3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

new maxima owner in da house

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 03:44 PM

new maxima owner in da house

I'm proud to say that as of this friday i will be the owner of a 1993 5 speed nissan maxima . This all happened because my current car (a 1995 chevrolet monte carlo p.o.s) broke down and needs a whole new engine, which would cost almost as much as i paid for the car....so instead I get the maxima! Anyway, I needed to know where are some of the best web sites for aftermarket parts on these cars. I saw a few in the sticky above, but nothin really impressed me, so I thought I could get some feedback from all of you who have probably purchased from at least one online site for your maxima.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:32 PM
mod or sell?

what type of aftermarket parts are you looking for?
Body kits and that sort of BS? you won't find much of that for the max. but the 3rd gen does have plenty of suspension and brake upgrades available for it.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Way out West

Welcome to the .org, good job finding a VE 5-speed.

As for aftermarket stuff, it depends on what you are looking for. Since the car is over 10 years old, there are not a lot of places to go for parts.

Probably your first mod should be to get an aftermarket y-pipe (warpspeedperformance.com) and maybe exhaust and intake if you want to go faster. You can also get an underdrive pulley, aluminum flywheel and racing clutch.

Brakes and suspension stuff are available for handling (like Internetautomart said) and then there are a few exterior mods available like body kits, BMW E36 headlights and of course wheels. After that, you pretty much have to fabricate everything yourself. Maybe I missed something...but that covers most of it.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:48 PM

Turbo!!!!!
Old 09-05-2004, 10:42 PM

Hey, thanks for all the responses and support. I'm not sure what I will be able to do with this car yet, my first priority though is a stereo system. By the way, how do the stock bose speakers sound after 10 years? after that, definately the headlight conversion, so I will have to find a place to pick those up. A body kit might come into play if plan on repainting the car and money depending. And also, suspension and braking upgrades will be definately in store for me before next summer. But I was just trying to get some ideas as to what I could/should do. Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get behind the wheel of my maxima!
Old 09-05-2004, 10:48 PM

well you covered most of the basis for a VE motor. For brake upgrades, check out matt's site www.mattblehm.com He has a few goodies in there, and a few cool suspension stuff as well. Internetautomar has good prices on struts and springs. Body kits, well Custom maxima will be about your best price. Spoilers 4 less has the sarona design kit cheaper than anyone else.

Mine didn't last me 2 months after i got the car. And it had to go, I just put in a whole new stereo system. Of course I got my arm twisted by the wife. She hated listening to the radio, and so tried to play her tapes. Well the driver's speaker would play nothing but static when she tried to play a tape.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:04 AM

why'd you buy a maxima, they suck...

welcome to the club
Old 09-06-2004, 10:41 AM

The Bose stereo sounds good for a 10+ year old factory stereo when it works, which isnt usually the case. Each speaker has it's own amp, and the amps like to die. New ones are outrageously ovepriced. The speaker cones are paper so they can deteriorate it exposed to any moisture. Since Bose thinks they're special, you can replace just the speakers. You could replace just the HU if you get a special 50$ adapter, but you still have mediocre speakers
Old 09-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Body kits and that sort of BS? you won't find much of that for the max.
d00d there are atleast 3 different body kits (even though IMHO only one of them looks good -stillen)

Originally Posted by internetautomar
but the 3rd gen does have plenty of suspension and brake upgrades available for it.
And go-go mods, but you wouldn't know anything about that

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Probably your first mod should be to get an aftermarket y-pipe (warpspeedperformance.com) and maybe exhaust and intake if you want to go faster. You can also get an underdrive pulley, aluminum flywheel and racing clutch.
boy did I really screw up on the order of how we're supposed to mod our cars .

Originally Posted by boosted3rdgen
Turbo!!!!!
Ban Stick!
Old 09-06-2004, 12:44 PM

I don't notice much body change with the stillen kit. That's why I like the sarona design a lot better.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:00 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

before you modify anything please make sure its in top running condition first....The knock sensor on these motors (i have the same car) go bad after 100K. what happens is after the motor gets warm and your on the gas the timing gets RETARDED thus killing power. Also the VTC's (variable timing cam sprokets) go bad and the motor starts to make a clicking noise that sounds like a valve is gonna explode. but thats a severe case its usually a light tap for about 10min on startup then disappears. If your good at mechanics it is a do it yourself job nissan sells the rebuild kits. also check fuel filter air filter, injectors, manifold studs, egr, maf, coil pack, cv joints, struts, any leatking ect...once the car runs in tip top shape then go ahead and mod till your broke...LOL
Old 09-06-2004, 07:05 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MrGone
d00d there are atleast 3 different body kits (even though IMHO only one of them looks good -stillen)
did you notice the word MUCH by chance?
compared to later gens and the accord / civics we've got squat!

Originally Posted by mrgone
And go-go mods, but you wouldn't know anything about that
my car is faster than yours anyways. I don't need mods
Old 09-06-2004, 08:32 PM

We don't need that many body kits like the damn honda's do. Besides, half of the kits they get don't even fit right. I've seen plenty of cars running around with the damn bottom edge of the kit flopping in the wind. And the other half had to end up using sheet metal screws just to keep the damn things on.

They can keep there body kits. I'll stick to my old school style sarona, still have money left in my pocket. And continue kicking all the wannabe honda dumb asses around here. Cause nothing is funnier than stomping the **** of a bumble bee honda, with damn engine breaking bottle in the back (NOS). With my 3500 lb BEAST.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:28 PM

I know what your talkin about with those retarded body kits. I see people driving around with them on their little cavaliers and neons (sorry if I just insulted someone), but the cars just aren't designed for that. Also, most of them are completely outrageous and don't even match the style of the car, as well as the fact that like you said, they are typically completely beat up and hanging everywhere. I think the sarona is in store for me.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:02 AM

3rd gen Maximas have a minimilistic, boxy style. No kit really makes it look better. Maybe a modest front lip, a stock-looking spoiler, wheels, tint, and grill is about all that most people mess with on these cars.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Banned

first of all, get it fixed up and runnin straight. then, it depends on what you want your car to be. You could go fast, or for looks, or both. I chose to go for looks because I dont have enough money to put the parts on a 12 year old car and keep it running. I put on rims, soon lowering springs, and then other stuff that can basically be put on other cars once mine inevitably dies.