3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Skyline Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004 | 09:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Skyline Mirrors

Ive had a set of Skyline mirrors (fold in kind) and switch sitting around for a while and want to put them on my max. Has anyone seen this or have a link to a wiring diagram I can use? I know its a long shot but I figured Id ask. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2004 | 05:08 AM
mod or sell?

how many wires on the skyline mirrors?
the max only uses 3 to move it (2 more for heat )
Old 09-27-2004 | 06:44 AM
STFU n00b!

don't do it.
Old 09-27-2004 | 07:02 AM

never saw them do they look good

Old 09-27-2004 | 07:06 AM
STFU n00b!

check ebay. You'll find them right next to LED lights, A-pillar fire extinguishers, and fart can exhausts.
Old 09-27-2004 | 07:27 AM

well i found http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

and they look almost like ours why eaven think of changing them just a waste of time i think look at the switch it almost looks like ours
Old 09-27-2004 | 07:28 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

they aren't that bad...they basically look stock, it'd be kinda cool to have them fold in when you turn the ignition off.

Old 09-27-2004 | 07:34 AM
STFU n00b!

See, that's where the rice comes in. If you feel the need to pay for something motorized when you can just reach out and do it yourself, that's rice.
Old 09-27-2004 | 07:48 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
See, that's where the rice comes in. If you feel the need to pay for something motorized when you can just reach out and do it yourself, that's rice.
So I take it you only use hand tools to work on your car Matt?
Old 09-27-2004 | 07:52 AM

so matt how do you start your car with the starter or you push your car down the hill and pop the clutch ???
Old 09-27-2004 | 07:57 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
oh come on now Matt...not everyone is a hardcore DIYer
Old 09-27-2004 | 09:10 AM
STFU n00b!

WTF? apples <> oranges

there's a difference between a starter and useless crap like folding mirrors. they're just like LEDs or neons or fart pipes- they serve no USEFUL purpose.
Old 09-27-2004 | 09:21 AM

Actually, they do serve a purpose, maybe not performance wise, but if the owner of a car wants to personalize his ride to make it stand out from others, then let him go for it. Granted, that most people have horrible taste, and will completley bastardise their car. But you have to take the good with the bad.
Holla!
Old 09-27-2004 | 09:49 AM

Having motorized folding mirrors may seem like a useless feature, but it can have some usefulness to them. My girlfriend’s 2000, MB ML320 has motorized folding mirrors. At first this may seem like some electronic, Jedi mind trick. However, when you are trying to drive this wide truck into a townhouse’s narrow garage—that is already partially filled with other items—the folding mirrors come in real handy. With the mirrors fully out, the truck may only have about an inch clearance on each side. Hit the switch to fold them in and the clearance jumps to around 5 inches on each side. Even though the max is quite a bit narrower than the ML320, this feature would be nice to help prevent mirror damage when trying to pull into a garage. Heck adjusting the mirrors is motorized. I don’t think anyone one participating in this forum would rather reach out the passenger window while driving to adjust the visibility of the passenger side, side view mirror. Just as long as the outer housing matches the fit and finish of the rest of the car, I say go for it.

Heck, talk about a useless feature, the turning lamp that illuminates on the corners with the turn signal is selected. That is useless. A much better setup would be to have some decent marker lights to let the people on the side of you know what you are about to do—or actually doing. Turn on your hazards and look at the max from the side. A person viewing the car from the side would not know that the hazards or the turn signals are on.
Old 09-27-2004 | 10:02 AM
I'm needing a caw

Um yeah. The turn light is handy. I've seen more than one person look my way when I put my turn signal on. And that's exactly what it was designed to do.

Folding mirrors in Japan. Necessary due to very small garage spaces. In the USA, not needed and no one is really gonna know unless you are at a show flippin' da' mirror switches on/off.
Old 09-27-2004 | 10:09 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I wish they made mirrors that folded in automaticlly when my wife drives my car so she'd quit smacking my mirrors on the mailbox!!!
Old 09-27-2004 | 10:25 AM
STFU n00b!

If you have problems hitting the Maxima mirrors on a garage door, then you either:
1. have a TINY garage door
2. Can't drive.

I'd put more money on #2.
Old 09-27-2004 | 10:49 AM

I live on a narrow street and have to fold mine in anyway.
Old 09-27-2004 | 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Karmapolice
I live on a narrow street and have to fold mine in anyway.

Then you have a need for them. As you pull up to your street, just hit the switch and waalaa. As a matter of fact, I wish you would do that mod. The moment you have them installed and working and looking as if they were O.E.M, people are going to be riding your nutz and begging you for a write-up as to how you did it. As a driver who has used them on another car, I can see the usefulness—albeit infrequently—of this mod.
Old 09-27-2004 | 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by icepick
so matt how do you start your car with the starter or you push your car down the hill and pop the clutch ???
ShiAt, with my f**#ed alarm system, this is sometimes a necesiity... is this bad?
Old 09-27-2004 | 10:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

as much as i love the skyline and worship it, putting on self-folding mirrors? the automatic seat belt is bad enough. i cannot stand over-engineered crap, even if it is from godzilla. which model skyline are these from anyway? i've never heard of such a thing.

if you can get them to seamlessly fit and work, then you'd probaby get a lot of props for them, even with a large number of others who will think they are gay.
Old 09-28-2004 | 01:18 AM

Im leaning on not putting them on. Seems like its not worth the hassle.
Old 09-28-2004 | 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Folding mirrors in Japan. Necessary due to very small garage spaces. In the USA, not needed and no one is really gonna know unless you are at a show flippin' da' mirror switches on/off.
Not gonna say any of you guys are ignorant, just not educated when it comes to the needs/uses of electrically folding mirrors...

1) In Japan, they're fitted for registration cost reasons - having the mirrors fold in allows the car to fall into a cheaper licensing bracket. Has nothing to do with garage spaces!

2) Skyline mirrors won't bolt onto the max, nor can you just replace the internals as A) the mounting plate is different & B) the hinge plate is different.

3) These mirrors do not automatically fold in when you take the key out - they have a selector switch with the main mirror switch. Note that they will fold in & out with the key at the Accessory position. To make them fold automatically, you'd need to rewire the switch feed.

4) Electrically folding mirrors are a great feature to have on a car - they're def not rice! I can understand some people on this board thinking that, only because it's not a regular feature on US cars. However, don't be so quick to judge. In NZ, due to the high number of used Japanese imports, it's no big deal to have electrically folding mirrors & def not considered rice!

I modded my mirrors with JDM stanza internals for a total cost of NZ$32, (they use the same mirror shape & housing, different mounting plate) and use them all the time, esp when parked on the street - stops people from knocking them off etc.
I had to add two wires per side & hook it up to the mirror switch plug. I also replaced the mirror switch with one from a VE JDM Max - it has folding & heated mirrors. The heated mirror wiring is gonna be done in the new year as I want to pull the dash & do it properly.
Old 09-28-2004 | 08:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

That's very odd. I've been to Japan, their parking spaces etc.. are indeed tiny. Some spaces you couldn't fit w/o folding in the mirrors. There are some places where you can't drive by each other w/o doing that. I don't understand how adding an electronic gizmo would cause a car to fall into a cheaper licensing bracket but if you say so.
Old 09-28-2004 | 09:23 AM

nismobaron - there was someone on here several years ago that did it with the skyline parts combined with the base piece from a maxima so I think it can be done

still seems like more effort than its worth, but people could probably say that about my climate control so go for it if you have some time to mess with it
Old 09-28-2004 | 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
they aren't that bad...they basically look stock, it'd be kinda cool to have them fold in when you turn the ignition off.

Forget the folding feature... I'm digging the mirror controls right on the driver's side window controls
Old 09-28-2004 | 01:59 PM

That's very odd. I've been to Japan, their parking spaces etc.. are indeed tiny. Some spaces you couldn't fit w/o folding in the mirrors. There are some places where you can't drive by each other w/o doing that. I don't understand how adding an electronic gizmo would cause a car to fall into a cheaper licensing bracket but if you say so.
Oh, I'm not saying that the parking spaces in Japan aren't small, just the primary reason for the electrically folding mirrors is the licensing costs - cars in Japan are charged according to car length, width, engine size and age.
Before the folding mirrors, the Japanese used to mount them on the fenders (very fugly) so the car could be made as cheap as possible to licence, as the overall width was narrower with them mounted their than on the doors.
You'd find the average American truck very expensive to license in Japan, even more so with a F350 or Hummer!

The licensing cost is also the primary reason why Japanese cars have a multitude of engine sizes - VG20, VQ20, VQ25, RB20, RB25, RB30, CA18, CA20, SR18, SR20, SR24 (very rare) etc, etc.

Hey Craig - interesting to see someone has made the skyline mirror fit. Def a lotta work must have gone into that, but then that's why we personalize our cars!
Old 09-28-2004 | 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by nismobaron
Hey Craig - interesting to see someone has made the skyline mirror fit. Def a lotta work must have gone into that, but then that's why we personalize our cars!
I dont remember exact details unfortunately but the guy made it seem pretty straightforward. I talked to him a little because I broke off my pass side mirror (backing up steep narrow driveway ) and I was just looking for any replacement.

interesting about the licensing costs being based on width and therefore the folding mirrors and the older style ugly mirrors on the fenders
Old 09-28-2004 | 03:16 PM

if you can pull it off go for it, the mirror looks almost stock so it would be a nice unneeded ascessory like keyless entry, power trunks, cruise, climate control etc. it gets cool points in my book

its funny to see that unless you talk about dooing a performance modification to a 3rd generation maxima you get your a$$ chewed out by the hardcore guys who think that an 89-94 maxima is worth more than 4000 in mint condition.(or that someone normal would pay more than that, even for a ve5sp with less that 100k)

go tell the guy with a late model lexus or a mercedes or an acura that his car is "riced out" because that when you key the car of the steering wheel elevates up and seat moves back so its eases the entry/exit of the occupant. not much different to have your mirrors fold in automatically.

but dumping 10 grand into turbo kits,urethane bushings,suspension kits, clutches that break engine crossmembers and clutch pedal brackets, bigger brakes, etc isnt rice because it doesnt have stickers down the side or a fart can out the back. add whatever you want to a maxima, its still japanese, may not be a 4 cylinder, but its rice.

and that isnt aimed at anyone in particular, but if someone wants to customize their maxima differently than yours, dont put them down for it. leave the thread alone move onto the thread that gets you off.
Old 09-28-2004 | 06:55 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by shavedmax

and that isnt aimed at anyone in particular, but if someone wants to customize their maxima differently than yours, dont put them down for it. leave the thread alone move onto the thread that gets you off.
Old 09-28-2004 | 10:17 PM

add whatever you want to a maxima, its still japanese, may not be a 4 cylinder, but its rice.
Silly me, I thought rice was an absurdly over-the-top modification that serves no purpose other than being an attention *****. Thanks for correcting my and 90% of the general view on what it is.

The mirrors are definitely not overdone, they're a stock-looking convenience feature for someone who's willing to put in the time to make it work.
Old 09-28-2004 | 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by anaximander
Silly me, I thought rice was an absurdly over-the-top modification that serves no purpose other than being an attention *****. Thanks for correcting my and 90% of the general view on what it is.

i'm of the opinion that anything that makes your vehicle safer (suspension and brake mods go here), more powerful (not necessarily faster..y-pipe, lightweight flywheel), and more comfortable (suede heated/cooled seats, a/v) is a worthwhile investment and a mod and cannot be considered as being "rice". Those are the rules as I state them. A spoiler does NOT make your car do any of the above. You do not drive that fast to make a difference, it does not make it safer (don't even give me the third brake light crap) and it sure as heck doesn't make you more comfortable. A remote start definitely does (pre-heat in winter), as do a/v mods (driving comfort) to mention a few.

To the guy that lives in a street that requires him folding his mirrors to drive on it, you need to move to a new neighborhood. Your mirrors should be the least of your concerns.

I have a tiny garage imo, but it doesnt require me folding the mirrors to get out of the car, much less to get into the garage itself. If you have to fold your mirrors to get out of your car, I'm not sure you can get out through the door at all...at least I don't think i'd be able to and I'm as skinny as they get @ 152lbs/6'1. I only fold them when I have to go around the car back and forth frequently, but most times, I leave them and just squeeze past.

So in essence, I really don't see any major benefit in getting them.
Old 09-28-2004 | 11:29 PM

I don't need to fold them in to drive down the street. When I park its a good idea to fold in the side facing the street or you might lose it. Philly people will know what I'm talking about. Its seems my little post on how to go about putting mirrors on my car sparked a 2 page rice debate.
Old 09-28-2004 | 11:43 PM

the more i think this out, the more borderline this issue is: who is going to know the mirrors autofold by looking at them except for the owner? and the occasional bystander who notices? hmm.

i live in LA, and on occasion, do fold my mirrors in, especially the driver's side, as some places to park are pretty dam$ narrow, particularly in the hollywood hills. those are often one-lane wonders that have endless blind curves and crannies. so i will support the mirror-folding issue.

the auto-folding. well, if you put stickers on the actual mirrors, and they then auto-fold, that is gay. and that is rice. if you put stickers on stock maxima mirrors, that is gay and that is rice. if you refrain from stickers on stock maxima mirrors, that is inocuous and not at issue. if you refrain from putting stickers on the folding skyline mirrors, and nobody actually witnesses them retract, then on that occasion, they are not gay. if someone sees them retract without stickers, they are on that moment only, riced out. if nobody is a witness to a tree falling in the forest, does it make a sound? is it riced out?
Old 09-29-2004 | 12:06 AM

huh?
Old 09-29-2004 | 02:19 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

if you can pull it off go for it, the mirror looks almost stock so it would be a nice unneeded ascessory like keyless entry, power trunks, cruise, climate control etc. it gets cool points in my book

its funny to see that unless you talk about dooing a performance modification to a 3rd generation maxima you get your a$$ chewed out by the hardcore guys who think that an 89-94 maxima is worth more than 4000 in mint condition.(or that someone normal would pay more than that, even for a ve5sp with less that 100k)

go tell the guy with a late model lexus or a mercedes or an acura that his car is "riced out" because that when you key the car of the steering wheel elevates up and seat moves back so its eases the entry/exit of the occupant. not much different to have your mirrors fold in automatically.

but dumping 10 grand into turbo kits,urethane bushings,suspension kits, clutches that break engine crossmembers and clutch pedal brackets, bigger brakes, etc isnt rice because it doesnt have stickers down the side or a fart can out the back. add whatever you want to a maxima, its still japanese, may not be a 4 cylinder, but its rice.

J, I've wanted to say what you've so eloquently said oh-so-many times, it's not funny!! So mad props to THAT!!

Karmapolice - I've got the same mirrors, and have been sitting on them for the better part of a year now. I think my switch is different, though - because mine actually snaps right into the OEM spot on the dash (but sits sideways). And the switch even WORKS!! I might have a different model than yours, though. Mirrors aren't mounted, but then again, I'm working on another project at the moment and have put that part on hold!

I know I've talked to nismobaron at one point, as well as a few people on a few other forums about the wiring aspects of this, and it ISN'T out of the realm of being a possibility - just time consuming.

If I can find the wiring info I've got, I'll PM you and let you know.

(and IBTL - because eventually someone's gonna thing this post IS and bolt it down)
Old 09-29-2004 | 04:32 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

The mirrors are definitely not overdone, they're a stock-looking convenience feature for someone who's willing to put in the time to make it work.

The point was that whatever mod you add someone may consider it ricey. And mabey some people like to bring attention to their car, just becase one cant afford certain things doesnt mean one should bash others who can, who gives a damn? Its his car let him do what he wants. He didnt ask what you thought of it just if anyone had done it.

And for everyone saying "who will ever see them fold in?" who gives a **** mabey he likes them and mabey its not about having other people see it but adding a cool feature to his car.

And half of you newbs are just on the ****ing bandwagon, because if Matt posted this mod you would all be on his nuts talking about how great it is and how he is an asset to the maxima community, so you few need to stfu and play your damn position because you know im right.

Some people may consider paying close to $1000 to try to make a 12 year old car have 20-30 more hp ricey or gay, so f you all who cant form your own opinion, but wait for someone else to start the bashing and then play along thats weak ****.
Old 09-29-2004 | 03:20 PM

the funniest part is that the tern rice (aka rice burner) was made up by a bunch of domestic car owners to categorize imported cars that are in any way shape or form "souped up". got spoilers; rice burner, got fart can exhaust; rice burner, got neon; rice burner, got a 10k into motor trans etc, who cares its still a POS jap car, you rice burner. that's who stereotyped the "rice burners"

that one maxima owner call another one rice is like a pot calling a kettle black.

whatever, $hit like this makes me tend to stay away from the org. if you havent dumped all your hard earned cash into performace, youre not cool. oh well, guess im not cool then
Old 09-29-2004 | 04:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Don't quite know who you are talking about about I don't remember making fun of your mods. I don't particularly like bag suspensions but I can appreciate it when it's mixed in with nice wheels/paint job/tastefully done interior/exterior mods. Your car is not my style but it's still nice and I've given you props on the quality.

It's the stock or near stock cars with neons, altezzas etc... that make the car cheezy and cheap looking. ie... would be better served if it wasn't touched at all.

But all well. I asked a simple question about a gentleman with his turbo system and got my head chewed off for no reason. So looks like I get it from both camps.

that one maxima owner call another one rice is like a pot calling a kettle black.

whatever, $hit like this makes me tend to stay away from the org. if you havent dumped all your hard earned cash into performace, youre not cool. oh well, guess im not cool then
Old 09-29-2004 | 04:58 PM

Don't quite know who you are talking about about I don't remember making fun of your mods. I don't particularly like bag suspensions but I can appreciate it when it's mixed in with nice wheels/paint job/tastefully done interior/exterior mods. Your car is not my style but it's still nice and I've given you props on the quality.

It's the stock or near stock cars with neons, altezzas etc... that make the car cheezy and cheap looking. ie... would be better served if it wasn't touched at all.

But all well. I asked a simple question about a gentleman with his turbo system and got my head chewed off for no reason. So looks like I get it from both camps.
i'm not talking about anyone in particular, and i dont think anyone has called me rice or made fun of anything i've done, but it pisses me off that someone can't ask a simple question before he gets his head ripped off for being different. and i agree that it happens on both ends, the guys that know everyting tend to act very cocky about where they are and forget that they had to start somewhere. installing purple neon on a stock baby blue gxe with pinstripes looks horrible(hopefully no one's car actually looks like this beacuse i pulled that example out of my a$$)and could then be deemed "rice". and i could see of someone wanted to put a set of m3 mirrors with m3 markerlamps, again on a stock gxe with stock wheels could be considered rice. but power folding mirrors that only the owner of the car would know dont belong on the car i think is the farthest thing from rice, especially being that the mirrors look stock. some of the newbs need a "riceality check" enough . i just wanted to defend someone who wanted to do something different

Quick Reply: Skyline Mirrors