3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Feels like I got a problem with my air flow...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 02:42 AM

Feels like I got a problem with my air flow...

My 92 max seems to struggle when you first crank up the car. The car shakes, and you can hear it struggling trying to get air in. Last time my air flow meter completetly died while I was driving once so I replaced it with a used part (couldn't afford at the time a new one) now it seems like it wants to do it again.
Is there anyway so clean it out or fix the problem without buying a new part? Anyones help would be great. Thanks guys.

Roger
Old 04-22-2004, 04:45 AM

Are you sure that it's an air problem? If the car shakes when you start, it might be a fuel flow problem. However, if you are sure that it's an air flow problem, check your air filter, and check your intake manifold for leaks or loose bolts. Also, run down to the local diagnostics place and have them check out your MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. You may have a problem there.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:54 AM

I have a air intake, not a filter anymore though, but, i have cleaned that part a few times. but you said it might be the fuel, so i guess I could replace the fuel filter, its bout due anyways. now the intake manifold, im a rookie, where is that, what is that? i think its where it says 3000nissan v6, i check the hoses often enough, nothing wrong there. but i guess i can replace the fuel filter and see what happens. cause a new air flow meter runs $400 new, ouch. thanks
Old 04-22-2004, 05:51 AM

Don't replace anything until you've found out what the problem is. Too many mechanics just automatically replace things when they might not be the problem.

Okay, the intake manifold is, like you said, right on top of the engine. If you are looking at the engine, over on your right is the air cleaner assembly. This is where the air filter is. Follow that assembly to the engine. Where that connects to the engine is the intake manifold. Run the engine and listen for any hissing sounds. Those indicate vaccuum leaks or loose bolts on the intake manifold. If you don't see any loose bolts or hoses and hear no hissing sounds, the problem is either with your MAF sensor, O2 sensor, your fuel supply, or your ignition system.

The sensors
The sensors can be tested by a shop that has diagnosis equipment. I think most charge about $50 to hook up your car to the computer and find the problem.

The fuel system
A couple of questions: when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? A clogged fuel filter could be your culprit. However, so could clogged fuel injectors. If it isn't the air system or the sensors, the next thing I would do is to go buy some fuel injector cleaner at Autozone and run that through your system. If that doesn't do it, replace the fuel filter if it's been more than 30,000 miles since your last change.

The ignition system
A lot of times, stuttering or stalling motors are caused by bad electrical components. When was the last time you had a tune-up? A good tune-up includes new spark plugs, rotor button (on cars with a distributor- the SOHC engine), and new spark plug wires. You might want to check your distributor cap and plug wires for cracks. A 1987 Mercedes 420 SEL I owned was stuttering quite a bit, especially on acceleration, and I found that one of the plug wires had come loose and the cylinder wasn't firing. It was difficult to start as well.

Those are good starting points. Try them and see if your car improves. Keep us posted. Later
Old 04-22-2004, 08:05 AM

BTW lawnboy, i live in NC too and had no idea there is city here called GXE!