3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Speakers...in the Headrests?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 02:55 PM

Speakers...in the Headrests?

I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days...I plan on buying 6.5" speaker pods from James92se, but then have no use for the 4" speakers I'm using now, I've come to the conclusion that I could fit them in the headrests (facing the backseat...or the front?), but wiring and grilles would be my only problems...any suggestions/comments.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:04 PM
1993 SE

THAT idea is interesting! I like the way you think...come to think of it I think that could work without too much trouble. But as far as looks though, it might look LOL! Maybe on the seat right under the headrest?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:36 PM

Well I figured it'd look good with a grille, but not many smaller speakers that size come with a grille, and it may be uncomfortable facing the front if you ever decide you lay your head back...how would I wire these...would I need a crossover?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

are you trying to go deaf?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:26 PM

maybe you can put them under the rear seats. or maybe put it under dash or under front seats. just a thought
Old 04-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

They used to put speakers in the headrest of the old pontiac fieros. I got a set of seats from a friend of mine (after she wrecked the car) and put them in my Chevelle one time. Hooked them up too. It didnt sound too bad but then again it was right there at your head.

You dont have to have grilles or anything. I never took them apart but know that there were 2 in each headrest...not sure what size they were though. It had like little perferated holes in the fabric for them.

I might see if I can dig them up if I get a chance some time this week. I cant remember what I did with them when I took them out and put my re-covered factory buckets back in.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

oh and as a side note...dont put them under your seat. I do know that the headrest speakers sounded better than the speakers I had under the seat. I didnt want to cut on my door panel or dash and this was 12 or 13 years ago before people started making kick panels(or before I knew about them)...besides if it didnt make the car go fast (a new cam, manifold, carb...) I didnt care about it too much.

That would be your best bet btw...have some kick panels built...that will give you the best sound.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:44 PM

Well took some pics of my headrest with the factory 4" Bose speaker, proportionally it looks pretty good.

Anyone know of anywhere to order a generic (all black/perforated?) grille similiar to the Bose grilles in the car without the name on them for a 4" speaker?
awsm66, I'd rather have grilles for looks and it might be a little hard to slide a speaker in there without cutting the fabric on the headrest.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by DMad8724
Well took some pics of my headrest with the factory 4" Bose speaker, proportionally it looks pretty good.

Anyone know of anywhere to order a generic (all black/perforated?) grille similiar to the Bose grilles in the car without the name on them for a 4" speaker?
awsm66, I'd rather have grilles for looks and it might be a little hard to slide a speaker in there without cutting the fabric on the headrest.

it would be too hard (uncomfortable) and look like crap I would think...I mean a big round speaker grille in your headrest wouldnt win you any shows LOL.

Anyway the headrest is the easiest thing to take off of just about any interior part.

Just take the couple of screws off and pull the fabric right off...simple as that (I did it when I put my Katzkin leather in). THen you will cut the foam out for the speaker and put it in. It will be stealth (no ugly grille) and it will play fine through the fabric.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

oh and btw they were not facing backward in the fiero seats either...they were facing forward. I dont think you would get much sound out of it facing backwark. You would have the cone noise right behind you instead of the normal sound...of course we are talking about putting speakers in a headrest so sound quality is not #1 on the list anyway.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:54 PM

I took off the plastic thing after the 2 screws, and it seemed to me I couldn't pull the fabric off without ripping a corner or something.

awsm66 -- on a 2-way speaker? These are 4"s not tweeters...
Old 04-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I took off the plastic thing after the 2 screws, and it seemed to me I couldn't pull the fabric off without ripping a corner or something.

awsm66 -- on a 2-way speaker? These are 4"s not tweeters...

I pulled them off with no problems...it wasnt hard at all.

They were 2 speakers...a mid and tweet (I think...cant remember) but they were small. Maybe 3" or something....heck I dont know maybe they were just tweets...I just dont think so because thats all I had hooked up at one time.

Here is a pic of the seats like I had (got it from the first fiero site on cardomain I saw so I dont know the guy).
Old 04-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Blahhhh! Those bose speakers are crappy paper junk thats not even worth the space in a trash can...

If you can't remove the headrest fabric without ripping it, I'd try to find a matching fabric and get a set of good two way's (coaxials),then scrap the fabric and mount em on the headrest and put new fabric over em... It would be clean looking AND sound good... Just my .02 cents..
Old 04-12-2004, 07:10 PM

Got the headrest covers off...don't worry TSoprano I'm not using those crappy Bose speakers...I found some screws that would help mount these better...How would I wire these into my existing System?? Will I have to substiture a pair of speakers to use these?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
besides if it didnt make the car go fast (a new cam, manifold, carb...) I didnt care about it too much.

(I wouldn't even consider trying to use the factory bose for this project, and if you need an amp, I have a MTX 4122 I'd like to sell ).
Old 04-12-2004, 07:35 PM

I'M NOT USING THE FACTORY BOSE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM!
The only reason I have it in the picture is to show the 4" size in proportion to the headrest.
Will I need an amp to add these speakers into my system?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:11 PM

I'M NOT USING THE FACTORY BOSE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM!
The only reason I have it in the picture is to show the 4" size in proportion to the headrest.
Will I need an amp to add these speakers into my system?
If your running your front and rears off of your headunit it might not be a bad idea to look into a nice 4 channel amp to run the front and headrest speakers and run the backs off the headunit...

I have an Alpine MRP-F256 4/3/2 channel (35x4 i think) that will fit under the front seat if your interested...

keep us updated on how it turns out... I'm getting ready to install my boston 6.5 pro's up front and I have 2 mb quart 4's that I don't have a place for... the headrests might make for a nice place to put em..
Old 04-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Way out West

You know, you might want to do a little searching on Miata forums. I think some years of Miata have speakers in the headrest. There is a lady at work that has them, but I have no idea if it came that way or she ordered it aftermarket.

Another thing to consider is you have to find a way to run the wires. They are going to be visible, since the seats are solid like the Fiero ones. I guess you could just slide them all the way down, so that you coudn't really see the wires.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE

Another thing to consider is you have to find a way to run the wires. They are going to be visible, since the seats are solid like the Fiero ones. I guess you could just slide them all the way down, so that you coudn't really see the wires.
On my max the headrest posts are hollow... Just run the wires up through the seat, then through the post, then you'd be good to go...
Old 04-13-2004, 03:28 AM

TSoprano...how much for the amp?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:41 PM

I'd take $40 + shipping(aprox. $12.51)... It's in very good condition.. And I'll guarentee it not D.O.A.!! I have it sitting around cause I used to be a big Alpine fan but then I switched to Kenwood..

BTW I goofed on the specs.. It's 25x4 @ 4 ohms and 35x4 @ 2 ohms.. 4/3/ or 2 channel also.. Still plenty to run 4 front speakers and much cleaner then pyramid or some other overrated amps..

Here's a link to the spec sheet..
http://www.alpine.com.au/downloads/w...6+MRP-F257.PDF

Here's a pic of the amp..
Old 04-13-2004, 12:53 PM

hey genius..how about in the rear door panels? headrests? uh uh.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:57 PM

Hey thanks for making yourself look stupid!
This is obviously heading somewhere, if you don't like it then don't post...you're not helping anybody by implying it's a stupid idea.

TSoprano...I'll take it! Depending on how long it's for sale...It might take me a couple weeks to come up with $52 or so. But if you can hold it that'd be great.
Can you confirm it fits under the front seat...is this where you had it? Any idea if it'd fit under the passenger seat...what about wiring for it, will you be keeping that?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:36 PM

This is obviously heading somewhere, if you don't like it then don't post...you're not helping anybody by implying it's a stupid idea.

TSoprano...I'll take it! Depending on how long it's for sale...It might take me a couple weeks to come up with $52 or so. But if you can hold it that'd be great.
Can you confirm it fits under the front seat...is this where you had it? Any idea if it'd fit under the passenger seat...what about wiring for it, will you be keeping that?
I'm in no hurry to get rid of it..

Yes it fits nicely under either the driver or passenger seat. Doesn't stick out or anything, you'll never know it's there (neither will anybody else).

I can throw in a set of rca's if you need em but wiring harness goes with it.. You'll need that to hook up your speakers..

The only thing I don't have is the speaker level input connector.. You should have at least one rca output on your headunit so you can just use the rca's... It's a cleaner signal then speaker level anyway..
Old 04-13-2004, 01:45 PM

If I use the rca output on my headunit...will I ever be able to put in subs? Anyway, please hold that amp for me...I'm gonna start cutting the headrests soon!

Is there some kind of converter I can get to go from speaker wire to rca? I'm guessing there is somewhere...I'll research tonight. So if I can use my speaker wire as the input to the amp...will I just take the front speaker out, + and -, from the HU and run it into the amp, then run 4 sets of speaker wires to the front and headrest speakers from the amp?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:52 PM

lol. "implying it's a stupid idea?" enlighten me how i made that inference...

as a side note and an observation i've made, people are so eager about insulting and attacking others on here...no idea why. talk about the org being a "family" as well as a group of enthusiasts that love berating each other. eesh.

and to let you know how "stupid" i am, i'll help you out. for a converter, look for a line-out converter (used for connecting a h/u without rcas to an amp) reverse the genders and that should do it. alternatively, you could run them directly to the amp without rcas IF the amp has an input for highs. but i won't advise it. Split your current Rca outputs on your h/u to two or more so you have them when you're ready to add a sub. there are many ways to do this.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:09 PM

"lol. "implying it's a stupid idea?" enlighten me how i made that inference..."

As you wish...
"hey genius..how about in the rear door panels? headrests? uh uh."

1) "hey genius" -- now I'm a genius (obviously sarcastic) for having a creative idea? I apologize.
2) rear door panels -- already thought about that, but who's gonna hear that when the seats back most of the way and passengers feet are in the way...good thinking.
3) "headrests? uh uh." -- implies you wouldn't do this idea, implying that your opinion of the idea is stupid.

"as a side note and an observation i've made, people are so eager about
insulting and attacking others on here...no idea why."
--Don't start fights and they're won't be any.

"and to let you know how "stupid" i am, i'll help you out."
--I didn't thank you for being stupid...only for looking stupid.

By the way thanks for the help with the converter options.
TSoprano can you show me a picture of the input/output side of the amp?
Old 04-13-2004, 02:17 PM

DMad:

the rear door panels arent a bad idea...it would be similar to the front door panels...how the speaker is by your feet...im not knocking your idea...the headrest speaker position could be a good spot and it could be bad...you have to think if you are going to get annoyed with the music coming from right behind your head...it also might make the music coming from the rest of the speakers almost distorted since you are so close to these speakers...this is just my opinion...ive thought about places to mount 4 other speakers in my max..and i still havent decided yet...if you go along with the headrest idea and it sounds good..i might think about doin this with 2 of my other speakers
Old 04-13-2004, 02:17 PM

If I use the rca output on my headunit...will I ever be able to put in subs? Anyway, please hold that amp for me...I'm gonna start cutting the headrests soon!

Is there some kind of converter I can get to go from speaker wire to rca? I'm guessing there is somewhere...I'll research tonight. So if I can use my speaker wire as the input to the amp...will I just take the front speaker out, + and -, from the HU and run it into the amp, then run 4 sets of speaker wires to the front and headrest speakers from the amp?

Yea you'll be able to add another amp later if you want.. They make Y splitters to split the signal. You could split it @ the headunit or the amp and then run another rca to the trunk for a sub amp later or whatever..

They make speaker level to rca convertors also..
Old 04-13-2004, 02:31 PM

But if I take the rca signal from the HU to the amp...won't that give the amp a rear speaker signal? I'm not sure if I know what I'm talking about...but won't I have to use a LOC so I can use the front speaker line out to go to the amp to get the correct signal.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by white90se
DMad:

the rear door panels arent a bad idea...it would be similar to the front door panels...how the speaker is by your feet...im not knocking your idea...the headrest speaker position could be a good spot and it could be bad...you have to think if you are going to get annoyed with the music coming from right behind your head...it also might make the music coming from the rest of the speakers almost distorted since you are so close to these speakers...this is just my opinion...ive thought about places to mount 4 other speakers in my max..and i still havent decided yet...if you go along with the headrest idea and it sounds good..i might think about doin this with 2 of my other speakers
Hey thats cool you from Scranton too.. I'm actually in ****son city...

Anyways I've been thinking about making some custom kick panels out of fiberglass or something.. Like these, http://www.audio-n-more.com/Qlogic/kick_panels.shtml...

I'm no expert by any means but I've had enough systems to know that ideally you want the soundstage in front on you rather then behind you.. The rear door panels are a good spot if you wanna give your rear passengers some good tunes but as the one investing all the money and time in a system, I base it all around the driver's listening pleasure..

Screw the back seat drivers if they don't like it they can GTF out and walk...lol

As for the headrest idea.. It might take some tweeking of the amps output levels to make it sound good but it's not a totally off the wall idea at all... Look at some competition vehicles and you'll see speakers in any place they can get em to fit...

Oh yea I'll upload some more pics for ya D
Old 04-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

DMad8724...you have way to thin a skin man. This is what the 2nd or third time you have jumped on someone for having a different opinion or not liking what you are doing. My suggestion is to get a thicker skin or dont share with us what some may consider stupid or different.

Lophix's coments were not out of line and shouldnt have infered your wrath.

Settle down some man we are all here to help and give our opinions.

If you keep your current attitude it will not be long before people will not help you at all. I know of a couple right now that will not give you the time of day from some of your other posts...and those are very knowledgable people that you might need info from later on.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:55 PM

But if I take the rca signal from the HU to the amp...won't that give the amp a rear speaker signal? I'm not sure if I know what I'm talking about...but won't I have to use a LOC so I can use the front speaker line out to go to the amp to get the correct signal.
If it's a rear output on the H.U. then yea that will give you a rear signal.. Then you'd be better off using the convertors.. Just make sure you get em from somewhere you can take em back to (not ebay!).. Sometimes they are crap and add noise to your system...

Here's some more pics D..

[img]htp://codmaps.net/images/6c_1.jpg[/img]
Old 04-13-2004, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
DMad8724...you have way to thin a skin man. This is what the 2nd or third time you have jumped on someone for having a different opinion or not liking what you are doing. My suggestion is to get a thicker skin or dont share with us what some may consider stupid or different.

Lophix's coments were not out of line and shouldnt have infered your wrath.

Settle down some man we are all here to help and give our opinions.

If you keep your current attitude it will not be long before people will not help you at all. I know of a couple right now that will not give you the time of day from some of your other posts...and those are very knowledgable people that you might need info from later on.
"Lophix's coments were not out of line and shouldnt have infered your wrath."

Haha! My wrath muhuhahaha...I apologize Lophix, thanks for the help!
Old 04-13-2004, 03:08 PM

Heh, just think of all the harrassment that must have insued when the first guy to put LCD's in the back of his headrests posted about it...
Old 04-13-2004, 03:12 PM

New thought: I often take my headrests off to lay the seats back all the way (don't ask). Are there snap-together speaker wire crimps to connect sets of speaker wire...I figure I'd have a 4-5 inch set of speaker wire coming from the speaker, ending underneath the headrest. I'd then connect that with an easily removable crimp/connection to the speaker wire within the seat, that way I can still easily remove the headrest by disconnecting the wires and removing the headrests. Do they make something like this?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

What kind of head unit do you have. Unless its a cheap one it should have more than one RCA out. Most have at least 2 and several have 3 (front, rear, sub).

check the back and see what you have before you bother with anything else.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:17 PM

I have a Pioneer DEH-1500, very cheap, $130 to be exact. I know it only has one set of RCA outputs, I was in there the other day rewiring my back speakers (which sound much better by the way), so they wouldn't be running on that crappy Bose wiring. If I only have one set will it be a sub output signal?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:24 PM

That's true about the rear seat riders not really needing much...but that's subjective. generally, it's all about the fronts...especially the driver. but from what i've seen so far concerning soundstage, if that's what you really want to achieve, the headrest wont be a really good position for the simple fact that you will be getting one channel a lot more than any...that is, if you run the left channel, it will be pre-dominantly the left channel you will get without hearing much, if any, of the right. i've seen some people place the center speaker in/on the dash, speakers in the lower kick panels and a-pillars, as well as the center b-pillars right beside the headrests. you then get equality by turning down the left channel and turning up the right channel so you can recieve equally on both sides.....at least those are my thoughts on getting a pretty good balance...but again, i don't know jack..

Originally Posted by TSoprano

I'm no expert by any means but I've had enough systems to know that ideally you want the soundstage in front on you rather then behind you.. The rear door panels are a good spot if you wanna give your rear passengers some good tunes but as the one investing all the money and time in a system, I base it all around the driver's listening pleasure..

Screw the back seat drivers if they don't like it they can GTF out and walk...lol

As for the headrest idea.. It might take some tweeking of the amps output levels to make it sound good but it's not a totally off the wall idea at all... Look at some competition vehicles and you'll see speakers in any place they can get em to fit...

Oh yea I'll upload some more pics for ya D
Old 04-13-2004, 03:29 PM

I have a Pioneer DEH-1500, very cheap, $130 to be exact. I know it only has one set of RCA outputs, I was in there the other day rewiring my back speakers (which sound much better by the way), so they wouldn't be running on that crappy Bose wiring. If I only have one set will it be a sub output signal?

It's probably not a sub output..

Quick Reply: Speakers...in the Headrests?