3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Car sputtering when started

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 10:30 AM

Car sputtering when started

I tried to start my car this morning and it would just crank but wouldn't start. Finally it started but then it started sputtering or stuttering. Now it's doing that all the time, what could it be? Something fuel related? It's also giving out a bad smell.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

heh join the club. mine started that the other day. haven't had a chance to really look at it yet. i'm starting with the fuel filter and going from there. mine is definitely fuel related.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:58 PM

Yeah. Mine does that too until it warms up, but I think my problem is my fuel pump. I'll probably replace it sometime this summer.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:19 PM

Has anyone experienced this:
I start the car and the rpms start fluctuate up and down between 2 and 1, like someone is stepping on the peddle and reving the car and then stopping and doing it again. Prerrt strange.

Anybody have this happen to them?
Old 05-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine stutters going down the road ever so often. Seems like the last time this started I had to replace the fuel pump. The pump statred squeeling before hand. It is squeeling again. It seems to stutter worse when the AC is on. It stutters then even at idle. Anyone know why fuel pumps would keep going out? Do you have to change the gas cap ever so often? Pumps arer a bit pricey if they are dealer installed. I would like to figure out if there is a problem before I put on a 3rd one.
Keith
Old 05-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine was doing that, and i thought that it was ignition related, because i could smell the fuel after cranking, so i sprayed down the ignition system with a squirt bottle and found a wicked arc on the ignition coil, so i replaced it and it hasn't done it since. So you might want to spray down the distributor, coil, wires, etc. and see if there is an arc.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy719
Has anyone experienced this:
I start the car and the rpms start fluctuate up and down between 2 and 1, like someone is stepping on the peddle and reving the car and then stopping and doing it again. Prerrt strange.

Anybody have this happen to them?
yeah thats been happening to me. does it eventually stall when it does that? and do you notice sluggishness at higher speeds when its doing that? thats what i get, ive been putting it off cause it was a phanton on and off problem but now its been getting worse and consistently stalls at stops. its now always there after a few minutes of warmup, gonna have to get it fixed. so far all ive done is changed fuel filter and it didnt help much
Old 05-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 90 and mine did the same thing. It drove but with a sever loss of power, wouldnt completely stall out but damn sure close. I think it was a bad tank of gas, it came on so abuptly and ended. It did put in dry gas and a fuel additive, might of helped i dont know. It did go away and is now running fine. (knock on wood)
Old 05-30-2004, 06:15 PM
94c Big Max

poor compression due to leaky hoses and gaskets.....humm there are too many to list them all here. So you're going to have to check each one by one. However, when the car is fully warmed up the leaky hoses will also get warmed up as well. Thus, it'll seal the leaks so you don't feel the vibration as much.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Yourself

same on/off prob here....1st time i cleaned k&n air filter -fixed......2nd time new fuel filter-fixed........3rd time (in mode 2 the green +red l.e.d's told me to replace oxygen $ensor (also got code for it in mode 3)(the old one looked original 160k miles it was time for new one anyway)--fixed.......4th time swapped back to stock intake box +made sure all clamps /hoses were sealed (dont tighten those clamps too much....break!!)-fixed..... --since the air flow meter is way up at the air box any leak on any of ALL those hoses after it would throw off air/fuel mix + mixture feedback control(the oxygen sensor +computer talking to each other).....there is fail safe modes. when the computer detects malfunction and it will use pre programed values to keep the car running -i didnt say running well....lol. im still a little confused when i read the factory manual i got when it comes to these systems it does seem that one problem can trigger all these others (for instance intake air leak would cause lean mixture which might seem like the oxygen sensors bad etc.) .... the other thing i need to figure out is the idle +cold idle air control system (my car still stumbles when full cold usaually) .....so start w the easy stuff first you dont want to pay 80$ an hour for some one to do a series of tests only to discover a leak in a vacum hose do ya?$$$$ also try disconnecting the - batt cable for a few (minutes or hours ?- im not sure?, do hours to be sure) while'st working on checking other stuff this will reset the computers -might as well try it