3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

No 1st gear - Tranny Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 06:04 PM
G.Andrews

Ok, I know that I have seen several posts about tranny problems and rebuilds.
This is on a 93GXE Auto
Background:
Going to work yesterday, driving about 55 and the front end of the car started vibrating with a really bad shutter, I let off the gas and it quit. Stepped back on the gas and continued driving normally.
Leaving the mall today, I put it in Drive and pushed on the gas, nothing.
Stepped on the brake, put it in park.
Put it back in drive, pushed on the gas and it made a NASTY grinding sound.
Stepped on the brake and put it in park.
Put it back in Drive and pushed VERY lighlty on the gas, the car made no noise, but rolled about 20 feet down a very slight grade in the parking lot, second gear kicked in and we were off without any noise.

Questions are:
1. Has anyone experienced something like this?

2. Do you think its shot or letting go?

3. Whats the avg price range for a tranny rebuild?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Looks like I should not have dropped the cash on my stereo this past weekend....
Greg

Old 04-03-2001, 06:14 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

FLashbacks......

Questions are:
1. Has anyone experienced something like this?

Yup, just before my first rebuild. the car acts like its stalling REALLY badly but it continues to drives, but only at a slow pace. also "safe mode" kicks in and 3rd gear is your only option. I've been through this 3 times, I know the feeling all to well now.......

2. Do you think its shot or letting go?

if you can still drive it, than obviously its "letting go", but when it is "shot" which unfortunately might not be too far away.......trust me you'll know!!

3. Whats the avg price range for a tranny rebuild?
avg prices range from $1300-2500 for rebuilds and $3-4000 for a new one. if you get a rebuild, make sure you get a trans cooler($40) along with it and ask about having your trannys valve body "recalibrated" for quicker shifts which will also lengthen tranny life!

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Looks like I should not have dropped the cash on my stereo this past weekend....
Greg [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 04-04-2001, 07:03 AM
G.Andrews

More interesting things

OK, lets add this one to the equation:

If the Tranny switch is in the P mode, then I get the nasty grinding sound in 1st, until 2nd kicks in, then it goes away.

If the Tranny switch is in the middle position, no noise and a little more pull in 1st (but still not what it should be)

If the Tranny switch is in the C mode, then no noticable noise in 1st.

Thoughts?

Old 04-04-2001, 07:29 AM

there is a diagnostic that you can do

there is a procedure that you can do to read out any fault codes from the tranny but unfortunatley I dont have the manuel with me.

you may not have a full rebuild ahead.
I believe you said you have the gxe, There is supposed to be problems with the solenoid pack with that tranny, which is something that can be replaced

but running the diagnostic would be helpful
Old 04-04-2001, 05:05 PM

Your tranny is in the rolling death stage, unless it is just low on fluid. Start looking around for a good place to replace it. You can not get a new (e.g., not rebuilt) transmission. Even the ones from Nissan are rebuilt, and not even remanufactured. In a rebuild, the soft parts are replaced: clutches, seals, etc. Parts like the planetary gears set are not. This is why rebuilts do not last as long as new ones, unless you get it really rebuilt by Level 10. When the transmission is replaced you must get an external transmission cooler. Unless it is very cold where you live have the radiator "cooler" (it's only a heat exchanger) by passed. It's probably clogged with crud and can't be properly flushed. Also get the transmission filled with synthetic ATF. Get it changed at 10k miles, then every 30k miles and it may last 60k miles.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:43 PM
G.Andrews

RIP...The Last Update

Well, the tranny let go the rest of the way today.
After digging into the costs of repairing the tranny, and due to the fact that apparently the rebuilts appear to be only lasting a max of 60k miles, I cannot see dropping as much money for the tranny as the car is actually worth.

Other factors go into this, as the list below is the other problems that I know about:
* 2 rear exhaust studs broken
* needs a complete exhaust system replacement
* rack and pinion needs to be replace
* VTC fix
* Fuel Injectors need help
* Time for another timing belt

In addition to the fact that I need a lot more room for my family of 5 to take road trips in.

Therefore, its RIP to the Maxima.
Im going in the morning to trade it in on an Excursion or Suburban.

Thanks to ALL who have helped with answers to all the questions. I wished that I had found this site sooner!

Later
Greg

Old 04-05-2001, 09:20 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

GXE's don't have VTC....

are you sure you have a GXE or an SE? if you have a GXE than there is no VTC so you can scratch one thing off that list. yup repairs suck ***, sometimes, its best just to rid of the problem since form the repairs you mentioned you looking at spending $3000+/-! tough decision......

Originally posted by G.Andrews
Well, the tranny let go the rest of the way today.
After digging into the costs of repairing the tranny, and due to the fact that apparently the rebuilts appear to be only lasting a max of 60k miles, I cannot see dropping as much money for the tranny as the car is actually worth.

Other factors go into this, as the list below is the other problems that I know about:
* 2 rear exhaust studs broken
* needs a complete exhaust system replacement
* rack and pinion needs to be replace
* VTC fix
* Fuel Injectors need help
* Time for another timing belt

In addition to the fact that I need a lot more room for my family of 5 to take road trips in.

Therefore, its RIP to the Maxima.
Im going in the morning to trade it in on an Excursion or Suburban.

Thanks to ALL who have helped with answers to all the questions. I wished that I had found this site sooner!

Later
Greg