3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Removing door molding q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 07:37 PM

Removing door molding q's

Ok, so I've finally decided to remove the door moldings because they're starting to fade. I'll also be removing the chrome from the fenders as it's starting to crack and peel. What tools are the best to use for this? I've heard a rubber wheel for removing the glue, but what's the best to get the moldings to come off? Heat gun and dental floss? Any input on this is appreciated.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:40 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I haven't done this yet, but I've heard to get some adhesive remover. "Sticker Shock" is what everybody's raving about. I've had personal experience with some Orange scented adhesive remover that works WONDERS!! I can't believe it melts the adhesive so easily!

But a heat gun and something to pry with... preferrably made out of a non-scratch material (plastic). And some adhesive remover and you should be golden!

BTW, how is it in FL? I am moving to WPB in one month. See ya there!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

a plastic chisel works quite well. heat gun helps a lot w/ softening the glue.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Way out West

I can't remember who told me this, but from what I understand a clay bar works good. I think it whittles away the clay bar rather quickly, but gets the stuff off in a hurry. That's what I recall, but I am not 100 percent.

I am probably going to take mine off sometime this summer, so if anyone finds something that works well, please post it up and take pics. Maybe a mod can add it to the FAQ stickies, since so many people have been doing this/want to do it.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:06 PM
NWP Engineering.com

The reason I haven't done this yet is b/c.. First, it doesn't make your car faster other than the awesome weight reduction procedure you are performing. Second, I am scared of door dings. And these things actually protect your car from other doors! But yes, mine are very faded and brown. I guess I will get rid of them one day just b/c I know how well the 3rd gen looks without them.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
The reason I haven't done this yet is b/c.. First, it doesn't make your car faster other than the awesome weight reduction procedure you are performing. Second, I am scared of door dings. And these things actually protect your car from other doors! But yes, mine are very faded and brown. I guess I will get rid of them one day just b/c I know how well the 3rd gen looks without them.

Whats WPB

methinks that 3rd gen your talking about belongs to a certian king of pez?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Whats WPB

methinks that 3rd gen your talking about belongs to a certian king of pez?
WPB= west palm beach
Old 06-23-2004, 10:30 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
WPB= west palm beach
Good Job! Are you from FL?

Shawn, what are you talking about? Les?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:01 PM

Cool beans guys, thanks. Cool Aaron, it'll be nice to have another max added to the Florida crew. Sadly, I probably won't have the 3rd gen for more than another month . I'm having last minute modding madness apparently before I sell her, little details to make her nice for her next owner (time to move on, can't afford another tranny). Probably end up with a 4th gen SE 5spd since VE's are hard to come across in 5spd around here.

ps, FL is hot, humid and rainy right now, which is how it is save 3.5 months of the year (cold out in dec,jan, feb and maybe half of march if you're lucky)
Old 06-23-2004, 11:08 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Maxima NutBag
Cool beans guys, thanks. Cool Aaron, it'll be nice to have another max added to the Florida crew. Sadly, I probably won't have the 3rd gen for more than another month . I'm having last minute modding madness apparently before I sell her (time to move on, can't afford another tranny). Probably end up with a 4th gen SE 5spd since VE's are hard to come across in 5spd around here.

ps, FL is hot and rainy right now.
Don't get a 4th gen. Have you ever driven one? The VE 5spd is so much more fun to drive. And if you get a VE Auto, I will be happy to tell you how to make it whoop any VE 5spd on the road. 4dsc for life!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:20 PM

Well goodness me, I just found an A/T 92SE, and a 5spd 92SE, one Satin White Pearlglow, the other white, for sale near me, and a black 93SE 69mi from me. oooooo....
Old 06-24-2004, 03:29 AM

Don't get a 4th gen. Have you ever driven one? The VE 5spd is so much more fun to drive. And if you get a VE Auto, I will be happy to tell you how to make it whoop any VE 5spd on the road. 4dsc for life!
Maybe you could tell all of us VE auto guys how to whoop any VE 5spd on the road!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by midnight
Maybe you could tell all of us VE auto guys how to whoop any VE 5spd on the road!!!
and then the VE5 guys could put in the same amount of work/money to their car and whoop you again
Old 06-24-2004, 06:54 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
I can't remember who told me this, but from what I understand a clay bar works good. I think it whittles away the clay bar rather quickly, but gets the stuff off in a hurry. That's what I recall, but I am not 100 percent.

I am probably going to take mine off sometime this summer, so if anyone finds something that works well, please post it up and take pics. Maybe a mod can add it to the FAQ stickies, since so many people have been doing this/want to do it.
clay won't work.

clay won't remove the glue.
clay won't remove the moulding.

goo gone helps..but don't waste your time with clay. clay is good for removing overspray and other small stuff off your paint.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:48 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
and then the VE5 guys could put in the same amount of work/money to their car and whoop you again
I haven't found one yet. But it CAN be done if you put on some slicks.

Midnight, just visit my website and go to my mods list.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Way out West

Thanks, DanNY, I was just trying to be helpful. I need to find out who was telling me that and maybe they can back it up/take it back. Argh, I just can't remember...

Aaron, I need slicks. Once I finish the stuff I have going, I hope to get into the 14s.

If I can get some better tires and work on the launch more I know I can cut some time off my 60 foot and overall times. If MrGone would actually race his car (and get better tires) I think he should be in the 14s, too. I would also like to see Jeff have a go. I haven't seen his car, but from what Shawn tells me, he could probably give you a run (and a much better stop!!!)

But, I must admit, your AT is the benchmark for all N/A 3rd gens -- hats off to you.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:25 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Thanks, DanNY, I was just trying to be helpful. I need to find out who was telling me that and maybe they can back it up/take it back. Argh, I just can't remember...

Aaron, I need slicks. Once I finish the stuff I have going, I hope to get into the 14s.

If I can get some better tires and work on the launch more I know I can cut some time off my 60 foot and overall times. If MrGone would actually race his car (and get better tires) I think he should be in the 14s, too. I would also like to see Jeff have a go. I haven't seen his car, but from what Shawn tells me, he could probably give you a run (and a much better stop!!!)

But, I must admit, your AT is the benchmark for all N/A 3rd gens -- hats off to you.
Well thanks. I don't know what Jeff has on his car, but I doubt he has anything for me in the 1/4 mile. LOL jk

Oh yeah, one thing you have to remember is make the weather work for you! You can't expect great times during the summer months. It's just not going to happen. Find out the coldest possible temp that the track is open and hope you are racing on that day. Then you will be making some nice HP in something colder than 50 degrees.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:19 PM

Matt's car ran a 14.6 with just a CAI/UDP/Fidanza/ummm...

I know he didn't have slicks or an aftermarket exhaust. And he has over 225,000 on his car/engine.

Thats like less than half the work and he's pulling the same numbers, and he wasn't racing in conditions like the rock either

hehehehhe gotta give Aaron a hard time.

It would be cool to see Jeff hop on the dyno or maybe head out to Pacific Raceways before other projects are done, but then again I haven't done either yet aswell so I probably shouldn't be talking lol. for Jeff to pull atleast 200whp
Old 06-24-2004, 01:16 PM
NWP Engineering.com

The rock? I've never raced there. I ran my 14.5 in 1200 feet air density in sucky California and 78 degree weather. I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Matt's time. I'm just saying I can run much better if you give me those nice NC weather conditions once again.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:53 AM

Good Job! Are you from FL?

Shawn, what are you talking about? Les?
Nope, i am in MD but have been to WPB a few times.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:08 AM

wow we got a bit any more pointers on removing the door moldings.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:24 AM
bdm

repaint?

I plan on doing a little masking, sanding, painting and clear coating my moldings and mirrors very soon. I plan on doing this with spray paint from autozone. I think it will look alright and then I wont have to take all the stuff off. On a side note, do the power mirrors come out easily?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 PM

To take the door body moldings off... I used a high speed drill and what the body shop called a "Magic Eraser". I also used it to take off the vinyl dealership info on my trunk. It took me about an hour and a half to get it all finished. BTW, you can pick up this eraser deal at any paint and body shop. Hope this helps.