3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Say.. if anyone wants ported/polished VG heads...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Say.. if anyone wants ported/polished VG heads...

I looked in Alldata on head removal for the VG... they quote a long time (11 some odd hours) but worse is the price for a new head: $615 bucks!

I found a schweet junkyard in Seattle with 3 VG's in there. Heads are all good. Now, if I were to buy them and give them a little lovin via some elbow grease and a grinder, who would be interested? I *might* be able to get a 3-angle valve job done on them too as my grandfather owned a machine shop (still can do whatever there). Maybe take a few thousands off the deck and bump the CR a bit? What would you guys have in mind? Of course... they wouldn't be 600 some odd bucks
Old 05-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

new valves/springs/seals too?

flow bench or SAFC for testing tooo

I'll help pull parts though, we could have a race
Old 05-05-2004, 05:41 PM
No turbo, no care!

11 hours for VG head removal is absolutely riduculous. I removed my head this morning before going to work,probably took me 10 min a side, using the proper method of loosening of course (no joke).
$600 is pretty cheap for a head, lifters, valves and springs. Just the lifters are $300 from nissan. I could use a good set of valve covers with no chips in the paint however......
Old 05-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by masssmail
11 hours for VG head removal is absolutely riduculous. I removed my head this morning before going to work,probably took me 10 min a side, using the proper method of loosening of course (no joke).
$600 is pretty cheap for a head, lifters, valves and springs. Just the lifters are $300 from nissan. I could use a good set of valve covers with no chips in the paint however......
i will look for you. i know they are there, but as to the quality of themm i have no clue. i'll get back to you. SHAWN! TO THE BATMOBILE!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:55 PM

wwwweeeeeeee

Hey, lets call up those other yards too, they might have better prices if they have a VG. Plus I need some crap for my car.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:27 PM

I have 2 sets of VG heads, in addition to the ones that are in my car. One set is out by itself since I parted off one engine, the other ones are in the engine itself, which has a broken crankshaft. I would like a port/polish job for myself on one of these, the other two are fair game whoever needs them along with other engine parts.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Way out West

Hey, if you guys are making a junk yard run, throw one of the triangle vent pieces (on dash above steering wheel) in the old tool box when no one is looking
Old 05-05-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Do you know what you are doing? Unless you can verify the cfm readings before and after, you can't do much than a general cleanup. And on Nissan heads are rarely needed.

Only heads I'd touch are ones with some airflow data to back them up.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Seperated at Birth?

well... i was talking with a tuner d00d in Las Vegas whom I am possibly getting a job with in a year or two (possibly more) and he was saying that VG heads are quite restrictive in their stock form and can be enlarged generously giving a large boost in high end power (instead of 85-87mph trap speeds, think 94-98mph) without losing too much low end torque. Larger valves are almost a must after the polish and porting job but custom pistons would be required due to valves striking the piston when open, even with altered cam timings. Add a JWT cam to this and the gains could be quite large given the fact that it's only head work!

Now, Jeff does have a point... not anyone can crack a die grinder on the heads due to flow patterns getting farked. One could actually make it worse! If anything, a polish job would be quite beneficial. Port matching would help slightly too.

now.. if only the VG was a true Hemi head...
Old 05-05-2004, 11:07 PM

SAFC = poor mans flow bench

larger valves..... uhhhhhhh uhhhhh

you shouldnt need different pistons at all, your not changing the cams, your simply talking about porting and crap.

Anton, I'm also interested in picking up some extra VE upper intakes (VI prefered).
edit: ok, VG too. If you grab a spare, and dont mind swapping I am pretty sure I can get you more highend.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by MrGone
SAFC = poor mans flow bench

larger valves..... uhhhhhhh uhhhhh

you shouldnt need different pistons at all, your not changing the cams, your simply talking about porting and crap.

Anton, I'm also interested in picking up some extra VE upper intakes (VI prefered).
edit: ok, VG too. If you grab a spare, and dont mind swapping I am pretty sure I can get you more highend.
larger valves = increased head diameter = valve head closer to piston @ TDC. Although it won't be by much, it's still something to be concerned about... maybe larger reliefs?
Old 05-05-2004, 11:50 PM

break out fsm

j00 wanna try mah intake manifold mod?
Old 05-06-2004, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Hey, if you guys are making a junk yard run, throw one of the triangle vent pieces (on dash above steering wheel) in the old tool box when no one is looking
Qualitatively worst interior part. I hardly touched it when I broke mine. Even a newborn could tear that up if squeezed like the mother's breast.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:22 AM

These were ported and polished! Upper intake was done to match the heads. The valves were not inlarged but had the seats re-ground and new guidesIt was also decked and polished in the combustion chambers. There are some more pics at the bottom of my site.They were flow tested but im not sure on the exact numbers There were gains in flow but i imagine that they werent very large i could call the shop where i had them tested and get exact numbers if anyone is interested.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:52 AM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by anaximander
Qualitatively worst interior part. I hardly touched it when I broke mine. Even a newborn could tear that up if squeezed like the mother's breast.
I can verify this as I broke my trying to pull it off my parts car yesterday!! Anyway to all you with spare VG parts, and heading off the the junk yards I need some VG valve covers in good shape, a crank shaft, and an oil pan.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:56 AM
No turbo, no care!

Since he just posted and its realavant to the topic, 90seblack has access to a machine shop and does some good work at reasonable prices.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:59 AM

Thanks man! Ur crossover pipe is on its way out , We had some trouble getting that broken stud out. I thought u were gunna get that pan from me? I have a set of new condition steam cleaned valve covers if u want those 2 Ill send u pics 2night. Those new Jap motor pics i was telling u about are on the bottom of my Cardomain site.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:21 AM

<3 the D shaped CC on the VG

looks like a 351C
Old 05-08-2004, 08:18 AM

Speaking of 351s Im taking heads off of a 351W and putting them on a 302 I was told that I would need special head bolts , U know anything about that Mr Gone, and if ya do what head gaskets do I use or does it matter i would assume the 351W headgaskets. Any help would be great
Old 05-08-2004, 09:15 AM

It's been a long time since I've looked it up. It's possiable, but it seems like they are interchangeable with out much of a problem. (only W not C or Boss -boss is basically C heads). What year and engine codes? It's probably better just to go snag some e7's for $50 or something, lol. Personally I'm looking into aluminum heads and dreaming about the new dart aluminum block ($4000) .
Old 05-10-2004, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Do you know what you are doing? Unless you can verify the cfm readings before and after, you can't do much than a general cleanup. And on Nissan heads are rarely needed.
Not needed really, but even a port matching has been shown to give nice gains on a flowbench (on 300zx intake system test). It showed a 27cmf gain with just match porting and a mild port job just to blend in the matching at the gasket. No bowl work was done.
Originally Posted by Antonthegrey
Larger valves are almost a must after the polish and porting job
I've got to disagree here. Larger valves aren't always going to flow more, especially with a nonturbo application. If your valve is too large, you will lose intake velocity. Losing intake velocity WILL lose hp, by reducing volumetric efficiency. Not only that, the valves on these heads are already pretty close together. Putting in larger ones will make the section between so thin that you'll be asking for a cracked head.

While we're all showing pics of our work, check this one out...I hadn't yet gotten the final polish step done on the head when I took this pic. The bottom head is stock still.

I've done several sets of these heads, and no I've not flow tested them. If small gains are worth doubling the price, I'm sure I could have some tested... but I don't really think it's worth it unless money isn't limited much.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:18 AM

Nice site you have, engloid. Where are you located?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm needing a caw

Nice Engloid. I assume the work you are doing is based on work you've seen and that was proven to work. ie.. the cfm ratings for porting. That's fine. But I don't think Anton has this type of experience or reference to base his work off of.
Sorry Anton, you should do a bit of research first. You might even end up grinding into a water jacket if you aren't carefull. This making the head into a paperweight(or spending some bucks to get it welded up again)
Old 05-11-2004, 11:12 AM

Yeah, I had quite a few tips from guys that have quite a bit of flowbench experience. The people that I've ported heads for have always been pleased with the work. Granted, if somebody was building a top fuel dragster or had about $1000 to put in a set of heads, I'd honestly have to advise them to go elsewhere to get the most for their money.

Anaximander- I'm in Knoxville, TN. Not a bad place unless you like a lot of night life at the bars....which there's very little of here. I figure it's like Joe Dirt said: "Life is what you make it.".... not so much where you make it.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:28 PM

Do u have any pics of those heads on the intake sides, I would like to see how that side went, as porting the exhaust side will not help all that much if the intake isnt done correctly, not sayin that urs isnt but would just like to see?
Old 05-11-2004, 04:12 PM

no, I don't. I'm pretty bad about forgetting to take pics of stuff. I couldn't tell you how many things I didn't remember to take pics of until I had it boxed up to ship, or even was on the way to UPS to drop it off.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Nice Engloid. I assume the work you are doing is based on work you've seen and that was proven to work. ie.. the cfm ratings for porting. That's fine. But I don't think Anton has this type of experience or reference to base his work off of.
Originally Posted by Engloid
I've done several sets of these heads, and no I've not flow tested them. If small gains are worth doubling the price, I'm sure I could have some tested... but I don't really think it's worth it unless money isn't limited much.
My guess is he was doing what I mentioned above, Use a SAFC to measure air flow.

Practice makes perfect anyway
Old 05-12-2004, 11:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

Um you mean re-install the heads and get the car running and measure airflow via a SAFC? What if the cfm rating doesn't do squat? Now you have to take off the heads, break them down and the redo. Not very efficent way to work on the heads.
Best way is to copy what someone else has done that has extensive benchflow work already done. If you can actually do that. ie.. match all the ports the same. Grind exactly where the other person did etc.........

Originally Posted by MrGone
My guess is he was doing what I mentioned above, Use a SAFC to measure air flow.

Practice makes perfect anyway
Old 05-12-2004, 11:55 AM

So you paid to get your heads ported and polished and dont even know the flow numbers?

Doing motor work on a VG is pretty much a waste of time unless you have some sort of forced induction or just feel like throwing money away. Just my opinion