3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

blower problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004 | 10:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

blower problems

Hi,
I have a 1990 GXE A/T
When I turn the blower on (either the AC or heater), it will barely blow any air, even on full. Also it makes the car idle weird, slower and the fans vibrate pretty bad, it seems to cause a loss in power. Everything was working fine and blowing cold earlier today.
What could be the problem?
~mike
Old 07-31-2004 | 09:16 AM

Can you still tell a difference between fan speeds? Or is it just one speed no matter which one you select?
Old 07-31-2004 | 06:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kcidmil
Can you still tell a difference between fan speeds? Or is it just one speed no matter which one you select?

I can not tell the difference between fan speeds. Just one, really low speed, and a big, car shaking vibration, with a noise that sounds like the car is working hard to keep those fans going. I hate to say it among so many who know cars so well, but I know little about fixing cars, I do know that Maximas are sweet, and I'll probably learn about cars on this one, (if it lives long enough).

When the fan is off, the car runs like a dream, it misses a little in idle, kind of a hard idle: chug, chug chug, chug. It accelerates well, with no slippage between gears.

One other thing, I can't find Dexron II trans fluid for the power steering as recommended by the Chilton manual, is Dexron III o.k.? If so, any brand recommendations?
Old 07-31-2004 | 06:35 PM

I can't say for sure. I know at my work we have some forklifts that used to run Dexron II, and we switched over to Dexron III without any problems. But I don't know for sure how it will effect your tranny. But I can find out for sure. I'll talk to one of the civilians who was around during the change over. That was about 4 years ago when that happened, and I wasn't here at the time.

As for the blower I can't say for sure, but I have a idea. We just got done with a Ford Explorer last week that had almost the same problem. Not saying that a Ford and Nissan will have the same setup. But it might be close enough. I noticed that when the blower was turned on, and a setting set to anything other than face vents. The A/C would kick on.

If the bearings in your A/C compressor are wearing out, that'll drag down your engine. Because now the engine has to overcome that resistance.

As for the blower speed, possibly a shorted motor. And might want to have the resistors checked out for the blower too. Because if you're only getting one speed, the resistors to get you fan on slow and med speed aren't working right.

That's the best I can do for you. Sorry I couldn't help more. It would be easier if I was there to look at it.
Old 07-31-2004 | 07:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anybody else out there have an opinion on this problem?

Also, when I was referring to the tranny fluid, it's for the power steering, (I do use tranny fluid for the power steering in this model right?), but I guess it will be useful to know if Dexron III is o.k. for the transmission too, as I'm about to do a trans fluid change. I read in consumer guide that this model of Maxima should ideally use Nissanmatic "c" trans fluid, any opinions on that, (agree, disagree, makes no difference), and any advice where I can find this type of fluid?
Old 07-31-2004 | 07:37 PM

Whoa, I checked my power steering just to make sure. It's power steering fluid, not dexron. They're close to the same color, but dexron is darker. Power steering fluid is a light red.

Check to see what's in your tranny first. Probably the nissan fluid. And have the same kind used when it's changed. Saves possible problems in the future.
Old 07-31-2004 | 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Both the Chilton manual and owners manual state that transmission fluid should be used for the 1990 Maxima power steering, I thought it was strange too but I can't imagine both being wrong, (the Chiltons manual is for 1985-1992 models).

Regarding the second half of your response, sorry if I sound like an idiot, but how can I tell what kind of fluid was used last time it was filled (I just purchased the car and wasn't the last one to do it)?

Also, how much does it matter if you use the same oil/trans fluid/power steering fluid/ ect. as the last topping off, as I have no idea what kind was used before.
Old 07-31-2004 | 07:56 PM

Hmm, well I don't know what color the Nissan brand would be. Dexron has a distinct smell to it, and of course it's a dark red.

Some fluids do not mix well. In fact, some when mixed together, can become dangerous to the point that it will start eating seals up.

Myth has it (i'm not to sure how true this is) that once you use a Synthetic, that if you put normal oil back in, the seals will start fall apart. Or along that lines. Supposedly it has something to do with the fact that the synthetic has a ingredient that coats the seals. And normal oil breaks it down, and the seals at the same time.

I know we have one vehicle at work that uses mineral oil for brake fluid. If Dot 3 was to be put in, all the seals would break down, and start causing a big mess. It's not pretty either. I had to replace all the hoses and seals one time because the operator did that.
Old 08-01-2004 | 05:23 AM
mod or sell?

First get your car tuned up, that will possibly fix the bad idle which is most probably related to your fan speed problem.
But it may actaully be an injector or 2 that failed (not unusual on a GXE)
Old 08-02-2004 | 12:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thank you!