3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

upgraded wire harness for e36 lights...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 08:55 PM
smokyman13

upgraded wire harness for e36 lights...

I have read a couple of different posts and FAQ's on how to make an upgraded wire harness and how to wire up e36 lights.....I just have one question that Im not exactly sure about.....if I am hooking up e36 headlights, I make one relay for the low beam and 1 relay for the high beam......do I need 2 relays for both lights(lowbeam control both lights low, and highbeam control both lights high)....or would I need 4 relays(2 for both low beams, and 2 for both high beams)?
If this has been asked, Im sorry for reposting, I;ve read a couple of writeups on this procedure and Im just curious if I am thinking the right way...Thanks

Old 08-22-2004, 09:44 PM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by smokyman13
I have read a couple of different posts and FAQ's on how to make an upgraded wire harness and how to wire up e36 lights.....I just have one question that Im not exactly sure about.....if I am hooking up e36 headlights, I make one relay for the low beam and 1 relay for the high beam......do I need 2 relays for both lights(lowbeam control both lights low, and highbeam control both lights high)....or would I need 4 relays(2 for both low beams, and 2 for both high beams)?
If this has been asked, Im sorry for reposting, I;ve read a couple of writeups on this procedure and Im just curious if I am thinking the right way...Thanks
also what kind of relay do I need to get? like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=275%2D226 ? or anyone got a generic part number for the relay I need, or will any relay work for it?

Old 08-23-2004, 12:10 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by smokyman13
also what kind of relay do I need to get? like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=275%2D226 ? or anyone got a generic part number for the relay I need, or will any relay work for it?
I've always used SPDT (Single Pole, Dual-Throw) relays, but I'm sure the one you linked will work as well...

As for the wiring, you can't go wrong with using one relay per bulb (which is what I'm ASSuming you mean by "2 for both low beams, and 2 for both high beams"). It shouldn't hurt things, but keep in mind - even relays draw amperage. And while generally not more than 200mA per relay, it's something to consider when "loading up" the electrical system.

But in this application, that will probably NEVER come into play...