3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

A/C problem. Could it be the switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 07:11 AM

A/C problem. Could it be the switch?

The Air Conditioner in my 91 Maxima is not working. The blowing fan works fine just not cool air. I noticed that the green light is not on. No matter how many times I push on and off on the switch I could not get the AC going. I do not feel the compressor is not kick in. The hot air is blowing though. BUT
Sometimes if I shut the car off then restart then the AC would worked (green light is on). Now I can turn on A/C (push the A/C button) and off as many times as I want and it would be working fine.
Any idea what's wrong?
Old 08-06-2004, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dougn
The Air Conditioner in my 91 Maxima is not working. The blowing fan works fine just not cool air. I noticed that the green light is not on. No matter how many times I push on and off on the switch I could not get the AC going. I do not feel the compressor is not kick in. The hot air is blowing though. BUT
Sometimes if I shut the car off then restart then the AC would worked (green light is on). Now I can turn on A/C (push the A/C button) and off as many times as I want and it would be working fine.
Any idea what's wrong?

Hi,

did you push the lever with the count 1 2 3 4 to 1,

if you didn't then the a/c will not work,

once you push the lever that below the number the a/c will kick in and work,

if you leave that lever in the off position it will below hot air and cold air,

hope this help
Old 08-06-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dougn
Any idea what's wrong?
I kind of have that same problem only my A/C doesn't come on at all which leads me to believe that there is no freeon left in the system.....I don't know though. How could someone tell if he was just on his way out of freeon/had none left or something was wrong with the A/C compressor. I guess I'm kind of in that same boat, but I'm going with the fact that I have no freeon left and which I bought r12 replacement freeon......
Old 08-06-2004, 11:41 AM

The freon pressure switch is just behind the driver side headlight. Pull the connector from the sensor. Short the harness part with a piece of wire and see if your compressor will kick in. If it will then your problem is an empty system, fill up and enjoy. If it still does not kick in, you need to investigate further.

Originally Posted by aw89maxSE
I kind of have that same problem only my A/C doesn't come on at all which leads me to believe that there is no freeon left in the system.....I don't know though. How could someone tell if he was just on his way out of freeon/had none left or something was wrong with the A/C compressor. I guess I'm kind of in that same boat, but I'm going with the fact that I have no freeon left and which I bought r12 replacement freeon......
Old 08-06-2004, 11:43 AM

By the way, where does one buy freon bottles and how does one fill up the system? I am totally ignorant of this area and may need help too. I certainly would love to fill up my system myself, kinda dont trust any more mechanics in this ****ing world.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
By the way, where does one buy freon bottles and how does one fill up the system? I am totally ignorant of this area and may need help too. I certainly would love to fill up my system myself, kinda dont trust any more mechanics in this ****ing world.
Freeze 12...replaces the freeon in witch r12 is used. It's on ebay. I'm not sure how to do it but a couple of kits come with instructions.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by maximagxe90
Hi,

did you push the lever with the count 1 2 3 4 to 1,

if you didn't then the a/c will not work,

once you push the lever that below the number the a/c will kick in and work,
Explain this more.....