3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

BlehmCo Rear Parallel Links - Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BlehmCo Rear Parallel Links - Review

Suspension before install: 17x7.5 AR wheels, 225/45/17 Daytona tires, KYB GR2 Shocks, Eibach 1.2" Springs, ST front&rear sway bars, BlehmCo reinforced RSB links, Otto FSTB, BlehmCo RSTB, Warpspeed Subframe Connectors (Stages I&II).

Being a suspension fanatic, I took a risk in buying these not knowing how they'll improve my already firm handling. I thought the kit was pricey, but I wanted to go all out on suspension. Now, few months later after testing the limits of my car, I can say that dollar for dollar this is the single best suspension mod for the 3rd gen. Why? I have an automatic, and am limited in what I can do as far as unorthodox driving is concerned. However with these links, well controlled, manipulated drifting and spinning has become a reality. Before the install I didn't even grasp how much the rear end was loose, which greatly inhibited the car's ability to follow through a curve at a high speed. Given my calculations before and after the kit, the speed increase in the corners varies between 25-30%. One particular example is a long curve that I used to max out at 70mph, and am now able to take at 90mph. Keep in mind that I already had a sporty suspension. The speed effect in a slow, 90 degrees type corner is less in terms of numbers (say from 30 to 40), but the percentage still applies. In fact, taking those tight 10mph marked turns F1 style is actually more fun than the high speed curves. To say that the rear end has gone from loose to stiff is an understatement, I felt more like it was planted like a rock in a corner. Consequently, the car is much more balanced and feels like a unity instead two separate parts(front vs. rear). The kit gave the car an improved handling stability that makes it much easier for the driver to steer the car in the desired direction. Compared to the dreaded feeling that no matter what you do the car has a handling mind of his own, this time your car handles according to the way you think it should, like it's part of yourself.

It will take a while until you get used to the car's ability to handle this fast, unless you've dealt with real sports cars before. I haven't and it took me some time to overcome the fear to exploit the suspension's potential. There were a lot turns that I gradually took faster since I didn't think the car would be able to handle them. That said, I'd like to advise that once you come to understand the car's capability, you'll become overconfident and that's where experience, reflexes, and good brakes come into play. If it wasn't for those, I would've made friendship with a couple ditches. I don't have a european style track around me, but if you do please max out this kit there, not on public roads. Matt says on his site that this is for harcore guys only, but without any personal interest to push his product, I say that this is a must-have for anyone who likes solid handling and a sporty ride. The noise increase is minimal and only so over bumps and uneven surfaces. I personally think matt exaggerated the statement on his website where he says "it's rough and tough" just to protect himself from complaints. Contrarily I noticed no loss in comfortability and that may have been due to my already stiff suspension. Without diminishing his other products because I have most of them, I think this is his best.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:13 PM

Awesome review! Would you say that the links induce more oversteer then? I only have the ADDCO bar, but I have a hard time getting the back end to come out on me, not that thats a good thing or anything, but most people say that it increases oversteer. Anyways, I think you just helped convince me what my next suspension purchase will be.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:25 PM

I hate you

tires first lol.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:40 PM
STFU n00b!

I told ya you'd like 'em.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by anaximander
Suspension before install: 17x7.5 AR wheels, 225/45/17 Daytona tires, KYB GR2 Shocks, Eibach 1.2" Springs, ST front&rear sway bars, BlehmCo reinforced RSB links, Otto FSTB, BlehmCo RSTB, Warpspeed Subframe Connectors (Stages I&II).

Being a suspension fanatic, I took a risk in buying these not knowing how they'll improve my already firm handling. I thought the kit was pricey, but I wanted to go all out on suspension. Now, few months later after testing the limits of my car, I can say that dollar for dollar this is the single best suspension mod for the 3rd gen. Why? I have an automatic, and am limited in what I can do as far as unorthodox driving is concerned. However with these links, well controlled, manipulated drifting and spinning has become a reality. Before the install I didn't even grasp how much the rear end was loose, which greatly inhibited the car's ability to follow through a curve at a high speed. Given my calculations before and after the kit, the speed increase in the corners varies between 25-30%. One particular example is a long curve that I used to max out at 70mph, and am now able to take at 90mph. Keep in mind that I already had a sporty suspension. The speed effect in a slow, 90 degrees type corner is less in terms of numbers (say from 30 to 40), but the percentage still applies. In fact, taking those tight 10mph marked turns F1 style is actually more fun than the high speed curves. To say that the rear end has gone from loose to stiff is an understatement, I felt more like it was planted like a rock in a corner. Consequently, the car is much more balanced and feels like a unity instead two separate parts(front vs. rear). The kit gave the car an improved handling stability that makes it much easier for the driver to steer the car in the desired direction. Compared to the dreaded feeling that no matter what you do the car has a handling mind of his own, this time your car handles according to the way you think it should, like it's part of yourself.

It will take a while until you get used to the car's ability to handle this fast, unless you've dealt with real sports cars before. I haven't and it took me some time to overcome the fear to exploit the suspension's potential. There were a lot turns that I gradually took faster since I didn't think the car would be able to handle them. That said, I'd like to advise that once you come to understand the car's capability, you'll become overconfident and that's where experience, reflexes, and good brakes come into play. If it wasn't for those, I would've made friendship with a couple ditches. I don't have a european style track around me, but if you do please max out this kit there, not on public roads. Matt says on his site that this is for harcore guys only, but without any personal interest to push his product, I say that this is a must-have for anyone who likes solid handling and a sporty ride. The noise increase is minimal and only so over bumps and uneven surfaces. I personally think matt exaggerated the statement on his website where he says "it's rough and tough" just to protect himself from complaints. Contrarily I noticed no loss in comfortability and that may have been due to my already stiff suspension. Without diminishing his other products because I have most of them, I think this is his best.
Excellent, those were the same conclusions that I came to and don't have SFCs. I especially agree with the parts in bold.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:25 PM

I have a set that I bought from someone that bought them and didn't install them. I've not installed them yet either.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:37 PM

Matt

Look for my order around Feb, when I get my tax return
Old 09-04-2004, 03:27 AM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by kcidmil
Matt

Look for my order around Feb, when I get my tax return
lol!! me too, good review.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
Awesome review! Would you say that the links induce more oversteer then? I only have the ADDCO bar, but I have a hard time getting the back end to come out on me, not that thats a good thing or anything, but most people say that it increases oversteer. Anyways, I think you just helped convince me what my next suspension purchase will be.
I knew someone would bring up the over/understeer issue. The fact is, as jeff said the max is a naturally understeering car, and it's almost impossible to make it oversteer without compromising the proper suspension balance. The answer to your question is not simple. By definition the links stiffen the rear so they should increase oversteer. But we said before that the rear end was loose before the links were installed, which would mean that it would have been easier to make the rear slide out in a turn. In reality, a loose end didn't allow me to keep the car in control and maintain speed while the rear tires were losing grip in a corner. The links do just that, they permit sharp left/right movements of the steering wheel in curve that make the rear tires lose grip while not losing significant speed and stability. By textbook definition of oversteering, you will come closest to it (but not actually) in slow, sharp turns rather than long and fast ones, where the high speed and vehicle's weight bring out the max's tendency to understeer.

Some other points regarding the kit. I think it's comparable to a suspension turbo. The 20-30% average speed increases were specific to my car, it won't happen if your suspension isn't already sports tuned. Just like a good exhaust system, lightened pulleys etc. allow a forced inducted car to milk more horse power than if it hadn't those upgrades, the links by themselves won't let you see those speed increases, more like 10-20% on average. As to why the numbers vary, it just depends on the type of the turn. You'll see the least increase in downward sloping, high speed curves where the understeering issue brings out the worst in the max; average increase will occur in straight, high speed turns and sharp, slow corners; maximum increase will find place in upward sloping, high speed curves.

Matt, quoting/referencing of this review is at your disposal.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by anaximander
I knew someone would bring up the over/understeer issue. The fact is, as jeff said the max is a naturally understeering car, and it's almost impossible to make it oversteer without compromising the proper suspension balance. The answer to your question is not simple. By definition the links stiffen the rear so they should increase oversteer. But we said before that the rear end was loose before the links were installed, which would mean that it would have been easier to make the rear slide out in a turn. In reality, a loose end didn't allow me to keep the car in control and maintain speed while the rear tires were losing grip in a corner. The links do just that, they permit sharp left/right movements of the steering wheel in curve that make the rear tires lose grip while not losing significant speed and stability. By textbook definition of oversteering, you will come closest to it (but not actually) in slow, sharp turns rather than long and fast ones, where the high speed and vehicle's weight bring out the max's tendency to understeer.

Some other points regarding the kit. I think it's comparable to a suspension turbo. The 20-30% average speed increases were specific to my car, it won't happen if your suspension isn't already sports tuned. Just like a good exhaust system, lightened pulleys etc. allow a forced inducted car to milk more horse power than if it hadn't those upgrades, the links by themselves won't let you see those speed increases, more like 10-20% on average. As to why the numbers vary, it just depends on the type of the turn. You'll see the least increase in downward sloping, high speed curves where the understeering issue brings out the worst in the max; average increase will occur in straight, high speed turns and sharp, slow corners; maximum increase will find place in upward sloping, high speed curves.

Matt, quoting/referencing of this review is at your disposal.
What, exactly, is a suspension turbo?
Old 09-06-2004, 04:08 PM

Haha..just an analogy. Since we don't have coilovers, this kit in my opinion does to our suspension what a turbo does for performance. I was also trying to illustrate the point of speed increases with vs. without other upgrades.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:09 PM
STFU n00b!

LOL @ Austin!
read over it again... it was a metaphor.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
LOL @ Austin!
read over it again... it was a metaphor.
It is Labor Day and I might just be drinking some err... Mountain Dew....
Old 09-08-2004, 10:39 AM

nice write up. i'm convinced that i must have them now.
you should be a salesman for matt. lol
Old 09-08-2004, 10:46 AM
STFU n00b!

I tried to tell you guys this in the exact same words months ago, but nobody believed me.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:31 AM

How are Matt's so much better than the stock links? Do the stock bars flex, or are Matt's brushings just that much better than 14 year old stock rubber?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:33 PM
STFU n00b!

teflon/poly lined Heim joints compared to squishy rubber... zero flex compared to huge amounts of flex.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by -shock211-
nice write up. i'm convinced that i must have them now.
you should be a salesman for matt. lol
That's because I had them for months and didn't get to write a detailed summary until now. They actually stood around for months as well since my tranny went when I got them. I also wanted to fully test the product before giving some halfassed opinion. It made the driving so much more fun that I simply had to give credit where it's due. Regarding salesman, I do have a way with words but unlike them I'm sincere. Honestly, matt should pay a graphic designer to make his website look more professional. The current one doesn't do justice to his work. Some of the products suffer because people are uncertain or don't have sufficient info. If he put in more effort in descriptions, linking positive reviews from here, more pictures, and even some vids, I'm sure his sales would go up. So yeah maybe I could provide some input in how to improve the business, I graduated in finance after all.

Originally Posted by 4dscPat
How are Matt's so much better than the stock links? Do the stock bars flex, or are Matt's brushings just that much better than 14 year old stock rubber?
I should've taken the photos of the whole package. Those things looked scary, more like a monster truck application than a family sedan. What you see on his webpage is only part of what you get. Maybe matt can post images of the entire deal, it'd become obvious then.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:39 PM
STFU n00b!

yeah, I'll admit I need to get the webpage up and going. but that's a lot of $$ I don't have... I'm more concerned with making stuff than making pretty pictures. in a sense, the products sell themselves. I have done ZERO advertising other than on .org and the local Nissan club that I'm VP of, yet some days I'm so busy I can't even sit down for 10 hours.. this week's been rather slow, but it's been slow since the .org went down a few weeks ago.. the server crashing really put a damper on things, but they're picking back up..
Website traffic in July was 6.5GB... August was only 1.9GB.. and a HUGE majority of the referrals were from .org. but such is life.
I could be selling parts elsewhere (ebay, other forums, etc), but I'd rather build my stuff gradually and make sure I get good feedback- like this thread- before I start making thousands of them and wind up with problems because I didn't get something right.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:41 PM

Fair enough.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:08 PM

Matt, have you done a comparison between the ES bushings and yours? Jeff and I were talking about that earlier tonight.

Also any word for just the radius arm? just curious
Old 09-09-2004, 06:27 AM
STFU n00b!

Cliff's notes:
mine >>> energy > new stock >> worn stock

haven't had a chance to call on the radius rods yet.