3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

question on oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 06:04 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

question on oil pressure and fitment of steering wheel

So i hooked my oil pressure gauge up the other day finally. But still need another piece to hook in the stock sensor also as the "T" fitting alone does not leave enough room to mount both between the alternator and block. i need about a 4" extension piece to come off the "t" fitting then i should be able to situate it properly. However i noticed when cold i have about 53-55psi, ok so far....under normal load around 62-67psi, still ok...under full throttle high rpm around 5500-6500 75-79psi still ok...however heres the problem at idle when warmed up the pressure drops to around 6-8 psi at 750-800 rpm....is that normal or am i missing something here ? BTW gauge is cyberdyne digital..(red matches my passport radar detector) yes its cheezy but thats another thread....

also my oil light isnt comming on and the stock sensor is unplugged temporarily.....weird. and yes the light comes on when i turn the key to "on"

so do you think this would fit ? looks like its from a 240..NO ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...927537847&rd=1
Old 10-12-2004, 10:03 AM
NWP Engineering.com

When I installed my oil pressure gauge on my VE, I didn't have enough room for the electric sending unit of my gauge AND the stock oil pressure switch. So, I remove the stock OP switch and left it unplugged. My OP light doesn't come on either and it won't come on when the OP drops below the set amount (6psi I believe).

Your OP at idle should be 9psi. I get around 10-12psi at idle in my VE and around 95psi at WOT. The factory service manual says that pressure at 3K should be between 60-74. Mine is right at 73-75psi at 3K under load. At 6K, it's 95psi.

Just make sure you have 4 quarts of oil in your motor and check the level on the dipstick. When oil gets drastically low, you lose pressure when the oil pump has no oil to suck up at times. I doubt that's your problem, but it's always good to check the oil level.

Also, oil leaks can affect OP and cause it to drop. And clogged oil passages can cause pressure to rise. Check for leaks under your car and see if you smell any burning oil when the motor is running.

Edit: Also, in order to add the T fitting that you need in that tight place, you might have to run a little length of hose out in the open, then add your T fitting and then you can tap anything to it.

These pics were taken from a very informative turbo website I came acrossed. http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html It was explaining how hanging your heavy oil pressure sending unit off the block might be bad b/c of the extra weight could break the fitting off. So, it shows you how to route a hose and add extra T fittings to adapt anything you want.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:09 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

good to know the stock pressure setting mine sits between 7-12 at idle i just thought that that was low but if thats what the VE runs at then thats fine by me. do you think if the VE motor would benefit fron a slightly higher pressure at idle ? do they even make a high volume oil pump for the VE ? The hose trick is a good idea ill have to do that so as to not break the adapter. Any special hose i need ? im assuming 1/8" high pressure ? also why wont the stock sensor some on when the pressure is low ? whats the point of the dummy light then ???

DAMN these great deals i find........i think its time for me to just break out the MIG and make these a custom fitment......they look soooo nice....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...927179062&rd=1
Old 10-12-2004, 06:57 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
good to know the stock pressure setting mine sits between 7-12 at idle i just thought that that was low but if thats what the VE runs at then thats fine by me. do you think if the VE motor would benefit fron a slightly higher pressure at idle ? do they even make a high volume oil pump for the VE ? The hose trick is a good idea ill have to do that so as to not break the adapter. Any special hose i need ? im assuming 1/8" high pressure ? also why wont the stock sensor some on when the pressure is low ? whats the point of the dummy light then ???
I really can't say if the VE would benefit from higher pressure. I just know it's got one of the highest OPs I've ever seen with any motor. I mean at redline. I don't know if they make a high volume oil pump specifically made for the VE. I doubt it.

I would get some nice oil pressure fittings. A nice T fitting and some good barbed fittings to screw into the T. Then, route some really nice high pressure hose. Make sure it's ok to allow oil to flow in it. You might want to ask the guy you buy it from. Whatever size barbed fittings you have, measure it and get that size hose so it's a tight fit. And of course some nice hose clamps.

When I said the stock OP light won't come on, I meant it won't come on for you b/c you don't have it plugged in anymore. haha Sorry for the misunderstanding. The dummy light does work if you have it plugged in.