stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Way out West

possibly fixed stalling problem

MrGone and I have been working on my stalling problem for what seems like forever now. Over months I have collected or borrowed an assortment of used VE parts and tried them. MAF, ECU, coil packs, Cam Position Sensor, throttle sensor, etc.

Previously, I could not get the car over about 3500-4000 rpm withought stalling/bucking, etc. It seems to be a combination of coil packs along with wrong spark plugs. I had installed copper V power plugs, instead of the stock platinums. Maybe the coppers had a little more resistance in them...I don't know. I can't explain that stuff, it just works now.

I think my old original coil packs are just not up to the different plugs. When I put in the plugs that the car is supposed to come with, I did not have any stalling or bucking. I am trying to round up some different coil packs to see if I can isolate the problem. I can't afford a full set of new ones, so I have to scrounge around with used ones. I most definitely think it is the coil packs, since they are not accepting the plugs that have just slightly more resistance. I also noticed with a different ECU (borrowed MrGone's auto one), that my car seemed to have more power, so there could be a link there, but I am waiting on a spare ECU for mine to see if that helps).

If you can afford all new coil packs, get them. I definitely think this is the source of the problem, even if they aren't cracked.

I finally got it to stop stalling and here is the results:

Maxima video

(please Right Click, "save as")

No stalling at all, just watch the vid.

Anyway, this is the best that I could do. The car has been stalling for a long time and to be able to drive it without that happening is a relief.