3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Front and rear BBK's FINALLY installed (really long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Getting back to his roots

Front and rear BBK's FINALLY installed (really long)

So, a few months ago when my mechanic was pulling off my front brakes to install some new wheels studs (old ones were rusty and starting to strip), he noticed that my front rotors were basically toast (large deep grooves). So, he suggested I get new front brakes. I look into it.

Fast forward a month or so. I get the opportunity to purchase a parts car, and make some decent money selling parts. Jeff's BBK posts rise to the main page and I look into costs. Turns out the front BBK is not too much more money compared to getting new x-drilled rotors and pads and ss brake lines. I decide to go for it (rear BBK too). I get a set of Z32 calipers from Ebay, the rings and brackets, pads and ss brake lines. I take a day and attempt the install. Here is where the fun begins.

I get the bracket on (though I know I will need new bolts because the Z32 bolts come too close to the rotor), and put the caliper on and rotor. So far so good. I have 18x8's with a pretty good spoke pattern, and I did some rudimentiary measurements based upon Matt's kit, so I think I'm good. HAHA. I need 1/2" of spacer to get the wheel on. That means Nismo studs and custom spacers or H&Rs. I go plan A. I order the Nismo studs, and call my friend's dad who owns a small machine shop. He agrees to make spacers.

In the meantime, my rear brakes are now toast. I throw the pads and rotors from the parts car as a temp. solution. I also have an oil leak at the front oil seal so I send my ASP pulley off to have the collar attached. I also install some new control arms (one of mine was bent and Brian's prices are good so I do both). The pulley comes back nearly a week later (weekend screwed it up), and I install that and do the control arms, except, I manage to strip a bolt that connects the rear bushing bracket to the chassis. *sigh*. I call AAA, and have the car towed to my mechanic. He can't do it for 3 days.

In the meantime, I paint my front and rear BBK brackets. I loathe being without a car. My mechanic calls to tell me the car's done and informs me he installed the Nismo studs on the REAR wheels (I had him grind down the rear dust shields which is what got him confused). I figure it's more hassle / labor to swap the studs than to just buy another set (I am running spacers on my rear wheels anyway). I call Courtesy and order another set. 3 weeks have passed now since I originally test-fitted the kit.

The 2nd set of studs arrive, and I attempt to install them (my mechanic let me borrow his stud installer tool because he felt bad for screwing up). I knock an old stud out and put a new one in. It is too small (diameter-wise). Arrgghhh. I call Courtesy and they conclude that I need the OTHER size of Nismo stud for the front (website neglected to mention this). So I wait again.

Finally, today the studs came and I installed them, and installed the front BBK (I did the rear BBK yesterday -- very straightforward). But of course it is raining here so I can't really go out and see what they can do. Also the pedal is soft because I just bled all 4 lines and replaced with ATE Superblue.

Sorry to vent for soooo long. But this was a month-long ordeal that just gave me delay after delay, so I am glad this is finally finished. Long-term impressions to come.

HERE ARE THE PICS:

New Nismo studs on the front (note the stud installer on the ground -- is really the only way to install the studs, keeps the threads neat and the stud true).

Front before and after (like a diet commercial, dirty rims before, clean after)

Ditto for the rear

Fin
Old 08-05-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm needing a caw

Nice! Before Craig comes in, "your taping job sucks". hehe

You should be very pleased with the results. The pedal feel should firm up as the pads break in. ie.. about one day.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:33 PM
mod or sell?

definately helps fill the wheel better
Old 08-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice! cant wait to see them at the meet sunday