3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wheels smokin!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:21 PM
1993 SE

Wheels smokin!!

This is the bad kind.! I was frolicking through the city at random high speeds today. Anyway after a while of this , I came to a light and noticed my brakes were smoking a little. So I took it easy on the way to a friends house and its been fine since but what do I need to do, just get better rotors and pads??
Old 07-09-2004, 06:29 PM

It shouldnt be a big deal, unless you sprayed water on the rotors, in that case ur plucked, and will need new rotors. My advise if your going to keep driving like that, get brembo cross drills and some ebc green stuff brake pads. Also get some wheels that have a larger opening like 5 spoke ones so air can flow over them. Finally just remember that though this is a sports car, its a 4 door sports car, so its got some extra heft!
Old 07-09-2004, 08:21 PM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by Kikcaffine
It shouldnt be a big deal, unless you sprayed water on the rotors, in that case ur plucked, and will need new rotors. My advise if your going to keep driving like that, get brembo cross drills and some ebc green stuff brake pads. Also get some wheels that have a larger opening like 5 spoke ones so air can flow over them. Finally just remember that though this is a sports car, its a 4 door sports car, so its got some extra heft!
Yeah, I had 2 extra passengers so it was probably too much for the stock brakes to stop all that weight at high speeds for long. I experienced brake-fade too.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:32 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by Kikcaffine

1. Brembo crossdrilled will only make the problem WORSE, not better. for performance uses, stay away from the crossdrilled rotors.

2. a Maxima is not a sports car. it's a four door sedan with a decent amount of power..

he is correct in that what you saw was your brakes overheating. if you're seeing fade on the street then you need to SLOW DOWN- especially with passengers. it's not only dangerous, but it's stupid.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:06 PM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
1. Brembo crossdrilled will only make the problem WORSE, not better. for performance uses, stay away from the crossdrilled rotors.

2. a Maxima is not a sports car. it's a four door sedan with a decent amount of power..

he is correct in that what you saw was your brakes overheating. if you're seeing fade on the street then you need to SLOW DOWN- especially with passengers. it's not only dangerous, but it's stupid.
Yes that would be stupid to drive around like that, as for me, I still want to know what I can do to improve my brakes. Thanks anyway
Old 07-10-2004, 05:43 PM

Matt ur saying that cross drilled rotors shouldn't be used for daily driving?
Old 07-10-2004, 06:38 PM

cross drilled rotors have less surface for u to brake on..they keep ur rotors cooler but when ur driving at such crazy speeds i would suggest some slooted with green stuff pads..if u like hauling a## then steel braid ur brake lines also
Old 07-10-2004, 08:21 PM
STFU n00b!

I don't suggest crossdrilled rotors, period. on street-driven Maximas, they have a horrible tendency to crack--no matter how well designed they are.

I had a set of brembos with properly raduised/chamfered holes and they didn't even last 10k miles before cracking. many many other people have had these same problems. do some searching on it and you'll find tons of issues with them.

you'll notice a lot of places are selling dimpled rotors instead of crossdrilled. that's 95% of the reason why they're doing it.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:45 PM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I don't suggest crossdrilled rotors, period. on street-driven Maximas, they have a horrible tendency to crack--no matter how well designed they are.

I had a set of brembos with properly raduised/chamfered holes and they didn't even last 10k miles before cracking. many many other people have had these same problems. do some searching on it and you'll find tons of issues with them.

you'll notice a lot of places are selling dimpled rotors instead of crossdrilled. that's 95% of the reason why they're doing it.
So our best bet would be to keep the factory rotors and get better pads then. I maxxed out the max at 130-ish, I NEVER drive that fast but I just couldnt resist the open road (usually theres always cars blocking the way of progress over 100) plus I was kinda following 2 bikes w/ chicks on the back showing buttocks and they were bawlin' boy!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:38 PM

If you have some extra cash to invest you could get a big brake kit and upgrade to a bigger rotor and bigger calipers. With the bigger setup stopping a Maxima won't at high speeds shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:16 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

yes...get the Z32 brakes.