3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

help out please thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

help out please thanks!

Hey to all the MAXIMA gods out here!

Okay so an assortment of latest problems and I know various folks out here can help out so here goes:

1) The car is stalling at speed whenever I shove the tranny into neutral. The car runs fine if I keep her in gear but if I set her into neutral and coast it just shuts off once in a while. I turn the engine over and she starts up completely fine in mid-flight. Of course this is kinda dangerous cuz once in a while I'm in a turn and she shuts down and the steering locks up. I have to turn her over right quick or I'm in trouble!

;-)

The idle isn't rough and the new MAF has solved the great shakes. I suspect something electrical. I put in a used alternator last year but I suspect the alternator may not be giving a constant voltage which is causing the RPMs to fluctuate whenever this problem happens.

Of course this problem is intermittent and happens more on some days than others. No error code is being thrown.

So my initial guess is either alternator or distributor/caps/etc. Something electrical cuz the car is running fine. I don't think it's the plugs because I put them in new a year ago BUT they are Bosch platinum +4's which I know everyone hates in Max's but they've been fine until now and there's no roughness............

Any suggestions or ideas?

2) My passenger front window can be rolled down by the driver's side button, but can't be rolled up! The regulator on the passenger door can do it up or down, but on the driver's side it isn't happy rolling it up. Do I just have to clean a terminal or something for that. The motor itself can't be dead as it works on the passenger side. What would be a quick fix for this?

3) I'm planning to hook up a new system in the car and I know this is better posted in the electronics section but it's a quick question. I put in an aftermarket Nak head unit (CD40Z) replacing the Clarion stock unit and I'm assuming that harness will work for any other aftermarket head unit. Am I wrong on that? BTW, I'm selling the Nak head unit I originally purchased it for $575 Canadian but I'll sell it for a LOT less than that. It's a great unit but I want to get a full Fosgate system.

Lastly, is it a mother to remove the amplification from the rear speakers? I know, I know, I'll search, but if someone could give me a quick link or an answer that would be MUCHAS APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks a lot to everyone, Take care and God bless,

Paul

92 MAXIMA SE WHITE ON BLACK 5 SPEED
Old 08-30-2004, 05:21 PM

As for your second problem. This is simple, you need to replace the window switch on your drivers door. I had the same problem, its a quick fix, you can get a window switch from a junkyard for around 50 dollars or from the dealer for around 120. As for the repair, if you really need help go to craig braces page on replacing regulators and the first thing you do is take out the switch.

btw, when mine went bad i started pressing it repeatedly like i had ocd. And eventually i would go up, but then it wouldn't work the next time i pushed it. but your window switch might be bad for a different reason.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:10 PM
STFU n00b!

1. sounds like a vacuum or EGR problem to me. check vacuum hoses for cracks and leaks.

2. clean the terminals on the driver door switches and see if that helps. it may be sealed, I forget. I've fixed some, others you can't.
if you can't clean it, replace it.

3. on my faq page, there's a rear amp bypass procedure listed in there....
but my question is how cna you have an SE manual with non-bose head unit? All the SEs came with Bose, IIRC.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2) If the window rolls up fine from the passenger side, and not from the drivers control, then it could just be that the "up" terminal on the drivers side is dirty. try openening it up and then cleaning the connections.
Also try pushing it the "up" button on the drivers side with a LITTLE force and then see if it makes the connection
Old 08-31-2004, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey boyz thanks a LOT for all the info.

To reply to Matt93SE it might be cuz I bought the car in Canada that I have a stick with that sucky Active Speaker Clarion system. (I've been straddling the border between the B-Lo and TO all my life.) Standard on this SE that I have is leather, electronic automatic climate control (which I don't know if all the US equipped models got cuz I know a friend who has an SE with manual climate control), full power options and of course the VE engine. And of course I had to have stick! It was hard to find cuz of course I bought it used and wanted the super white on black combo too. Also, stupid question: what's IIRC?

Anywho, I think it's a dirty terminal for the window cuz it started working again but it's sluggish? Here's an added element. It was raining a lot and humid the last few days and it didn't work, but today it's sunny and dry and it is working! So I think I'm gonna open up that switch and clean it (I have to open up the door panels anyway to change up those s**tbox speaks in the door). Any suggestions on good metal cleaner or just go to home depot and get whatever?

On the EGR issue, is it enough to just open it up and clean it like in Craig Brace's page? I can't shell out for a new one right now.

Thanks again and is there any way to make sure it's an EGR or vaccuum tube problem? I'm assuming if it's electrical I can take a Fluke and check voltages at critical places or am I WAY off base thinking it might be electrical?

Paul

Old 08-31-2004, 04:51 PM
mod or sell?

you've got a canadian VE5?
that means you don't have the automatic seat belts!
AND you've got ACC?
Dam that makes it the most wanted max out there
Old 09-01-2004, 06:09 AM

yay for the canadian 3rd gen!!
- i had a similar stalling issue with a previous car of mine. it was a bad connection in one of the harnesses. with the car running, wiggle some harnesses to see if you can pin point the location of your problem. that is, if it is infact a bad connection.
- if you replace the window switch make sure you get a switch off a 92-94 maxima because the wiring is different from 89-91 to 92-94. get the part from a wrecking yard though.
- the aftermarket harness will be compatible to most any aftermarket deck.

-if you're a border hopper, sign up on www.torontomaxima.com
you could plan to come into T.O. on a weekend we're having a meet.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey all again, thanks a ton for all the info. Thanks also for letting me know about the stereo harness being okay shock211. I'll sign onto torontomaxima.com to check it out. I don't hang out in TO on the weekends much these days though (responsibilities are a bummer eh? ;-) but I might be able to catch a meet one of these days.

But my Max is rusting a bit eh? Definitely not a show car any longer...........might be embarrassing at the meet.

:-(

But I didn't know the desirability of this 3rd gen thanks for letting me know. I ain't selling it though, I'm driving this baby RIGHT TO THE GROUND!

:-)

I hope to get another good 4-5 years out of her, she only has 110k miles, there's a lotta life left in that VE.

I'll jiggle some of the electricals around to see if I can stall it out while stationary shock!

Take it easy boyz,

Paul