3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

AC Air conditioning fluid 94

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 06:00 AM

AC Air conditioning fluid 94

Hi,

I need to charge my AC on a 94 Maxima. What kind of fluid was originally used? Was it the kind you can't buy anymore? Can someone expain the re-charging process? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by billy bronco
Hi,

I need to charge my AC on a 94 Maxima. What kind of fluid was originally used? Was it the kind you can't buy anymore? Can someone expain the re-charging process? Thanks.

under the hood there should be a sticker tag that indicates what freon to use. if i'm not mistaken, it is R12, the kind that you have to have a license to buy.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:44 AM
rcy

Originally Posted by billy bronco
Hi,

If I'm not mistaken, 1993 up used R-134. You can still get R-12 (in the US anyway, not in Canada) but you need some sort of EPA license and it costs a left nut. For recharging, you could check www.aircondition.com Lots of good help there. Basically, you need air conditioning manifold gauges to make sure you don't overcharge/undercharge the system. If you're just topping up because it's slowly leaked out over the years, add to the low side port (this is important - if you add to the high side, the can might blow up). If you've completely lost your charge due to a big leak, you need to fix the leak/problem first, then pull a vacuum, then charge the system from the low side port using your gauges (don't forget to add the necessary oil if you've replaced a major component like the compressor/evaporator/drier-receiver). It sounds harder than it is, actually.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by rcy
If I'm not mistaken, 1993 up used R-134. You can still get R-12 (in the US anyway, not in Canada) but you need some sort of EPA license and it costs a left nut. For recharging, you could check www.aircondition.com Lots of good help there. Basically, you need air conditioning manifold gauges to make sure you don't overcharge/undercharge the system. If you're just topping up because it's slowly leaked out over the years, add to the low side port (this is important - if you add to the high side, the can might blow up). If you've completely lost your charge due to a big leak, you need to fix the leak/problem first, then pull a vacuum, then charge the system from the low side port using your gauges (don't forget to add the necessary oil if you've replaced a major component like the compressor/evaporator/drier-receiver). It sounds harder than it is, actually.
I think I just need a boost, it blows a little cool, was the same last year, I'll check out the label on the car and the site you mention, thanks.