3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

air ride install on 94 gxe

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:50 AM

air ride install on 94 gxe

alright it's been a thought for awhile and it's finally happened my cousin (molehill84) has been bugging me with ?'s about it forever and i finally agreed to install it. the kit is a 1/2" FBSS kit with 2 3 gallon tanks and 2 3/4 HP compressors.

here is a pic of what the air bag strut assembly looks like compared to the stock strut, there was also a 2" drop strut mount added to it.

a comparison of what the stock vs aftermarket struts look like mounted

for the rear after you take off the spring and all the rest of the stock crap you have to grind down the stock struts to look like this

when it's all done this is what the rear Air strut setups look like.

with this kit the car sits level and is 2 1/2" off the ground lowered and can raise up to about 1" higher then stock
as of right now thats all the pics i have, i will be posting more up later with more info. i will also have pics of the whole custom trunk done in leather that shows the tanks and compressors mounted.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:54 AM

very nice!
have some pics of the entire car/setup?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:01 PM

as of right now thats the only pic i have of the car, thats before the air ride install. there will be a whole bunch more posted soon.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:54 PM

cool, can't wait....
Old 08-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by -shock211-
cool, can't wait....
hey thats a nice looking 3rd gen cant wait to see those pics also great pics
Old 08-24-2004, 05:57 PM

Very cool...

Keep up the good work on the 3rd Gen & keep repping us GXEs
Old 08-24-2004, 06:38 PM
1993 SE

[QUOTE=nightryder]alright it's been a thought for awhile and it's finally happened my cousin (molehill84) has been bugging me with ?'s about it forever and i finally agreed to install it. the kit is a 1/2" FBSS kit with 2 3 gallon tanks and 2 3/4 HP compressors.

Thats very, very tight! Where can you buy these air ride struts? Will you make a write-up?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:28 PM

interesting... i think this will be my next project. very nice 3rd gen u got there nightryder.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:48 PM

Hey Guys,
I can't believe that my Maxima has gotten her air ride...I thought the day would never come.
The frame almost lays on the ground when the bags are totally deflated.

I bought the kit from a company which I will be posting a thread about in the upcoming week or so...

Like my cousin said, my whole trunk was re-done. The entire trunk/rear deck/spare tire well/trunk lid was all peel-n-sealed...it is awesome. Then that was all covered with leather-looking vinyl.
The pictures will be coming soon I am sure. There is one compressor on the left and right side of the trunk. Two air tanks running parallel in the middle, with the nitrous bottle on top of them. The 3 10" Sub box is pushed to the back of the trunk w/ the sub amp, cap, and distribution block mounted to it. The 6x9's and 6.5" component amp and cross-overs are actually mounted to the trunk lid. And of course there are neons lighting up the whole setup...
In a word this setup is absolutely ridiculous...in a good way...and by the way, lol, those ugly wheel well side moldings got ripped off and goo-gone'd...much better...

And if you are thinking of maybe puttin' your Maxima on bags...your pockets better be deep...$$$$$$$$

If you install everything yourself or have a genius cousin or friend you'll probably end up droppin' about $3,000 before it's all said and done...

::::WORD OF ADVICE FOR ANYONE THAT IS GOING TO BAG THEIR MAXIMA::::
Piece your kit together as you go...do not pay a company to send you a complete kit...they never are complete! You will end up being short parts, have defective parts, or they will send you universal parts you have to make work...

Parts List: (Mark, if I am missing something just add it on in...)
1. Air Bags and/or Air Struts
2. Compressor or Compressors (with Oilers, Steel Hoses, and Filters)
3. Air Tank or Air Tanks
4. Valves (Electric Fast Valves are better)
5. Water Traps (One per tank)
6. Air Line
7. Fittings (Compression is best)
8. Switch Box (Many options to choose from)
9. Gauges (Digital Gauges for each corner is nice)
10. Drop Spindles (Not necessary, but will allow 2" lower drop)
11. A lot of wire in different gauge sizes
12. Relays to turn on and off the compressors
13. Fuses
14. Pressure switch to activate the relay to turn off the compressor
15. Teflon tape for every fitting air will pass through
16. Grommets for all the air holes air line will pass through
17. TOOLS: Grinder, spring compressor (would be nice), drill, wrenches, etc.
18. Emergency Fill Valve (If you want to fill the tanks at a service station or with another outside air compressor)

I'm sure I've missed some, but it's almost 2 A.M. and I gotta get up for work soon...so I'll finish tomorrow...
Old 08-24-2004, 10:59 PM

very cool, get some pics of it complete up
Old 08-25-2004, 12:17 AM

holy ****.. that's a SWEET 3gen max. holy ****...
Old 08-25-2004, 05:01 AM
1993 SE

So, thats what u guys do in PA? Baggin Maxima's? Oh man Ive ALWAYS wanted any car with 'draulics. $3000 aint bad for the complete job... if thats all it is I may very well do it.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:32 AM

i should be finishing up with all the little tasks by thursday and hopefully have pics soon after showing more of the install and the finished product. you know i got a poll here i want everyone to chime in and give their 2 cents on. joel here has a chance to get a max with a five speed in it for like $50 it works great and it will have everything there to do the conversion. i have been bugging him to get the stuff required for the conversion for a while but he dosent know if he want's to. the stock auto trani is gonna go and it dosen't mix well the nitrous setup as it is anyway. i need you all to convince joel that he should get this donor car. $50 for a 3rd gen with a carbon fiber hood, intake, running engine and five speed is a deal thats for sure and you ain't gonna find that deal agian.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:41 AM

Thanks for all the props guys...nightryder knows his stuff! Click on his link...he has a crazy TransAm WS-6...hella fast...

Hopefully Mark will finish it all up like he said thursday. Then I'll be able to go get a wheel alignment and he can get some more pictures up on here for you guys...

ShavedMax: Let me know when the rescheduled meet for the 3rd Gen's will be...maybe I can get up there this time...
Old 08-25-2004, 07:11 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by nightryder
i should be finishing up with all the little tasks by thursday and hopefully have pics soon after showing more of the install and the finished product. you know i got a poll here i want everyone to chime in and give their 2 cents on. joel here has a chance to get a max with a five speed in it for like $50 it works great and it will have everything there to do the conversion. i have been bugging him to get the stuff required for the conversion for a while but he dosent know if he want's to. the stock auto trani is gonna go and it dosen't mix well the nitrous setup as it is anyway. i need you all to convince joel that he should get this donor car. $50 for a 3rd gen with a carbon fiber hood, intake, running engine and five speed is a deal thats for sure and you ain't gonna find that deal agian.

LOL $50 is worth it just for the CF hood even if you throw away the rest of the car.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:17 AM
STFU n00b!

hmm... I'm interested in the strut mounts... can you send me some info on where you got those?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by swowlinc
So, thats what u guys do in PA? Baggin Maxima's? Oh man Ive ALWAYS wanted any car with 'draulics. $3000 aint bad for the complete job... if thats all it is I may very well do it.
take the drive up to NY, ill have you done in a week end
Old 08-25-2004, 07:20 AM

Yeah guys, I'm workin on gettin the car...just for the carbon fiber hood and intake...and to sell the rims...then we'll see about the 5speed swap...
Old 08-25-2004, 07:22 AM

Also, I want to rip out the entire black interior out of this other Max and drop it in mine...if it is possible...
Old 08-25-2004, 11:41 AM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by shavedmax
take the drive up to NY, ill have you done in a week end
Pa is so close though!! But it'll only take the weekend to do? Shaved is this the same thing you have on yours? And are u serious? cause I am.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:44 PM

Shaved has hydro's...mine is an air ride setup...his hydro setup takes up his whole trunk...I needed the space for other stuff...hydros are nice if you don't have problems with them...
Old 08-25-2004, 01:22 PM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by molehill84
Shaved has hydro's...mine is an air ride setup...his hydro setup takes up his whole trunk...I needed the space for other stuff...hydros are nice if you don't have problems with them...
so you can do all the good stuff like 3 wheelin,pancake and all that? you got switches? you gotta post more pics.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Banned

what are the pros/cons with the air ride vs. the hydros?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:10 PM

I'm quessin hydros have better responce but are stiffer.

Air is a smoother ride, but harder to locate a leak :P .

...From what I'm told.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:16 PM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
I'm quessin hydros have better responce but are stiffer.

Air is a smoother ride, but harder to locate a leak :P .

...From what I'm told.
I have a buddy that used to hang out at Cluck-u in college park with airbags on his 2002 lincoln continental. The BIG joint. And he used to tell me all the time that airbags were the way to go.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:51 AM

my ride is as smooth as the eibach's and tokiko's that n34jz has on his car. if you put bags on , the ride is great, but generally speaking it rides like a boat(figure like a stock gxe with worn struts)

you can go much lower with juice that you can with air since you dont have to worry about clearing the bag, one of the reasons i wouldnt put air in my car. if the setup is done right the only thing that should leak is the cylinders after wear and tear(figure about a year until it is really noticeable), but with bags you move the stroke of the strut so much that you probably will wear out the struts in a year too. $5 seal is better that $50 strut. you do need more room that air, but if you get 2 3-5 gallon tanks that takes up as much room as the batteries , or you can get rid of your spare and put the batteries there, one pump to either side of the trunk, still have plenty of room.

downside is you do have to factor in 4 batteries and 4 accumamlators into the price of the parts( probably another 600), but the strut bags were 500 a pair up until recently then you still needed hardware fittings 8 valves, 2 tanks, 2 compressors, switchbox, so it evens out.

you do have to charge the batteries, and depending on how often you do it it may be more often than weekly, or you can spend another 350 on a streetcharger and never charge your batteries again. the only problem i've had were my own error, not charging batteries and getting stuck dropped. ive had a couple of friends with air that have push in fittings, that always leak, and are always having problems trying to find the leak.

honestly one isnt better than the other, they are just different. much less maintenance with air, but problems are still there.

and i am being serious swowlinc, i could have everything fabricated and ready to roll in a solid 2 days. email me if you have any questions.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by shavedmax
my ride is as smooth as the eibach's and tokiko's that n34jz has on his car. if you put bags on , the ride is great, but generally speaking it rides like a boat(figure like a stock gxe with worn struts)

yeah when I drove it it felt just as smooth as my car. And there fun to play with

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pichost3/etown6.avi you know you want them lol
Old 08-26-2004, 06:35 AM
1993 SE

and i am being serious swowlinc, i could have everything fabricated and ready to roll in a solid 2 days. email me if you have any questions.
ok. Thanks for the info. I love watching those switches, and I know u know I want 'em!
Old 08-26-2004, 06:59 AM

Hey Guys,

If you are wondering about air vs. juice or anything to do w/ air or juice check out this site...

http://www.bagginit.com/

It's got some good information / FAQ's...
Old 08-26-2004, 11:03 AM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by molehill84
Hey Guys,

If you are wondering about air vs. juice or anything to do w/ air or juice check out this site...

http://www.bagginit.com/

It's got some good information / FAQ's...
They actually took away my desire for bags or hyraulics. Im blown.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:32 PM

i miss being able to drive my car......................
oh well the tile in the bathroon is comming out nice!
juice or ar is no joke, theres alot of responsiblity that goes with the coolness of it. if done right youll have years of fun. i have a friend with a lexus that has been juiced for 4 or 5 years and he has never changed a seal, never had the car leave him stranded. but if it ever does YOU have to know how to fix them because some mechanic wont know a thing about that stuff
Old 08-26-2004, 10:04 PM

So the plans have been set back a few more days...probably acutally about a week...

Another bad valve...
Old 08-31-2004, 11:40 AM

alright well since i am waiting on another valve to come in i might as well post some more pics in the mean time

2 pics of that dash, notice where the air controls are. i did this because whenever the tv was open it would get in the way.

2 pics of the trunk lid
Old 08-31-2004, 11:41 AM

4 pics of the unfinished trunk
Old 08-31-2004, 11:44 AM

3 crappy pics of the car

the switch box

i am still waiting on parts so right now everything else is on hold untill they come in. i'll try and keep eveyone updated.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:43 PM

car looks nice
Old 09-07-2004, 03:43 PM

Tomorrow...

Hey guys, just an update...

The valve will be at Mark's house tomorrow for install...maybe this will finally finish up this crazy ordeal....
Old 09-08-2004, 11:55 AM

nice set up man
Old 09-08-2004, 03:40 PM

that max looks pretty damn nice. the trunk and center console are setup really sweet!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:09 PM

any up dates?? looks nice. I as thinking that or getting custom coilovers. My driving stlye would lean to coilovers(custom made)

that vid bring back memories. Yet another EQ Izzy Production

Quick Reply: air ride install on 94 gxe