3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Another one bites the dust <long>

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 07:33 PM

Another one bites the dust <long>

Well, my “baby” was just totaled the other day. I was stopped on a busy road 30ft. past an intersection in Enfield, making a left turn with my directional on. As I was waiting for the traffic to clear, I happened to glance in my rear view mirror to see this huge chrome grill flying at me! Oh, $h!T!! I slammed the car in gear and was beginning to drop the clutch when the thing plowed into me! The truck knocked my car a good 10-15ft, popping the unused ashtray out of the dash and snapping my backrest over the back seat. I quickly recovered and pulled the car into a nearby lot. My car sustained heavy damage to the back end; the trunk was pressed almost to the back window and the trunk door was resting a few inches above the body. The back bumper was smashed & torn off, the spoiler was twisted up, and the spare tire well was crumpled up. BUT, the car still drove beautifully– just like it did before the accident. The back window didn’t break and ALL my brake lights and directionals worked!!! The cop couldn’t believe it.
The truck driver apparently didn’t see anyone at the intersection and ‘floored it’ to make the light. He made the light, but not my car. The truck was a brand new 2004 Kenworth oil truck – it didn’t even have the oil company’s logo on it yet. It sustained heavy damage to its front end; the 9” lower chrome bumper was folded under the truck, the area around the left headlight was crumpled (but not broken), and the entire hood was twisted out of alignment. So, at least my car put up a good fight! I was able to drive home and use my car for the next couple of weeks.
I was bummed every time I saw the back end of my car. The “totaled” value of my car was close to nothing, regardless of the fact that 1 week before the wreck, I dropped $700 on the car: new back brakes, replacing the stock struts with great Tokico’s, and swapping the stock ball joints and boots with some good “top-of-the-line” ones. In the past year, I’ve added a Warpspeed “B” pipe w/Magnaflow muffler, a Place Racing CAI, new rims & sneakers, and replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Anyway, I was able to keep the car and ended up giving it to my Bro who’s poor and needed a good car. As bad as the back of the car was, I still had 3 people approach me to offer to buy it!! It was a sweet ride.

And now the good news… I happened to fall upon a sick deal on a new ’04 Max! I didn’t think I could afford a new one and was leaning toward a 3.5 Altima or older Max when, out of nowhere, this Liquid Silver beauty popped into my life!
So far, I LOVE it!!

So, I’ll be seeing you 3rd gen’s later. The ride was great but I’ll be traveling more in the 6th gen forum now. Good luck with your ‘classics’ and enjoy the ride!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

I just glad you're okay! Sheesh.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Gosh, our cars are classics? well Im glad your ok. That max held up well.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Way out West

sorry to hear about your wreck. It's always a sad day when any Nissan goes down.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:02 AM

Wow, sorry to hear that man. Just be happy that the Maxima's are strong back there otherwise it wouldn't have been such a lucky ending...
Any parts from the car that you are willing to part with?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Seyath
I thought about selling some of the mods but my bro is so thrilled w/the car, I couldn't strip it. I do have the 17" summer rims, which have 4 month old 225/45 Z-rated Kumo's. They look and corner great, though I think they reduce throttle response just a bit. I'm unsure whether it's worth the packing & shipping cost.
The Front Strut Tower Brace, which was inexpensive and made a noticeable difference, was bought from ebay for around $50 (beware of cheaply made ones).
The entire exhaust was from Warpspeed (warpspeedperformance.com) and was one of the best investments I've ever made - if anyone is thinking about a new exhaust, check them out.

I thank everyone here for their sympathy. It was a loss, but my car laid down it's life for my safety. I was proud to own it and I'm proud to own its great grandkid.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Seyath
Wow, sorry to hear that man. Just be happy that the Maxima's are strong back there otherwise it wouldn't have been such a lucky ending...
I guess you didnt read that he gave it to his poor brother...

Brian
Old 04-21-2004, 09:08 AM

is your 6th gen a 6spd or auto
Old 04-21-2004, 10:30 AM

How much was the insurance company going to give you for the car?
Old 04-21-2004, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by PSYCHOMAX
I was proud to own it and I'm proud to own its great grandkid.
lol good line
Old 04-25-2004, 06:39 PM

My new Max is the 5-sp auto w/tiptronic. Some people claim these are actually quicker than the 6-speed manuals because of better gear ratios. All I know, besides the gear ratios, is that the car flies!! I still occasionally stomp on the clutch pedal that isn't there (old habits are hard to break) and the Tiptronic shift is NOT even close to a real standard (not as responsive or "absolute" in terms of complete control). But I find myself driving more reasonably because of the relaxed feel of a quiet automatic and the understanding that I don't have to prove the power of my car to anyone. One of the greatest things about the car is that I can either drive it like a maniac or just cruise along in style. :-)

The Kelly Blue ***** value of my car was around $3500. The books that the insurance co. uses averaged $2575. The agent told me I could send in receipts of the $700 car bill, but I wouldn't really get anything from it ("It's really not worth it."). I don't feel like going through the trouble of suing and I still get to keep the car so that ain't too bad.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Ford Only.

Sad to see another 3rd gen go down, just glad you are ok. Enjoy the new Nissan.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:57 PM

glad things are working out for ya!
enjoy the new maxipad and dont be a stranger