3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Custom Maxima Short Shift???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:21 AM

Custom Maxima Short Shift???

I just recieved my Short Shifter from CUSTOM MAXIMA for my 92 SE Max... Im looking for replys as to whether its any good or not... It was only like $80 versus Stillen's for $240... Anybody got one or know anythign about it and if its any good, or should I send it back and buy Stillen's??? Thanks!!!
-Ben
Old 04-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stillen is more expensive which means that it is better
Old 04-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by MAXMYZD
I just recieved my Short Shifter from CUSTOM MAXIMA for my 92 SE Max... Im looking for replys as to whether its any good or not... It was only like $80 versus Stillen's for $240... Anybody got one or know anythign about it and if its any good, or should I send it back and buy Stillen's??? Thanks!!!
-Ben

I have the "CustomMaxima" STS (it's nothing more than a Pacesetter re-boxed). For the money (compared to a Stillen) I think it does a pretty good job. The throws are stiff, but not unbearably so, and they are shorter (which is nice). The rod length is shorter too, which I like since the stock rod was too big for my tastes. If you demand a smooth shift, buy the Stillen.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:25 AM

I got the short shifter from Custommaxima.com. I liked it for the price. A lot shorter shifting and shorter length. Overall I think it was a good mod for the money.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i believe custom maxima is selling something other than pacesetter now (unless pacesetter changed their name). this new one is a lot like the pacesetter in the picture but has a few differences. on the pacesetter sts i got there are 2 sets of threads (for some reason that I can't figure out) and my sts is chrome-ish. the one that custom maxima now sells is black and doesn't have the extra threads. also, this new one will adjust up to a 60% shorter throw whereas the pacesetter is supposed to go to 80%. more than likely the quality will be just like pacesetters (which imo isn't all that great). it will probably shift the same as the pacesetter but at the maximum setting the throw won't be as short however it won't be as hard to shift compared to the pacesetter. might be worth a try.

i believe the new sts is made by custom enterprises or something like that. i remember seeing those on custom maxima's site the other day.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by mtcookson
i believe custom maxima is selling something other than pacesetter now (unless pacesetter changed their name). this new one is a lot like the pacesetter in the picture but has a few differences. on the pacesetter sts i got there are 2 sets of threads (for some reason that I can't figure out) and my sts is chrome-ish. the one that custom maxima now sells is black and doesn't have the extra threads. also, this new one will adjust up to a 60% shorter throw whereas the pacesetter is supposed to go to 80%. more than likely the quality will be just like pacesetters (which imo isn't all that great). it will probably shift the same as the pacesetter but at the maximum setting the throw won't be as short however it won't be as hard to shift compared to the pacesetter. might be worth a try.

i believe the new sts is made by custom enterprises or something like that. i remember seeing those on custom maxima's site the other day.
It could very well be. I ordered mine for X-mas and the webiste said it was a CM STS, when I got it the box said CM STS but the directions were Pacestter, and the kit contents were exactly the same as what the Pacesetter kit contains. My shifter rod was chromish. Maybe I got one during the transition period.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:06 PM

I have a stillen STS and love it, I've driven N34JZ's SMC and its day and night, he said it himself Plus I rather pay an extra $160.00 then to give any business to that scum bag of custom maxima, he could be giving it away for free and I still wouldn't go to him.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:31 AM

whats wrong w/ custom maxima.com????