3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

corroded VTC solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:33 AM
smokyman13

corroded VTC solenoid

was looking at my vtc solenoids today after i got my strut bar on....and the rubber boot around it is ripped on both, exposing the wires....and I noticed the 2 wires going in were green and corroded looking....I unplug it, and both inside connections are also corroded......Im no wiz at electricity but to me this sounds like it would cause my VTC to not be working because electric current don't work well with corrosion......going to go clean them off with a wire brush and some electric parts cleaner....will let you guys know how it works out... If anyone else has noticed this corrosion build up and if it fixed any problems let me know. Thanks

Old 08-25-2004, 11:20 AM
smokyman13

anyone know if its possible to buy a new connector piece that connects FROM the wire harness TO the VTC solenoid?

Old 08-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

pic of connector?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:13 PM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by DanNY
pic of connector?
I dont really have a camera/scanner set up yet...im working on that as I plan on soon setting up a site and putting pics of my max for you guys.........but it is the connecter that goes on these...what happens is the boot around the wire over time rips apart, and water gets in there seeping through the connecter into where its connected, the VTC solenoid, corroding the VTC solenoid....for those VE's out there, check your VTC solenoid connections....if it looks green and crap like mine do then they may require some cleaning.
http://www.geocities.com/bracecraig/maxima/vtc/vtc.html

Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

if it's the rectangular one w/ the wire lock in it then you can pick up a fuel injector harness or something and cut and splice on the new connector.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:18 AM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by DanNY
if it's the rectangular one w/ the wire lock in it then you can pick up a fuel injector harness or something and cut and splice on the new connector.
I was thinking...maybe just cut the old connector off....hook each wire up to a new skinny medal connector(lack of a better name)... and just directly hooking the wires to it...or I even thought about soldering the wires on...

Old 08-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by smokyman13
I was thinking...maybe just cut the old connector off....hook each wire up to a new skinny medal connector(lack of a better name)... and just directly hooking the wires to it...or I even thought about soldering the wires on...
I did that once because the connectors were in too bad a shape to clean and reuse. The connector fell apart on me. I put new connectors on the wires and put them in there. Be sure to use the plastic shielded connectors so you dont short them together. Also be sure to mark which wire goes where so you dont hook them up backward.

I eventually got new harness connectors when I got my new solinoids though.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:32 PM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by awsm66
I did that once because the connectors were in too bad a shape to clean and reuse. The connector fell apart on me. I put new connectors on the wires and put them in there. Be sure to use the plastic shielded connectors so you dont short them together. Also be sure to mark which wire goes where so you dont hook them up backward.

I eventually got new harness connectors when I got my new solinoids though.
you got a new harness when you got new actual solenoids or had new VTC sprockets put in? also...when you re connected the wires, did you notice any difference now that they had a sure connection?

Old 08-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by smokyman13
you got a new harness when you got new actual solenoids or had new VTC sprockets put in? also...when you re connected the wires, did you notice any difference now that they had a sure connection?

I got new solinoids and harness ends from a low mileage maxima that parted out.

I cant remember if I noticed a difference after I got a good connection or not.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:51 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

wire brush it carefully because over time those connectors will crack apart at a light touch. What your refferring to is called stakons (steak-ons) and hes right use the plastic shielded female connectors and MARK THE WIRES. That is if your connector broke apart. then start your search for new ones. when you get the new ones use a butt connector and heat shrink and or solder it with heat shrink.