3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Yet another speedometer question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Moved on to BMW's :(

Yet another speedometer question...

I had asked this over in the classifieds where I'm looking for a new speedometer cluster, but it occurs to me that I might have better luck in finding the answer in this category:
Will the 145 mph speedo work on a 90SE (came with the 125mph speedo)? Or, is it necessary to change the Vehicle Speed Sensor in order to show the true speed? I don't necessarily plan on travelling above 125mph, but it would open up my search options in finding a new part.

Another speedometer question for those still reading: when I had the cluster apart to search for obvious bad solder joints, I noticed a small potentiometer (adjustment) on the speedometer unit itself. Is this to calibrate the speedo? I know that mine reads approx. 7% fast (reads 43 when I'm doing 40 according to the numerous roadside radar displays in my area). Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2004, 06:21 PM

I've also been wondering this. The tach. looks the same with the exception of the higher redline, but what actions would need to be done to re-calibrate to the 145mph speedo?

The only SE cluster I can find around here has the 145mph set...though I'm waiting for a 125 to come around...since that would greatly simplify things
Old 09-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Banned

I would think so, but I have only heard of people taking the center section of the 92-94SE out and putting it into the earlier 89-91 SE guages, but i wouldnt see the difference between the other guages on it, so.... must just be a wanting to keep your odometer reading original.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Geerhed

Another speedometer question for those still reading: when I had the cluster apart to search for obvious bad solder joints, I noticed a small potentiometer (adjustment) on the speedometer unit itself. Is this to calibrate the speedo? I know that mine reads approx. 7% fast (reads 43 when I'm doing 40 according to the numerous roadside radar displays in my area). Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
Mine is off also, since putting on 17" wheels. Anyone have any comments on this?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:52 AM
mod or sell?

you can swap the gauges between models with no other mods.

and to those whose speedos read off, try getting the right tire size on and you should return to being much closer to the correct speed
Old 09-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Moved on to BMW's :(

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you can swap the gauges between models with no other mods.

and to those whose speedos read off, try getting the right tire size on and you should return to being much closer to the correct speed
Thanks for the info on swapping gauges. However, the speedometer error question still remains as I'm running stock wheels and tires. No bling bling for the middle-aged teacher.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:49 PM

like internetautomar said, yes doin' this cluster swap will work on any '89-'94 GXE. i swapped mine out from a '93 SE (145mph cluster) but i just swapped out the faces instead of the whole cluster and mine reads perfectly fine. i didn't have to calibrate anything. and let me tell u it makes a difference once u swap out ur crappy stock ones to the SE white face gauges. i have some pics of mine in my cardomain site so feel free to look at it and vote.

rick
Old 09-14-2004, 08:05 PM

I have 89 SE gauges for sale $25 plus shipping. They don't have the hyperwhite/red bulbs in there now. Email me at plaw@utmem.edu

Pics at http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/334131/2
Old 09-16-2004, 09:26 AM
bdm

Tell Me How You Removed Just The Faces...

I want to remove just the faces, needles, and bulbs from my se cluster to my gxe cluster.

First I dont want to switch the entire clusters because of the different options such as ovd off, etc. I tried switching the each of the three gauges with the motors into my gxe cluster but the calibration was 10mph off for some reason.(maybe differences in electronics with parts of one and parts of another?)

How do the needles come off? I do know it is different for different vehicles and I dont want to damage anything.

On a side note; can I purchase say red lights for my cluster?

Also my se cluster if i remember has 4 blue bulbs while my gxe has 5 green bulbs. Is this right or am I just missing a blue bulb?

Thanks, sorry for the length.
-bdm
Old 09-16-2004, 03:47 PM
bdm

^^^^^^Bump^^^^^^^
Old 09-16-2004, 06:56 PM

don't know how to change the faces but there's a way to take the needles off i guess. i think i had 4 bulbs with blue covers. you can change them to red or whatever color you want.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by bdm
I want to remove just the faces, needles, and bulbs from my se cluster to my gxe cluster.

First I dont want to switch the entire clusters because of the different options such as ovd off, etc. I tried switching the each of the three gauges with the motors into my gxe cluster but the calibration was 10mph off for some reason.(maybe differences in electronics with parts of one and parts of another?)

How do the needles come off? I do know it is different for different vehicles and I dont want to damage anything.

On a side note; can I purchase say red lights for my cluster?

Also my se cluster if i remember has 4 blue bulbs while my gxe has 5 green bulbs. Is this right or am I just missing a blue bulb?

Thanks, sorry for the length.
-bdm
to answer this question by removin' just the faces from each cluster is by just unscrewing 6 small screws behind the temp. and fuel gauge on the back of the cluster. for the speedo u will have to unscrew only 4 small screws and from the rpm's 3 but u would also have to remove one large one and one small one before gaining access to the rpm gauge. once u get all of the screws off the faces will come right off with the needles. as for the bulbs my GXE cluster came with only 4 green bulbs and my SE cluster came with also 4 blue bulbs both are from '93 models and i have a spare '91 SE cluster sitting next to me that also has only 4 blue bulbs so the 5th one that ur talkin' is not on any of my clusters. yes u can put any kind of colored lights on ur cluster. hope this helps.

rick
Old 09-21-2004, 09:09 PM
bdm

last try before i attempt on destroying my gauges...

I want to remove just the faces i.e. THREE pieces of white paper. not the motors and electronics attached with them. I have already removed each piece with the motors/electronics attached, now all I need is to pull the needles and faces. I know some people have purchased reverse glow gauges so didnt you have to remove the old gauge faces? help.

SIDE NOTE: What size bulb is in the shifter, and how do you get to it.

thanks in advance for your patience.
-bdm

OR I COULD GO BACK TO MY ORIGINAL ATTEMPT WITH KEEPING MY CLUSTER WITH THE MOTORS WITH WHITE GAUGES SWAPPED IN, HOWEVER I WAS OFF BY 10MPH AFTER THE SWAP,.

OR THIS POSSIBILITY: IF i PUT A BULB IN THE SE GAUGE CLUSTER FOR THE OVERDRIVE WILL IT AUTOMATICALLY WORK?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:36 AM
bdm

bump^^^^^^

usually this board is so helpful. slow day i guess.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:29 PM

yes i removed the old gauge faces off of my GXE but also with the small motors and electrical crap it still works. but i don't think just takin' off the " piece of white film " will work. i believe ur gonna damage ur gauges. now for the reverse indiglos im really not sure how those would work cuz i don't have them. to get ur shifter light just remove the shifter cover by pryin' it off gently with a flat head screw driver and if i remember correctly u have to unscrew 4 screws and u'll have access to the bulbs but still not sure cuz i converted my car to a 5-speed so its kind of hard to remember. puttin' the bulb in the O/D slot on the SE guages should work automatically if the slot is there and so is the wirin' on the film behind the cluster but just try it out.

good luck,
Rick