3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

bad smoking after injector change??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

bad smoking after injector change??

This is a little bit of a piggy back of the "fack, I hate my MAxima" thread, but I wanted to focus on the specific problem- Huge clouds of whitish smoke coming out of the tailpipe after I just changed the injectors.

First, I had bought some low mileage 300ZX (non-turbo) injectors off the web, cleaned them up, ohmed them out (all at 12.7) and put them in with new o-rings. Right off the bat, white smoke, and lots of it. So, I figured, OK, maybe the flow rate on those is too high, so I'm just dumping gas in there. Take all those out, put the old ones back in (one is about 13.8) and still the same thing...white smoke, and missing on at least 1 cylinder.

I have changed one injector on this car before with no problems, and no smoke. Is this just a case of bad injector/injectors, or what? Maybe too much carb cleaner residue in the intake ( I cleaned it out, but it was dry before I put it back on) Any help is appreciated. And no, I don't hate my Maxima. Just wish it wasn't such a tempermental biatch sometimes..
Old 09-19-2004, 09:17 PM

yeah i dont hate my maxima either, i love it. I just wish she could be running good. maybe we both have the same problem, and hopefully its an easy fix!
Old 09-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

white smoke means burning water

black smoke means running rich

did you ever take your lower intake manifold off
Old 09-20-2004, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
white smoke means burning water

black smoke means running rich

did you ever take your lower intake manifold off
That's what I would normally think, too, but I only removed what was necessary to get to the injectors- upper plenum and lower plenum. No water areas were exposed by doing that, other than the small water line at the back of the upper plenum.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I'd take the o-rings out and lube them bishes up with plenty or motor oil and reinstall them...its so easy to pinch those fockers and allow a leak, been there myself too..injector jobs blow, especially on the VG!
Old 09-20-2004, 06:45 AM

Well, I started her up again this morning, and no big clouds of smoke, but she's chugging a bit, like it did when I had a bad injector before. Pulled the plug on the cylinder closest to the driver side rear, and that appears to be the one that is not firing. All the others seem to be working.

DA-MAX, I lubed them up pretty good before I installed them, but I'll check into that as well. Thanks for the replies.

So, does everyone agree that it's probably just a bad or leaky injector?

Also, one last question about the 300ZX injectors. Does anyone for sure know the flow rate on those, and are they compatible with the Maxima? The ones I tried are from a 1990 non-turbo ZX.