3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Non-Noob Problem - Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 11:54 PM

Non-Noob Problem - Electrical

Most of my illumination lights won't come on. These lights include the buttons on the panel across where the steering wheel is, but when the switch is activated(e.g. Cruise Control) the "On" light comes on.. but not the little graphic thingy.. the lights on the power windows buttons won't come on cept the auto down. And the lights in auto climate control, cept ONE of the illumination light in the digital display.

The lights in the auto climate control going out is especially annoying. i can't see what i'm doing with the thing.

I found a circuit diagram of the fuses and what they do on craigB's site, but i've checked all the fuses none of them fixes my problem. What else should i check?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:21 AM

bump^ some help anyone?
Old 08-22-2004, 09:45 AM

None of my interior lights work anymore...well the idiot ones on the gauge cluster do, I'm not sure abotu the window ones...I believe I blew my TCU and plan to get one at a junkyard somewhere...it controls the dimmer switch according to the FSM
Old 08-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

none of the window switches are supposed to light up except the auto down

as for the dash switches, you probably need to replace the bulbs. You have to take the switches apart and replace it with a Radio Shack '12v mini lamp' part # 272-1092 (or 7219 depending on which number system they use)
Old 08-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MaxNub91
Most of my illumination lights won't come on. These lights include the buttons on the panel across where the steering wheel is, but when the switch is activated(e.g. Cruise Control) the "On" light comes on.. but not the little graphic thingy.. the lights on the power windows buttons won't come on cept the auto down. And the lights in auto climate control, cept ONE of the illumination light in the digital display.

The lights in the auto climate control going out is especially annoying. i can't see what i'm doing with the thing.

I found a circuit diagram of the fuses and what they do on craigB's site, but i've checked all the fuses none of them fixes my problem. What else should i check?

what Craig said plus here are pics of where the bulbs are located on the ACC. If the display part is fading in and out then you need to pull it out and resolder the connections on the board.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:04 AM

Ooo.. nice pics.. thx! but i've always had trouble trying to get the ACC outta there.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Ooo.. nice pics.. thx! but i've always had trouble trying to get the ACC outta there.

its easy...undo 4 screws, push in to the left and pull out sideways.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Power Dorifto Extraordinaire!

i have the same prob, also with my gauge lights too. they were fine, then they all went out. i replaced all the fuses, but they do not work under load. i found out that the relays are burned out.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by PunkFriday
i have the same prob, also with my gauge lights too. they were fine, then they all went out. i replaced all the fuses, but they do not work under load. i found out that the relays are burned out.
do u know which relay is making them go out?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:52 PM

i just checked the circuit diagrams on haynes manual.. the illumination pins on the buttons only points to words that says "to illumination system" but doesn't show where and what is the illumination system.

can someone with a chiltons manual or factory service manual check that for me?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:02 AM

Well what do ya know.. i just went and replaced the lamps in the buttons on the panel around the steering column, and it really was the stupid bulbs burning up on me.

i had 2 radio shack mini lamps handy so i stuck them into the dimmer switch and rear window defogger switch.

for the cruise control switch i saw that there was plenty of room for me to solder on an LED and resistor and so i did.. had to clip off a bit of the base on the 5mm LEDs to make it fit inside tho.. and now it works.

when my shipment of 100 ocean blue 3mm LEDs arrive i'll redo all the lights on my car.

thx guys for all the help..
Old 08-25-2004, 06:21 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Well what do ya know.. i just went and replaced the lamps in the buttons on the panel around the steering column, and it really was the stupid bulbs burning up on me.

i had 2 radio shack mini lamps handy so i stuck them into the dimmer switch and rear window defogger switch.

for the cruise control switch i saw that there was plenty of room for me to solder on an LED and resistor and so i did.. had to clip off a bit of the base on the 5mm LEDs to make it fit inside tho.. and now it works.

when my shipment of 100 ocean blue 3mm LEDs arrive i'll redo all the lights on my car.

thx guys for all the help..

I did a write up on doing just that. Its on Craigs site. I never got around to doing anything but the door and buttons under the instrument cluster. I will tell you that you will need an LED holder that disperses the lights evenly on the ACC. I will eventually get some pics of just what I have and did but I stuck everything in boxes and have to find it.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
I did a write up on doing just that. Its on Craigs site. I never got around to doing anything but the door and buttons under the instrument cluster. I will tell you that you will need an LED holder that disperses the lights evenly on the ACC. I will eventually get some pics of just what I have and did but I stuck everything in boxes and have to find it.
i wanna see a write up for the lights in the ACC, especially the lights that light up the LCD display. cuz' most of mine are dead..
Old 08-26-2004, 05:24 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

i wanna see a write up for the lights in the ACC, especially the lights that light up the LCD display. cuz' most of mine are dead..
There are no lights that light up the LCD. If your display is unreadable then you need to take it out and resolder some of the connectors or caps on the board that the LCD is on. The only lights in the ACC are the ones I showed in the pic above and the ones on the side for the fresh vent lever.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
There are no lights that light up the LCD. If your display is unreadable then you need to take it out and resolder some of the connectors or caps on the board that the LCD is on. The only lights in the ACC are the ones I showed in the pic above and the ones on the side for the fresh vent lever.
darn, so there is no way to change the color of the LCD display eh.. but i figured that was the case, since i fixed the dead clock and it didn't have any lights for me to replace.. oh wellz.. i'll try to pull it out next week, since that's the only time i'll have time on my hands...