3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Windows stuck...all of them

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Windows stuck...all of them

OK, hillarious story.
One week all of my windows decided to go haywire, not all at once but during the course of the week they all had a mind and will of their own. So I locked them all and took it into Nissan (Westco Motors in Cairns). They had it for a day, I went to pick it up and they said, that'll be $220. I said cool, is it fixed. "Oh no, not yet that was just the inspection fee".

THEY said it was my wiring loom or something, basically the backbone of my electrical system is stuffed.
So I took it somewhere else.
They knocked out all of the switches and it worked...for a DAY.
So from that point onwards I have had no power windows that work, as I have locked all of them down.
But lately the front one has been working, I though cool. So I went through a KFC drive through just to go "Hooray I can use a driv through again".
When I got home today...it won't go up....

SO...does this sound like a window regulator failure on ALL of my windows or something more serious.

I have spent over $4000 on this P.O.S. That's just repairs...not mods.
I'm REALLY starting to hate my MAX and it got a bloody good thumping around this afternoon I'll tell you that.

From the radiator, to the manifold, exhaust, timing belt to the constant gulping of petrol through to the rattling and squeeking the engine makes, battery drainage from teh ABS constantly running...I tell ya, this thing is one more breakdown away from a visit to the crusher.

Any advice/suggestions cause this is the last god damn straw.

PLEASE E-MAIL ME. PLEASE.

p.s. Westco Motors, you rip off sons of *****es. Burn in hell.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:43 AM
mod or sell?

I think I hear the crusher.

the window regs usually let the window drop when they go bad. as in it won't stay up unless you have something physically holding it up.
Your problem sounds more electrical in nature.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:28 AM

I had some problems with my drivers side window which turned out to be bad solder joints on the window switch circuit board. Since most maximas have had solder problems (Bose amps, Clocks) it might be worth it to resolder the components on that circuit card. I believe a couple of "spring clips" holds the switch assembly on the door panel.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:47 AM

I just bought a 91 Maxima at auction the other week. U-beaut condition and engine sounded sweet, but none of the windows worked - all stuck up (like some women I know). Anyway I figured since they were all dead it might just be a fuse or relay or something, so still worth buying. Turned out all four regulator units were stuffed, plus the master switch. Several hundred dollars later I now have a u-beaut Maxima with working windows. Only problems now are fubar'd electric aerial, and the clock shows no signs of life. Looks like you have to disassemble the inside of the car to get at the clock - any quick fixes ??. Cheers all.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:00 AM
mod or sell?

check the stickies for instructions on how to fix the clock.
I think it's on craig's page
Old 09-24-2004, 02:54 PM

Thanks - found it. Looks like I was right about disassembling the interior. Guess I know what I'm doing this Saturday!.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:00 PM
mod or sell?

so'd you get it done?
Old 09-26-2004, 05:34 PM

Eh...no....went fishing instead. Weather in Brisbane was just too good to spend the day in the garage.