3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Skyline Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004 | 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shaved and n34, I don't think it's stereotyped. It's generally agreed what's rice, matt might be on the extreme side of the view because he's strictly a performance guy. Noone else in the thread characterized the mirrors as rice. Furthermore, if you can't take any criticism for what you post on a public site, then what's the point? Maybe we should form a giant circle jerk everytime a thread is posted and high-five each other. I've taken **** myself adhering to a concept called free speech.
Old 09-29-2004 | 05:53 PM

I never liked gettin ****, mostly the first couple months I was on here...it really pissed me off...but after sitting back and looking at a lot of flamed posts...I have a new outlook: now anytime someone gives me crap about something, I just sit back, and realize, that IM RIGHT

Next time you think about flaming someone for something on this forum...just sit back, think about what you're going to flame, read some of the other posts, and realize you can probably find some respect for it.

P.S. shaved cars looks awesome as always! great work!
Old 09-29-2004 | 06:04 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by shavedmax
i'm not talking about anyone in particular, and i dont think anyone has called me rice or made fun of anything i've done, but it pisses me off that someone can't ask a simple question before he gets his head ripped off for being different. and i agree that it happens on both ends, the guys that know everyting tend to act very cocky about where they are and forget that they had to start somewhere. installing purple neon on a stock baby blue gxe with pinstripes looks horrible(hopefully no one's car actually looks like this beacuse i pulled that example out of my a$$)and could then be deemed "rice". and i could see of someone wanted to put a set of m3 mirrors with m3 markerlamps, again on a stock gxe with stock wheels could be considered rice. but power folding mirrors that only the owner of the car would know dont belong on the car i think is the farthest thing from rice, especially being that the mirrors look stock. some of the newbs need a "riceality check" enough . i just wanted to defend someone who wanted to do something different
and I just wanted to defend someone who has a sig pic of their car parked on a rug.
Old 09-29-2004 | 08:49 PM

well, this is the first time in about 2 months since ive been on the .org...

glad to see that nothing has changed.

i might as well throw in my .02:

the skyline mirrors get a thumbsup from me. my weekends are spent mostly in boston, which means my ride stays parked on a 2-lane street that should be one-way considering how wide it is. when i leave my car, i fold both mirrors in.

I may not have the fastest or the best looking max out there (in fact, i know i dont) but i spend way too much time and effort keeping my car clean and well-maintained for someone to rip off my mirrors. i would personally love to auto-folding mirrors.

besides, folding mirrors will get you girls.
Old 09-29-2004 | 10:08 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by Walka
besides, folding mirrors will get you girls.
and really when you think about it, thats all that really matters in the long run
Old 09-29-2004 | 10:23 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Wurks fur meee!!
Old 09-30-2004 | 12:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

we're all just one big happy family underneath it all
put them on. post pics and it can be a sticky or something. you've motivated me to finally put on my r32 steering wheel and we can compare wiring notes
Old 09-30-2004 | 01:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I may try and figure it out. I want to make it so when I turn on the alarm they fold in. I prob can do it, but I suck at explaining it to others.
Old 09-30-2004 | 11:41 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by Karmapolice
I may try and figure it out. I want to make it so when I turn on the alarm they fold in. I prob can do it, but I suck at explaining it to others.
thats pretty cool, post a vid when done...that shouldn't be too hard to do
Old 09-30-2004 | 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by anaximander
if you can't take any criticism for what you post on a public site, then what's the point? Maybe we should form a giant circle jerk everytime a thread is posted and high-five each other. I've taken **** myself adhering to a concept called free speech.
first off this isn't my thread where i am being offended over wether someone called my mirrors riced out or not, i simply noticed that when someone asks a simple tech related question(has someone done this, does anyone know how to do this) it turns into a "dont do that because it's gay" thread. i was tired of seeing those type of jacked threads so i made a comment about it. when i'm on layitlow.com reading about lowriders if someone posts a similar question it 1, gets answered, or 2, noone knows the answer and the post fades away. there is almost no flaming, and when there is, its one friend breaking another one's chops.

and since this thread has become upbeat, go install them and let us know how it turns out. if you need help with the wiring drop me an email ill try to help you out. it really wouldnt hurt to try to get a schematic(translated into english) to see what each wire is supposed to do
Old 09-30-2004 | 11:36 PM

rice is such an ugly word. im sure it would offend any japanese folk in here. i think we should be a little more respectfull to the race that developed such nice cars for us. (even though we get the watered down models here in the U.S.) question. . . isnt a JDM swap considered rice technically? SIKE im joking dont burn me with flames.
Old 10-01-2004 | 08:33 PM

DAMN U! THAT all I was thinking about reading this bloody forum. I'm going to DO IT!
Old 10-01-2004 | 09:12 PM

shavedmax,

What percentage of your car is still a maxima?

JK, your max looks tight!
Old 10-02-2004 | 02:36 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
DAMN U! THAT all I was thinking about reading this bloody forum. I'm going to DO IT!
Well... why don't you, me, and Karmapolice get together and compare notes??? I'm sure, between the three of us, we'll at LEAST get one of ours' installed....
Old 10-02-2004 | 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by zoltan
shavedmax,

i would say deep down 75% of the car is still maxima. the rest is made of solid gold.

while we're on the subject of stupid useless gadjets, a 2002 max steering wheel fits, its like an inch bigger in diameter, but it fits. it was too dark to take a pic last night so ill get one up today
Old 10-02-2004 | 04:04 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by zoltan
shavedmax,

more like 35% gxe and 40% se, but at least its the percent that still works
Old 10-02-2004 | 08:45 AM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
See, that's where the rice comes in. If you feel the need to pay for something motorized when you can just reach out and do it yourself, that's rice.
it actually doesnt sound like rice at all, it sounds like he is too lazy to reach out and pull them in..sounds like he is trying to make his ride a little more luxurious if you ask me, now maybe if he wanted to put some neon light up fold in mirrors, then you can call it rice
Old 10-02-2004 | 08:56 AM
blacks92seAuto

WTF? apples <> oranges

there's a difference between a starter and useless crap like folding mirrors. they're just like LEDs or neons or fart pipes- they serve no USEFUL purpose.
just because they are useless crap to you doesnt mean that this guy who may live where there are narrow streets isn't getting a usefull purpose out of them, I dont remember him asking you, "should i do this, or is it too ricey?" I think he asked, if anyone had put them on before, thats it......let your opinions stay your own, because it is exactly that. YOUR opinion
Old 10-02-2004 | 09:01 AM
blacks92seAuto

WTF? apples <> oranges

there's a difference between a starter and useless crap like folding mirrors. they're just like LEDs or neons or fart pipes- they serve no USEFUL purpose.
And technically, what is the differnce between a remote starter and electrical fold mirrors???? hmm think about it....are you too lazy to go out to your car and put the key in and start it? or does that remote charger make you drive safer, handle better, or go faster????in your theory matt,
See, that's where the rice comes in. If you feel the need to pay for something motorized when you can just reach out and do it yourself, that's rice.
you need a remote charger to start your car when you can walk out there and put the key in yourself. thats rice
Old 10-02-2004 | 09:08 AM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
That's very odd. I've been to Japan, their parking spaces etc.. are indeed tiny. Some spaces you couldn't fit w/o folding in the mirrors. There are some places where you can't drive by each other w/o doing that. I don't understand how adding an electronic gizmo would cause a car to fall into a cheaper licensing bracket but if you say so.
you gota understand that they are an entirely different country with different beliefs and the whole 9 yards. maybe to them, fold in mirrors make it less likely to get them ripped off, so theirfor insurance dont need to worry about replacing them, therefore they get the car in a cheaper bracket??
I dont know, im not japanaese
Old 10-02-2004 | 10:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

Wha???? Dude already explained why.

Originally Posted by blacks92seAuto
you gota understand that they are an entirely different country with different beliefs and the whole 9 yards. maybe to them, fold in mirrors make it less likely to get them ripped off, so theirfor insurance dont need to worry about replacing them, therefore they get the car in a cheaper bracket??
I dont know, im not japanaese
Old 10-02-2004 | 02:28 PM

Just got done putting them on. They look stock and work great. I used some Max and some Sky parts. The only thing is that I had to put the switch in sideways. I like em, very cool.
Old 10-02-2004 | 03:06 PM

Just got done putting them on. They look stock and work great. I used some Max and some Sky parts. The only thing is that I had to put the switch in sideways. I like em, very cool.

i would ask for pics, but they looks stock so oh well. do they work properly?
Old 10-02-2004 | 03:11 PM

They work perfect. The hardest part was figuring out the wiring. Looking at the car you could never tell. The only difference from stock is the mirrors are high gloss black.
Old 10-02-2004 | 05:05 PM

Can you post of PM me some info on the wires please?
Old 10-02-2004 | 07:32 PM
blacks92seAuto

They work perfect. The hardest part was figuring out the wiring. Looking at the car you could never tell. The only difference from stock is the mirrors are high gloss black.
badass dude!
Old 10-03-2004 | 02:47 AM

Wiring info: If you look at the mirror switch socket, you'll see 2 blocks within the socket - 1x4 & 1x6. You should have 7 or 8 wires going into those blocks, with 2 empty spaces in the 1x6 block. This is for the folding mirrors. The JDM wiring colors are light green / black trace & light green / red trace. Hook up wires to these pins & run them to each mirror thru the door wiring. That's probably the hardest part!
I have a few JDM switch's for both heated & non-heated folding mirrors mirrors - they cost NZ$5 each!

I was looking at my mirror mounting plate & I can see how the skyline mirrors would fit with little problem - I'll have to try it as I like the skyline mirrors better, except they don't have the heated feature, which is useful when you go skiing...

Rice feature or not, those that have them use them & like them.

Matt, your view on what constitutes rice is your opinion, and you're allowed that. However, your reasoning is an interesting insight as to why the rest of the world questions & denigrates US Foreign Policy. FTR: I'm pro-US. Peace All!!!