6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE Transmission problems

just signed up trying to get more information. I've been reading post about transmission problems. I have a 6th gen Maxima that no matter cold or hot once you put it into Drive it bangs badly. When you accelerate it slips in first gear and when coming to a complete stop it feels as if something is dropping from underneath the car. The weird thing about this is the problem will go away for a couple days then come back. It wasn't doing it for about 4 months then recently came back about 2 weeks ago. Ive heard of people being able to fix these problems by either installing a transgo shift kit or upgrading / getting a new valve body. Anyone else have this problem or know what it may be or how to fix it?
Old 08-25-2015, 05:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The "banging" when you put it in gear, may be the fwd engine mount. Mine is doing that, and the rubber isolator has deteriorated, and the connecting bolt is going metal to metal. Get under your car and inspect the mount. It's aft of the radiator and centered in the middle of the engine/transaxle towards to bottom.
As far as your transaxle...IDK. I'm not very transaxle/transmission savvy. I just know that the banging should not be coming from your transaxle, and you're not leaving pieces in the street.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lakersallday24
just signed up trying to get more information. I've been reading post about transmission problems. I have a 6th gen Maxima that no matter cold or hot once you put it into Drive it bangs badly. When you accelerate it slips in first gear and when coming to a complete stop it feels as if something is dropping from underneath the car. The weird thing about this is the problem will go away for a couple days then come back. It wasn't doing it for about 4 months then recently came back about 2 weeks ago. Ive heard of people being able to fix these problems by either installing a transgo shift kit or upgrading / getting a new valve body. Anyone else have this problem or know what it may be or how to fix it?
https://maxima.org/forums/6th-genera...ssion-fix.html
Old 10-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lakersallday24, have u solved your trans problems? Just curious because i also have a 06 SE with 157000 miles. Its in the shop now over trans trouble. Started with the lag between Rev and Drive and the hard shifts. Now it stops pulling when the fluid reaches operating temp, like its in neutral.. Just wondering what u found out on yours. I appreciate any and all info your willing to share.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Jerkingi

I have an 04 maxima...its becoming a pain really love the car...1st it was jerking replaced bank1 camshaft w aftermarket from smythe automotive...then crankshaft from advanced auto...now car reads code that states I need vss...did not work input nor output....my CAR STILL HAS NO ACCELERATION AS IF TRANNY IS SHOT... ABS LIGHTS ARE ON BRAKE LIGHT IS AND SES... STARTS GREAT but wont drive anywhere.... A tread stated the vss code came up because its secondary to the abs speed sensor or wheel speed sensors... Speedo doesn't work either... Will changing or cleaning my wheel speed sensors fix my no go problem... I love how my car starts but hate how it will not drive.... As far as jerking goes... US MAXIMA LOVERS HAVE BEEN BAMBOOZLED W A PLASTIC TENSIONER GUIDE IN THE TRANNY IT WEARS DOWN AFTER SO LONG DROM THE CHAIN CIRCULATING AROUND IT
Old 03-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Strauss
I have an 04 maxima...its becoming a pain really love the car...1st it was jerking replaced bank1 camshaft w aftermarket from smythe automotive...then crankshaft from advanced auto...now car reads code that states I need vss...did not work input nor output....my CAR STILL HAS NO ACCELERATION AS IF TRANNY IS SHOT... ABS LIGHTS ARE ON BRAKE LIGHT IS AND SES... STARTS GREAT but wont drive anywhere.... A tread stated the vss code came up because its secondary to the abs speed sensor or wheel speed sensors... Speedo doesn't work either... Will changing or cleaning my wheel speed sensors fix my no go problem... I love how my car starts but hate how it will not drive.... As far as jerking goes... US MAXIMA LOVERS HAVE BEEN BAMBOOZLED W A PLASTIC TENSIONER GUIDE IN THE TRANNY IT WEARS DOWN AFTER SO LONG DROM THE CHAIN CIRCULATING AROUND IT
Your issue certainly revolves around a malfunctioning ABS unit. Have it scanned by a capable tool.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fixing problem

I would try your speed output sensor that should probably fix the problem
Old 03-17-2019, 05:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There are to camshaft sensors. One in front and one in the back. Both are easily changed. After changing the transmission, I still had the same problem. Replaced both camshaft sensors and transmission works like new.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:04 AM

the banging is coming from 1 if not all damaged motor mounts, the trans shifting issues to start with, check the condition and level of the fluid, if its brownish and low ya may wanna take it into a overhaul as its overheating and the clutches inside are burning the fluid, if its full and pinkish red than when was the filter and fluid last changed? if not sure and ya had car over 30,000 miles go ahead and change both the filter and fluid
Old 03-13-2020, 10:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just changed my tranny out for same issue

It’s still having the banging problem I got 87k on it. What’s the ultimate way to fix this? What’s the way my crap won’t break
Old 03-13-2020, 05:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

05 maxima shift problems

Originally Posted by jessemofojones@gmail.com
It’s still having the banging problem I got 87k on it. What’s the ultimate way to fix this? What’s the way my crap won’t break
here's my two cents. I just replaced my trans with 98,000 miles on it. Bought a reubilt one and still had shifting problems. A little research showed there a 4 sensors on the the car that affects the trans. Two are the ones on top. There is another on the bottom of the trans, and one on the drivers side. I replaced all of these and my car has been shifting great. If you look a on the drivers side about halfway up at the rear you will see it. Don't know if this will work for you, but I now have a spare transmission because I listened to 3 trans mechanics,
Old 03-13-2020, 06:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks bro imma let my mechanic know appreciate you
Old 04-01-2020, 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mickey05
here's my two cents. I just replaced my trans with 98,000 miles on it. Bought a reubilt one and still had shifting problems. A little research showed there a 4 sensors on the the car that affects the trans. Two are the ones on top. There is another on the bottom of the trans, and one on the drivers side. I replaced all of these and my car has been shifting great. If you look a on the drivers side about halfway up at the rear you will see it. Don't know if this will work for you, but I now have a spare transmission because I listened to 3 trans mechanics,

Do you happen to know the part number or name of the sensors?
Old 03-20-2024, 11:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 2006 nissan maxima will go in reverse but when I put it in drive it will go but won't shift